The Student Room Group

Do not have any qualifications because I came from another country

So the thing is I just came to the uk at the age of 17 on month January but I don't have any qualifications even though I was learning at my home country by some volunteers. I also am familiar with the Individual A level courses given in colleges(biology chemistry and physics also mathematics )but i have no certificates to prove that I was learning. I've been looking to some informations but google couldn't give me the right answers. my plan is to go to uni as soon as possible and learn medicine, can anyone help me? what should I do in order to apply to medical universities? gcse or A level or some diploma(I want the fastest as possible)
Reply 1
Original post by Okayest
So the thing is I just came to the uk at the age of 17 on month January but I don't have any qualifications even though I was learning at my home country by some volunteers. I also am familiar with the Individual A level courses given in colleges(biology chemistry and physics also mathematics )but i have no certificates to prove that I was learning. I've been looking to some informations but google couldn't give me the right answers. my plan is to go to uni as soon as possible and learn medicine, can anyone help me? what should I do in order to apply to medical universities? gcse or A level or some diploma(I want the fastest as possible)

The fastest possible and best way in my opinion is to get into a sixth form and start doing A Levels, if you would like to go through this route, start by contacting your local sixth forms and discuss if anything can be done. Most sixth forms would've required a certain GCSE grade prior but some may be able to make an exemption or offer alternative arrangements considering your situation.

If none are possible, you probably should take the GCSE exams before applying for sixth forms. Have a look at the GCSE specifications for different exam boards for the compulsory subjects and see if you will be able to take the exams in the next exam season (Summer 2023). When you do feel confident and think you can take the exams, contact local exam centres (mainly schools, sixth forms, and colleges) to see if you will be able to take the exams as a private candidate, this may come at a cost. Please do this as quickly as possible as there may be deadlines as to when you can apply. Since you would not be studying in a school, you will not be able produce reliable predicted grades, thus you will need to apply to sixth forms to study their A Level courses after you received your results in August, as a late candidate.

You can also try directly applying as a private candidate for the A Level subjects, for the closest exam season (Summer 2023) if you are confident, but it is known for its difficulty so please do try some past papers before doing so. Then apply to university through UCAS when you receive your grades. Again, you do not have a reliable person to produce your predicted grades and reference if you go down this route so you may need to apply through clearing after the A Levels results day and can apply for some jobs and ask managers to write your reference.

Best of luck in doing this, this journey sure sounds like a tough one but you will definitely make it. If you do have any more questions please feel free to ask and I also want to see how you progress here

Private candidate information:
https://thecommunityschools.co.uk/articles/how-to-book-an-exam-as-a-private-candidate/
Reply 2
Original post by Zantu
The fastest possible and best way in my opinion is to get into a sixth form and start doing A Levels, if you would like to go through this route, start by contacting your local sixth forms and discuss if anything can be done. Most sixth forms would've required a certain GCSE grade prior but some may be able to make an exemption or offer alternative arrangements considering your situation.

If none are possible, you probably should take the GCSE exams before applying for sixth forms. Have a look at the GCSE specifications for different exam boards for the compulsory subjects and see if you will be able to take the exams in the next exam season (Summer 2023). When you do feel confident and think you can take the exams, contact local exam centres (mainly schools, sixth forms, and colleges) to see if you will be able to take the exams as a private candidate, this may come at a cost. Please do this as quickly as possible as there may be deadlines as to when you can apply. Since you would not be studying in a school, you will not be able produce reliable predicted grades, thus you will need to apply to sixth forms to study their A Level courses after you received your results in August, as a late candidate.

You can also try directly applying as a private candidate for the A Level subjects, for the closest exam season (Summer 2023) if you are confident, but it is known for its difficulty so please do try some past papers before doing so. Then apply to university through UCAS when you receive your grades. Again, you do not have a reliable person to produce your predicted grades and reference if you go down this route so you may need to apply through clearing after the A Levels results day and can apply for some jobs and ask managers to write your reference.

Best of luck in doing this, this journey sure sounds like a tough one but you will definitely make it. If you do have any more questions please feel free to ask and I also want to see how you progress here

Private candidate information:
https://thecommunityschools.co.uk/articles/how-to-book-an-exam-as-a-private-candidate/

Thanks for kindly response, I want to ask if there is any possible way to learn 3 A levels in olny a year except online learning? And any possible ways to colleges and directly allow me to take A level courses with out any gcse qualifications. Like by assessing and giving me some exams to know at what level I am?
Reply 3
Original post by Okayest
Thanks for kindly response, I want to ask if there is any possible way to learn 3 A levels in olny a year except online learning? And any possible ways to colleges and directly allow me to take A level courses with out any gcse qualifications. Like by assessing and giving me some exams to know at what level I am?

If that's the case you will need to contact sixth forms in your area and see if they would allow you to join the respective sixth form, they may give you some exams to test your current level and then possibly make an offer but this is all dependent to individual schools. Also, if you want to go to uni, you will still need a GCSE qualification in Maths and English, so you may also need to ask the school about it
Are you sure your study aligns with the lecel taught in the UK? You will need longer than a year to complete 3 A Levels if you wish to apply for Medicine you will likely need high grades at GCSE maths and English also. You can study the GCSEs at the same time. Bare minimum will be the maths and English GCSE but many require 7 GCSE's. Look into if you qualify for home fees or if you'll have to pay international fees which are extortionate.
I know that some universities offer medicine foundation for students who do not meet the requirements for directly entry to year 1. Maybe you should check if those universities accept the qualifications from your home country and take your country’s university entrance exam ? You can also take IELTS academic because you’re probably an international student?(I am just guessing haha ) Almost all universities required international students to have IELTS results ! PS I am not 100% sure about the entry requirements for medicine foundation year ! Best of luck!

Original post by Okayest
Original post by Okayest

Btw I remember a school called oxford international college which offers accelerated A level programmes and it is an excellent school! Maybe you can also go check if this school offers what you want !

Quick Reply

Latest