The Student Room Group

job prospects for history

im applying for history and considering two pretty prestigious unis (not to flex but bc i’ve heard some jobs take unis into consideration)

whenever i tell family they just tell me i’m doing a worthless degree and how although it’s hard, all i can be is a teacher. i’ve heard of people doing history and going into teaching and law and although i don’t mind those jobs, they aren’t what i want to do.

was just wondering what jobs apart from those i could look into?

of course your job is just to make money to live but i don’t wanna do a job that won’t be fulfilling considering i’ll spend 2/3 of my day working and i’d like to work a job where i could make money (not a crazy amount but just to be able to live better than i do currently)
Original post by aizzicle
im applying for history and considering two pretty prestigious unis (not to flex but bc i’ve heard some jobs take unis into consideration)

whenever i tell family they just tell me i’m doing a worthless degree and how although it’s hard, all i can be is a teacher. i’ve heard of people doing history and going into teaching and law and although i don’t mind those jobs, they aren’t what i want to do.

was just wondering what jobs apart from those i could look into?

of course your job is just to make money to live but i don’t wanna do a job that won’t be fulfilling considering i’ll spend 2/3 of my day working and i’d like to work a job where i could make money (not a crazy amount but just to be able to live better than i do currently)

As history is not a type of degree required for any specific job (e.g. it's not medicine, law, engineering, etc.), you can apply for jobs that don't require you to have a degree in any specific subject.

The random careers that you would be eligible for with no further training post A Levels include:

Administration

Government services

Social work

Some areas of healthcare

Most areas of business (HR, marketing, accounting, sales)

IT roles

Some areas of construction

Most areas of property

Most areas of beauty and wellbeing

Creative/design and media (if you're good)

Theatre and film (if you're good)

Music (if you're good)

Anything related to writing (if you're good)

Storage

Logisitics

Armed forces and police force (if you pass certain tests, have a clean record, and are of a certain age range)

Some environmental services

Hospitality

Manufacturing

Management (if you have the relevant experience)

Retail

Care work

Travel and tourism

Charity

Entertainment (if you're good)

Translation (if you are fluent in more than one language)

If you decide to go back to college (adult college), then you can do courses that are relevant to the following:

Animal care (other than vet)

Some areas of construction and certain trades

Some areas of beauty and wellbeing

Some areas of engineering

You can go into the following areas with specific professional qualifications (irrespective of what previous qualifications you have):

Accounting

Actuary (if you have a math background e.g. A Level Maths)

Law (CILEx)

Most areas of finance

Delivery and transport (licences)

Sports coaching

Personally, I have seen history graduates who went into accounting at one of the Big 4 before working in startups for example. I also know someone who did history before going into the Civil Service, and another working for small businesses local to him.

I don't know what sort of work you would consider fulfilling, since this would depend on the individual. Some say working in charities, environmental agencies, and healthcare fulfilling. However, others would say working in development in third world countries, scientific research, and housing are fulfilling. Without knowing what your values are and what you aim to strive for, I am drawing a blank.

I would presume that you have A Level in History, which makes me wonder what other A Levels you have. If they are not required subjects and you intend to do a different degree in a subject that require specific subjects, then it can be a bit complicated.

If you can add more detail in regards to the above, then I would at least be able to point you in a more specific direction.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
As history is not a type of degree required for any specific job (e.g. it's not medicine, law, engineering, etc.), you can apply for jobs that don't require you to have a degree in any specific subject.

The random careers that you would be eligible for with no further training post A Levels include:

Administration

Government services

Social work

Some areas of healthcare

Most areas of business (HR, marketing, accounting, sales)

IT roles

Some areas of construction

Most areas of property

Most areas of beauty and wellbeing

Creative/design and media (if you're good)

Theatre and film (if you're good)

Music (if you're good)

Anything related to writing (if you're good)

Storage

Logisitics

Armed forces and police force (if you pass certain tests, have a clean record, and are of a certain age range)

Some environmental services

Hospitality

Manufacturing

Management (if you have the relevant experience)

Retail

Care work

Travel and tourism

Charity

Entertainment (if you're good)

Translation (if you are fluent in more than one language)

If you decide to go back to college (adult college), then you can do courses that are relevant to the following:

Animal care (other than vet)

Some areas of construction and certain trades

Some areas of beauty and wellbeing

Some areas of engineering

You can go into the following areas with specific professional qualifications (irrespective of what previous qualifications you have):

Accounting

Actuary (if you have a math background e.g. A Level Maths)

Law (CILEx)

Most areas of finance

Delivery and transport (licences)

Sports coaching

Personally, I have seen history graduates who went into accounting at one of the Big 4 before working in startups for example. I also know someone who did history before going into the Civil Service, and another working for small businesses local to him.

I don't know what sort of work you would consider fulfilling, since this would depend on the individual. Some say working in charities, environmental agencies, and healthcare fulfilling. However, others would say working in development in third world countries, scientific research, and housing are fulfilling. Without knowing what your values are and what you aim to strive for, I am drawing a blank.

I would presume that you have A Level in History, which makes me wonder what other A Levels you have. If they are not required subjects and you intend to do a different degree in a subject that require specific subjects, then it can be a bit complicated.

If you can add more detail in regards to the above, then I would at least be able to point you in a more specific direction.

I also do A-Level Spanish and English Literature (and enjoy them both thoroughly). In school I also really enjoyed chemistry and maths, although I wasn't great at maths post-covid (so year 9 onwards) and I wouldn't mind a job which focused more in a STEM-ish sector although with History I doubt it. Politics and sociology were also super interesting to me, but I really don't think I'd want to be a politician or something along those lines. I considered something medicine-y for a while like becoming a gynaecologist or a midwife, or something more women's health-ish in general but ultimately decided against this. I also considered anthropology and linguistics for a while, I'm super interested in etymology and people's daily lives and why they lived the way they did, I just chose history as it was the field I was most sure on.

I've been really interested in things like accounting, journalism, marketing, hr and pr, marketing in particular but I have a feeling marketing might become super over-exposed (if that makes sense) in the next few years because it looks to be fun, is fairly flexible and comes with a bunch of cool experiences from what I've heard. I currently have friends wanting to do marketing and struggling to find work and opportunities because it's so competitive. I wouldn't mind computing at all and learning to code.

I do quite like school and getting an education as a whole, like I've always enjoyed being in lessons and doing homework (as nerdy as that sounds), so I wouldn't mind going back to school to get more qualifications if the field needed it, my only concern with that is having the money to do it. I'd also consider myself a pretty passionate person, like I'll speak out if I don't think something is right. I'm super interested in media as a whole, within History propaganda is super interesting to me, although I've not studied it in much depth. My favourite thing to do in my free time is reading, usually a rom-com of some-sort but I also spend my time watching deep-dives into certain women in history like Rosalie Duthe, Jospehine Baker and Lucrezia Borgia and watching BlameItOnJorge. He's a youtuber which focuses on Lost Media, often T.V. and movies, will discuss the media and talks about the journey in which it was found.

I know this is super long but I really wanted to give you more of a look into who I was like you said (although this is overboard I know) and thank you so much for helping me with some of my misconceptions, like you said because it isn't job specific it really confused me on what I could and couldn't go into.
Original post by aizzicle
I also do A-Level Spanish and English Literature (and enjoy them both thoroughly). In school I also really enjoyed chemistry and maths, although I wasn't great at maths post-covid (so year 9 onwards) and I wouldn't mind a job which focused more in a STEM-ish sector although with History I doubt it. Politics and sociology were also super interesting to me, but I really don't think I'd want to be a politician or something along those lines. I considered something medicine-y for a while like becoming a gynaecologist or a midwife, or something more women's health-ish in general but ultimately decided against this. I also considered anthropology and linguistics for a while, I'm super interested in etymology and people's daily lives and why they lived the way they did, I just chose history as it was the field I was most sure on.

I've been really interested in things like accounting, journalism, marketing, hr and pr, marketing in particular but I have a feeling marketing might become super over-exposed (if that makes sense) in the next few years because it looks to be fun, is fairly flexible and comes with a bunch of cool experiences from what I've heard. I currently have friends wanting to do marketing and struggling to find work and opportunities because it's so competitive. I wouldn't mind computing at all and learning to code.

I do quite like school and getting an education as a whole, like I've always enjoyed being in lessons and doing homework (as nerdy as that sounds), so I wouldn't mind going back to school to get more qualifications if the field needed it, my only concern with that is having the money to do it. I'd also consider myself a pretty passionate person, like I'll speak out if I don't think something is right. I'm super interested in media as a whole, within History propaganda is super interesting to me, although I've not studied it in much depth. My favourite thing to do in my free time is reading, usually a rom-com of some-sort but I also spend my time watching deep-dives into certain women in history like Rosalie Duthe, Jospehine Baker and Lucrezia Borgia and watching BlameItOnJorge. He's a youtuber which focuses on Lost Media, often T.V. and movies, will discuss the media and talks about the journey in which it was found.

I know this is super long but I really wanted to give you more of a look into who I was like you said (although this is overboard I know) and thank you so much for helping me with some of my misconceptions, like you said because it isn't job specific it really confused me on what I could and couldn't go into.

In school I also really enjoyed chemistry and maths, although I wasn't great at maths post-covid (so year 9 onwards) and I wouldn't mind a job which focused more in a STEM-ish sector although with History I doubt it.
That's mostly correct. STEM generally require an appropriate degree for the line of work that you intend to go into. Most things in life sciences and healthcare are notorious about the specific degree that you have and is ramped up with regulatory bodies. It's usually not so flexible that you can change a line of work even within the sector without doing another degree on top e.g. you can't usually become a paramedic with a degree in midwifery for example.
Physics, maths, and engineering are far more flexible, but generally expect you to have a quantitative degree in it. Otherwise, expect to do apprenticeships to get into the role.
The only exception that I know of is in the tech sector, where you can get by with the right sort of experience which you can learn from the ground up or get professional certifications most suited for the role that you want. Having a quantitative degree in physics, maths, engineering, etc. tend to help since they contain a lot of programming in their degrees.

Politics and sociology were also super interesting to me, but I really don't think I'd want to be a politician or something along those lines.
Have you looked into social research (although it involves working in the public sector)? See: https://www.faststream.gov.uk/government-social-research-service/index.html

I considered something medicine-y for a while like becoming a gynaecologist or a midwife, or something more women's health-ish in general but ultimately decided against this.
Gynaecologist is medicine, so yeah you have a very slim chance of getting in without the right A Levels.
Nursing, etc. are professions that you can do a fully funded master's degree in with an undergrad in any subject. Should this be something you're interested in as a backup, do the research in it.

I also considered anthropology and linguistics for a while, I'm super interested in etymology and people's daily lives and why they lived the way they did
Similar case to the history degree; unless you want to go into academic research or teaching, you can apply for any job or go into any role that accept degrees in any subject or do not require degrees at all.

I've been really interested in things like accounting, journalism, marketing, hr and pr,
Yep, all you can do with either just A Levels or no qualifications.
You should get the right professional qualification for accounting after your degree/A Levels - required by the industry.
I recommend certain professional qualifications for marketing, should you be interested - some are more widely recognised than others.
There is only one body that offers professional qualifications for HR in the UK (and it would vary from country to country): CIPD
There is only one professional body for PR that comes to mind: CIPR. There are some degrees that are accredited by them.
You don't need a degree to go into journalism (should have been included in the list above), but should you want to get a degree in it get a degree accredited by the NCTJ.

marketing in particular but I have a feeling marketing might become super over-exposed (if that makes sense) in the next few years because it looks to be fun, is fairly flexible and comes with a bunch of cool experiences from what I've heard.
Yeah, it's super competitive. However, it's also one of those roles where you can justify the hire if it's something that brings in more money than it is spent on you, kind of like sales. So in a way, it's not as competitive as say accounting (I think), but you still have competition.

so I wouldn't mind going back to school to get more qualifications if the field needed it, my only concern with that is having the money to do it.
It depends on the qualification. If it's a degree, it depends on the degree, but these can be in the thousands (or tens of thousands depending on the subject). If you intend to do a postgrad, you should be wary of the ELQ policies for your first set of degrees e.g. first bachelor's, first master's, first PhD. See the following for example: https://www.gre.ac.uk/finance/fees/equivalent-or-lower-qualifications-elq.
Do note, the ELQ policy should also apply to professional qualifications e.g. if you have a bachelor's + a completed accounting qualification, you might have problems getting student finance for a master's.
If it's a professional qualification, most usually don't cost more than £1000, which is hardly breaking the bank. Even if it's a qualification that do costs more than £3000, you can usually spread it over 2-3 years as you study. The only qualifications that I would be wary of (that I can also think of from the top of my head) would be the PGDL (sort of a degree, but it's not funded) and the CQF qualification (not likely eligible since you require a background in maths) since they would require significant funding in the short space of time.

I'd also consider myself a pretty passionate person, like I'll speak out if I don't think something is right. I'm super interested in media as a whole, within History propaganda is super interesting to me, although I've not studied it in much depth.
Then you might want to check what sort of jobs that you want that could cater to this. There aren't many jobs that would accommodate people who voice "opinions" unfortunately, and I don't think it would do yourself justice if you went for a job where you're essentially become a cog in the wheel without a voice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending