The Student Room Group

Maths gcse

I wondered how many past papers a person should do to get an 8/9 ( just a rough number)
Original post by Fffffff22222
I wondered how many past papers a person should do to get an 8/9 ( just a rough number)

Lets consider two different students.

Student A finds maths easy and always does well in tests. They do a past paper and get over 90%. Worried that it might be a fluke, they do another past paper, and get over 90% again. They figure they've got maths covered, and move onto other subjects. They've done two past papers in total.

Student B finds maths hard and always does badly in tests. They do a past paper and get below 30%. The don't bother to focus on the topics they found particularly difficult, or to do any further revision. They simply do another past paper. This time they manage to actually reach 30%. They do another past paper and get 29%. Confused, they do another a manage to get 32%. They keep doing past papers and manage to regularly get around 35% by the time they've done 10 or 15 or them.

Which student is more likely to get a grade 8 or 9? The one who's done just two past papers, or the one who's done 10 or 15?

(In other words, there is not necessarily a relationship between between how many past papers a person has done, and the grade they ultimately achieve.)
Original post by DataVenia
Lets consider two different students.
Student A finds maths easy and always does well in tests. They do a past paper and get over 90%. Worried that it might be a fluke, they do another past paper, and get over 90% again. They figure they've got maths covered, and move onto other subjects. They've done two past papers in total.
Student B finds maths hard and always does badly in tests. They do a past paper and get below 30%. The don't bother to focus on the topics they found particularly difficult, or to do any further revision. They simply do another past paper. This time they manage to actually reach 30%. They do another past paper and get 29%. Confused, they do another a manage to get 32%. They keep doing past papers and manage to regularly get around 35% by the time they've done 10 or 15 or them.
Which student is more likely to get a grade 8 or 9? The one who's done just two past papers, or the one who's done 10 or 15?
(In other words, there is not necessarily a relationship between between how many past papers a person has done, and the grade they ultimately achieve.)

Got it😭 thank you!!
Got it😭 thank you!!

You're welcome. :smile:
Original post by DataVenia
You're welcome. :smile:

Do you have any tips for triple science and maths that you could give me!!
Reply 5
Do you have any tips for triple science and maths that you could give me!!

For maths i got a 9 by doing past papers and exam questions. Maths is all about practice. But once i did one i would look through my mistakes and revise those topics. Dont bother revising topics you know really well, focus on the hard topics. In the end i did all the new spec past papers from like 2015 and then re-did them to test the new knowledge i learnt and make sure i learnt from my mistakes. But thats because i had alot of time cos i did my maths GCSE in year 9 and i didnt have other subjects to focus on, so idk what your schedules like. But just make sure to practice ALOT! Also, what exam board are you doing???
Original post by User_09
For maths i got a 9 by doing past papers and exam questions. Maths is all about practice. But once i did one i would look through my mistakes and revise those topics. Dont bother revising topics you know really well, focus on the hard topics. In the end i did all the new spec past papers from like 2015 and then re-did them to test the new knowledge i learnt and make sure i learnt from my mistakes. But thats because i had alot of time cos i did my maths GCSE in year 9 and i didnt have other subjects to focus on, so idk what your schedules like. But just make sure to practice ALOT! Also, what exam board are you doing???

Im doing igcse edexcel which only has 2 papers for the exams

Quick Reply

Latest