The Student Room Group

past papers

hey guys, I use past papers and flashcards to revise, ive gone through all my flashcards like 3-4 times and ive done every single past paper since 2018 to 2021 but I still feel stupid idk what to do I still can't get decent grades
Reply 1
I don't think there is anything wrong with your revision strategy. Retrieval practice is the most efficient form of revision; it's good that you have opted for flashcards and practice papers rather than just reading notes. This will help you memorise knowledge and recall it under exam conditions.

The issue here seems to be making sense of all the assessment criteria. There are different 'assessment objectives' (AOs) for each course which depend on your exam board. As an example, many Pearson courses have two AOs: 1. Knowledge and 2. Evaluation. Look at the mark schemes for the papers to find out what your AOs are.

Flashcards will help you to develop knowledge, and using specific details in the exam can get you around 1/3 of the total marks. However you need to make sure you are including evaluation. This can be done by expressing more than one point of view, but you need to follow that up with your own opinion about which side of the argument is the most convincing (e.g. "This argument is weaker because... it doesn't help with issues such as...").

Practice papers are a really good strategy for trying out evaluation. If you love your subject you can think about it in your spare time and come to some realisations about which is your favourite argument and why. Then try to write it down in a practice question.

I hope this helps.
(edited 1 year ago)
Im not sure what my issue is, I understand the content but when I look at past papers I just can't do it it makes no sense and im not sure what to write down it baffles me
Original post by k59533
I don't think there is anything wrong with your revision strategy. Retrieval practice is the most efficient form of revision; it's good that you have opted for flashcards and practice papers rather than just reading notes. This will help you memorise knowledge and recall it under exam conditions.

The issue here seems to be making sense of all the assessment criteria. There are different 'assessment objectives' (AOs) for each course which depend on your exam board. As an example, many Pearson courses have two AOs: 1. Knowledge and 2. Evaluation. Look at the mark schemes for the papers to find out what your AOs are.

Flashcards will help you to develop knowledge, and using specific details in the exam can get you around 1/3 of the total marks. However you need to make sure you are including evaluation. This can be done by expressing more than one point of view, but you need to follow that up with your own opinion about which side of the argument is the most convincing (e.g. "This argument is weaker because... it doesn't help with issues such as...").

Practice papers are a really good strategy for trying out evaluation. If you love your subject you can think about it in your spare time and come to some realisations about which is your favourite argument and why. Then try to write it down in a practice question.

I hope this helps.
1) talk to your teachers and ask them where they think you can improve
2) personally, I like to verbalise and teach others what I (think I) know - it really helps highlight what I'm less confident on
3) revise regularly. I'm bad at this, but it's one of the things that really helps - 1hr a day, 5 dyas a week, with no distractions, is a good way to think of it. phone away, no notes when you do the papers, etc.
You can do this! Your teachers and school councillors and heads of years/subjects etc will always be there to help you, so don't hesitate to ask them - it's literally their job

Edit: fixed spelling mistake
(edited 1 year ago)
my teacher refuses to mark past papers, idk why he just doesn't. and I revise like 3-4 hours a day, going over the topic 2-3 times and doing Past papers but the issue is the past papers, when I look at the question idk what to write down or how to answer it and when I do attempt it for example a 6 marker I only get like 3-4 marks
Original post by SophieStudys
1) talk to your teachers and ask them where they think you can improve
2) personally, I like to verbalise and teach others what I (think I) know - it really helps highlight what I'm less confident on
3) revise regularly. I'm bad at this, but it's one of the things that really helps - 1hr a day, 5 dyas a week, with no distractions, is a good way to think of it. phone away, no notes when you do the papers, etc.
You can do this! Your teachers and school councillors and heads of years/subjects etc will always be there to help you, so don't hesitate to ask them - it's literally their job

Edit: fixed spelling mistake
Original post by sim.sim1234567
my teacher refuses to mark past papers [...] when I look at the question idk what to write down or how to answer it and when I do attempt it for example a 6 marker I only get like 3-4 marks

I would be so annoyed and frustrated if I had a teacher like yours, what a nightmare! My advice would be to ask a different teacher of the same/similar subject, or maybe head of the subject, to mark a paper and explain your situation: one of them should say yes.

Otherwise, there's always the past paper mark schemes which you can match up with the papers you do - try marking your own stuff and seeing where you would loose marks from the perspective of an examiner. There are also 'perfect' answer examples to questions from your subject(s) which can be found on the internet, maybe you can compare those to your own and see where it differs? It's likely about structure or understanding the question, because it seems that you have the knowledge, you just need to be taught the best way to apply it.

May I ask which subject(s) your struggling with? There might be someone here who can help directly.
geography sociology and politics and physics

Original post by SophieStudys
I would be so annoyed and frustrated if I had a teacher like yours, what a nightmare! My advice would be to ask a different teacher of the same/similar subject, or maybe head of the subject, to mark a paper and explain your situation: one of them should say yes.

Otherwise, there's always the past paper mark schemes which you can match up with the papers you do - try marking your own stuff and seeing where you would loose marks from the perspective of an examiner. There are also 'perfect' answer examples to questions from your subject(s) which can be found on the internet, maybe you can compare those to your own and see where it differs? It's likely about structure or understanding the question, because it seems that you have the knowledge, you just need to be taught the best way to apply it.

May I ask which subject(s) your struggling with? There might be someone here who can help directly.
Original post by sim.sim1234567
hey guys, I use past papers and flashcards to revise, ive gone through all my flashcards like 3-4 times and ive done every single past paper since 2018 to 2021 but I still feel stupid idk what to do I still can't get decent grades

It's not uncommon to feel like you're not making progress, even when you're putting in a lot of effort. However, it's important to remember that learning and studying is a process, and it can take time to see results. Here are a few things you might consider:

Make sure you're studying the right material: Make sure that you understand what is being covered in your course, and focus on the topics that you're having the most trouble with.

Try different study methods: Different people have different learning styles, so it's worth experimenting with different methods of studying to see what works best for you. Some people learn better by reading, while others learn better by doing.

Check your understanding: Test yourself on the material you're studying, this can be a great way to identify any gaps in your knowledge, and areas where you need to focus more attention.

Take a break: Sometimes, a break can be helpful. Give yourself time to relax and clear your mind so that you're refreshed and ready to study again.

Get a tutor or seek additional help: If you are still struggling after trying the above options, it might be helpful to seek additional help from a tutor or a teacher. They may be able to provide you with more detailed feedback and guidance on how to improve.

Finally, remember that grades are not the only measure of success, and that everyone learns and progresses at their own pace. It's important to not get discourage and instead take constructive actions to improve

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending