The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York accommodation 2023/2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FrenchSquid
Oh definitely not 100% true. Alcuin was wild in 2019. It's so noisy on nights out

Good to know the stereotypes are meaningless.
(edited 1 year ago)
University of York
York
Original post by Nicolachap
Hi,
you mention avoiding Derwent and quality issues. Do you mean avoid it because it’s just a bit run down or because it’s likely to be partly under refurbishment next year? (So therefore could be noisy with building work etc, less availability etc) I’m also wondering re applying to Derwent- can you be randomly allocated Eden’s Court, or would you have to specify that on your application?? My daughter really wants Derwent, primarily because it’s social, central and cheaper, but is it risky to apply, if she could get put in Eden’s Court, which she really doesn’t want because of its reputation for being less social and obviously less central.
It all feels like a bit of a minefield! They’ve also put all the prices up for 2023 entry, by quite a bit! 😩

There is currently only one block due for refurbishment and the other blocks are still okay - it is yearly keep up of blocks and will be planned to end buy the end of the year . You can’t request to be in a specific block or area , however Derwent is known as the social college due to its central activities and its amazing events , which all Derwenters of any year can attend. We often get 2nd and 3rd years coming back to campus from all around the city. The buzz of Derwent isn’t in the specific blocks - that depends on the people living in there- Derwent just holds the best events and opportunities to meet others.

I personally wasn’t in the main blocks of Derwent but through societies and just walking around you meet people and end up being “adopted” by flats , the college system makes it incredibly easy to make friends. Derwent also hold weekly events where you can meet loads of Derwenters.
Original post by Anonymous
There is currently only one block due for refurbishment and the other blocks are still okay - it is yearly keep up of blocks and will be planned to end buy the end of the year . You can’t request to be in a specific block or area , however Derwent is known as the social college due to its central activities and its amazing events , which all Derwenters of any year can attend. We often get 2nd and 3rd years coming back to campus from all around the city. The buzz of Derwent isn’t in the specific blocks - that depends on the people living in there- Derwent just holds the best events and opportunities to meet others.

I personally wasn’t in the main blocks of Derwent but through societies and just walking around you meet people and end up being “adopted” by flats , the college system makes it incredibly easy to make friends. Derwent also hold weekly events where you can meet loads of Derwenters.

That’s all well and good but most of the Derwent accommodation looks pretty grim
Original post by Kilburn303
That’s all well and good but most of the Derwent accommodation looks pretty grim

I agree with you there actually. To be honest the accommodation ( well where we managed to view ) were all extremely disappointing when compared to other universities, Especially considering the cost! It is definitely a deciding factor when you think about where you want to spend the next 12 months of your life.
I agree with you there actually. To be honest the accommodation ( well where we managed to view ) were all extremely disappointing when compared to other universities, Especially considering the cost! It is definitely a deciding factor when you think about where you want to spend the next 12 months of your life.

Well I’ve chosen David Kato band 2 as my first choice and that looks quite good as well as being one of the cheapest options. A lot of people seem to be fixated on choosing the older colleges on West which don’t have great accommodation on offer and are quite pricey due to most being catered.
(edited 1 year ago)
For some reason it won't let me apply for accommodation for 2023 as an undergrad even though I've accepted York as my firm and it's been over 48 hours. Is anyone else having trouble?
Original post by mnshdw88
For some reason it won't let me apply for accommodation for 2023 as an undergrad even though I've accepted York as my firm and it's been over 48 hours. Is anyone else having trouble?

I’d contact the accommodation staff at York if it doesn’t resolve itself. You should be able to find a contact email address on the accommodation pages.
Original post by mnshdw88

Hi there,

It's great to hear that you've put York as your firm!

If you're still having trouble applying for accommodation, I'd recommend contacting the accommodation team either via their email or phone number:
Email: [email protected]
Phone number: +441904322165

I hope this helps - Hannah :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by Proxx
If anyone joining York for this academic year has any questions about accommodation. Feel free to ask.

Hiya, I have just submitted my application for accommodation because of having to wait for other unis to respond! I was wondering how likely it is to receive one of your top 7 offers, and which colleges/campuses are usually most popular/least popular in terms of applying. Thank you! :smile:
Are friends/partners able to stay over for a night in the accommodation?
You have to apply to Eden's Court separately - it'll show up when applying as an option! It's also self-catered, where as the rest of Derwent is catered. So there is no risk of getting Eden's Court by putting Derwent. However of course there is the risk you won't get any of your choices and then could be allocated Eden's court (or any other college/room in fact). Hope this makes sense :smile:

Are friends/partners able to stay over for a night in the accommodation?

Hi there,

Yes, you can have friends and partners to stay for the night in on campus accommodation. The official rules are:

You can have one occasional adult guest stay in your room for a maximum of two consecutive nights, providing this does not disrupt other residents and it is not a regular arrangement. You should inform your flatmates beforehand. Remember, you're responsible for your guests' actions.

I hope this helps - Hannah :smile:
How can I change my accommodation choices? I submitted it a bit ago but just want to recheck what I put now I have more time and see if there are any changes I might make to the order etc.
Hiya, if you log in again to your account (find it on the accommodation page on the uni website here https://www.york.ac.uk/study/accommodation/undergraduate/how-to-apply/ and you can edit from there 😊
Original post by Arconik
How can I change my accommodation choices? I submitted it a bit ago but just want to recheck what I put now I have more time and see if there are any changes I might make to the order etc.
Original post by Arconik

It’s as simple as just going back to your application to review it and then selecting the option to edit at the bottom of the page.
(edited 1 year ago)
when is the deadline for booking accom?
when is the deadline for booking accom?

Well the deadline for the room guarantee is the 8th of June for home students and you have to make York your firm choice in order to be eligible. As far as I’m aware, the application process will remain open after this point but they obviously can’t guarantee you a room on campus.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hiya, if you log in again to your account (find it on the accommodation page on the uni website here https://www.york.ac.uk/study/accommodation/undergraduate/how-to-apply/ and you can edit from there 😊

I cant find the button to edit it?
On the page I am able to press Review My Application but it just takes me back to the same page. I'm guessing this isn't supposed to happen? I'll message York and see if they can help me :smile:
Original post by Arconik
I cant find the button to edit it?
On the page I am able to press Review My Application but it just takes me back to the same page. I'm guessing this isn't supposed to happen? I'll message York and see if they can help me :smile:

For me the edit button is at the button after pressing review my application! If its not there I’d ask York for help though :smile:
For me the edit button is at the button after pressing review my application! If its not there I’d ask York for help though :smile:

Managed to do it on my home computer. My laptop must of been acting up :s-smilie:

Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest