The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York accommodation 2023/2024

If anyone joining York for this academic year has any questions about accommodation. Feel free to ask.

Scroll to see replies

Would you recommend any colleges in particular?
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by Kilburn303

Its challenging without knowing more about what you are looking for but in general I would look at these colleges.

East:

Cheapest

(1 David Kato
(2 Goodricke
(3 Anne Lister

Most expensive

West:

Cheapest

(1 Vanbrugh
(2 Alcuin
(3 James

Most Expensive

I would avoid Derwent as some of the buildings are due to be changed because of quality issues.

I would only go to Halifax if I had to because of the location and the amount of people you share with.

From my experience looking at Constantine the rooms are no bigger then anything that's cheaper on east but you share a tv in the common room. Also Ive had friends that have experienced negative reactions when saying their from that college (dumb but has happened).

Not to sure about Langwith but you can get accommodation that was built more recently for around the same price.

Band 2 Vanbrugh and Band 2 David Kato are probably best for value and most competitive to get so you will have to apply as early as possible.

If money isnt an issue for a subject on west then Vanbrugh do have more expensive stuff that were built more recently e.g. Band 3

If money isnt a problem for a subject on east Anne Lister would probably be best in terms of location for balancing having to travel to any lectures on east, bus stops and shops.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Proxx
Its challenging without knowing more about what you are looking for but in general I would look at these colleges.

East:

Cheapest

(1 David Kato
(2 Goodricke
(3 Anne Lister

Most expensive

West:

Cheapest

(1 Vanbrugh
(2 Alcuin
(3 James

Most Expensive

I would avoid Derwent as some of the buildings are due to be changed because of quality issues.

I would only go to Halifax if I had to because of the location and the amount of people you share with.

From my experience looking at Constantine the rooms are no bigger then anything that's cheaper on east but you share a tv in the common room. Also Ive had friends that have experienced negative reactions when saying their from that college (dumb but has happened).

Not to sure about Langwith but you can get accommodation that was built more recently for around the same price.

Band 2 Vanbrugh and Band 2 David Kato are probably best for value and most competitive to get so you will have to apply as early as possible.

If money isnt an issue for a subject on west then Vanbrugh do have more expensive stuff that were built more recently e.g. Band 3

If money isnt a problem for a subject on east Anne Lister would probably be best in terms of location for balancing having to travel to any lectures on east, bus stops and shops.

That’s a great help. I’ve been trying to narrow down my choices in the last few days and am primarily looking at Vanbrugh & David Kato band 2 so it’s good to know that you get value for money. I’m Primarily looking for a good location as well as value for money as I’m not too bothered about the options when it comes to bathrooms and catering.
Price is quite important for my decision as it would need to be covered almost entirely by my student loan. I obviously don’t know how much my maintenance loan will be right now but using the estimated loan calculator for the previous academic year, I’d get just over £6,000.
I’ll be studying economics so would it be better to live on West or East as I know my department is based on West? I’ve heard differing opinions on this so far with some saying that it’s great to be close to your department whilst others say that commuting isn’t much of an issue and that it can be nice to experience both sides of the campus rather than be based completely on one.
Hey, I'm looking at colleges at the moment (self-catered and en-suite ideally), I'm not one for nights out or partying, but like having nice people around, and don't mind whether it's East or West Campus. Are there any specifically that are that sort of vibe?? Really struggling to decide between them!!
Reply 5
I'm a Business Management student and currently all my modules are based on west campus. This is because of the new recently built church lane building which is based on west campus, a 2 minute walk east of the library. Based off the campus map which I will link for you and the university page saying band 2 Vanbrugh is "Le Page Courts" for Vanbrugh you should be in the heart of campus west. Just remember that Vanbrugh is one of the most competitive accommodations to get so applying early is a must. It may also be best to enquire with the university about where most of your lessons will be based.

I currently live on campus east and in terms of commuting I normally have to plan my commuting around the bus which can cancel at times or only come every 30 minutes which can cause me to have to turn up to lessons earlier then I want. Depending on the module location if a lectures on in church lane it will take me about 10 minutes to walk their however I've had lectures on the far west side of west campus by the Psychology building near James college which can take me an extra 15 minutes to walk their. So there's many pro's and con's to living on east campus the main benefit is that everything is newer. One thing to think about though is that from my experience there isn't many people studying my course at my college. However if you were closer to your course you may have flat mates who study the same subject.

Campus map: https://www.york.ac.uk/map/#locid177

Vanbrugh accommodation page: https://www.york.ac.uk/study/accommodation/rooms-prices/vanbrugh/
That’s a great help. I’ve been trying to narrow down my choices in the last few days and am primarily looking at Vanbrugh & David Kato band 2 so it’s good to know that you get value for money. I’m Primarily looking for a good location as well as value for money as I’m not too bothered about the options when it comes to bathrooms and catering.
Price is quite important for my decision as it would need to be covered almost entirely by my student loan. I obviously don’t know how much my maintenance loan will be right now but using the estimated loan calculator for the previous academic year, I’d get just over £6,000.
I’ll be studying economics so would it be better to live on West or East as I know my department is based on West? I’ve heard differing opinions on this so far with some saying that it’s great to be close to your department whilst others say that commuting isn’t much of an issue and that it can be nice to experience both sides of the campus rather than be based completely on one.
Reply 6
Original post by That_aint_me
Hey, I'm looking at colleges at the moment (self-catered and en-suite ideally), I'm not one for nights out or partying, but like having nice people around, and don't mind whether it's East or West Campus. Are there any specifically that are that sort of vibe?? Really struggling to decide between them!!

I would say for west campus Alcuin would fit the description the best with it being located in a calmer area of west campus up north closer to the library so that may not be a top choice for more out going people.

For campus east Goodricke has a stereotype for being "invisible" so I would imagine not many loud or out going people would make Goodricke their top choice.
However I do feel I have to say that it is often very random who you do end up with but you can judge from location and perception/reputation what type of person is most likely to apply to a certain college. I hope this is helpful for you.
(edited 1 year ago)
What are the stereotypes of the other colleges on campus east? I'd like a college there, I'd be doing politics, is Constantine as far out as it seems? And are other colleges quiet like Alcuin? I visited it at the open day but found it too quiet! Thank you!
Original post by Proxx
I'm a Business Management student and currently all my modules are based on west campus. This is because of the new recently built church lane building which is based on west campus, a 2 minute walk east of the library. Based off the campus map which I will link for you and the university page saying band 2 Vanbrugh is "Le Page Courts" for Vanbrugh you should be in the heart of campus west. Just remember that Vanbrugh is one of the most competitive accommodations to get so applying early is a must. It may also be best to enquire with the university about where most of your lessons will be based.

I currently live on campus east and in terms of commuting I normally have to plan my commuting around the bus which can cancel at times or only come every 30 minutes which can cause me to have to turn up to lessons earlier then I want. Depending on the module location if a lectures on in church lane it will take me about 10 minutes to walk their however I've had lectures on the far west side of west campus by the Psychology building near James college which can take me an extra 15 minutes to walk their. So there's many pro's and con's to living on east campus the main benefit is that everything is newer. One thing to think about though is that from my experience there isn't many people studying my course at my college. However if you were closer to your course you may have flat mates who study the same subject.

Campus map: https://www.york.ac.uk/map/#locid177

Vanbrugh accommodation page: https://www.york.ac.uk/study/accommodation/rooms-prices/vanbrugh/

Just a quick question about Anne lister accommodation. When you go onto the college’s accommodation page it says that there are band 2 rooms on offer yet there are non listed in the section for room prices. Is this just a mistake or will there actually be band 2 rooms available for Anne Lister once the application process opens? Thank you in advance.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Proxx
If anyone joining York for this academic year has any questions about accommodation. Feel free to ask.

Hi, I’m torn between James and Vanbrugh band 3 en-suite. Ik they’re the same price and both catered but is there much stereotypes . I’ve heard James is quite partyish and have heard some negative things but also heard it’s great for sport. Vanbrugh I’ve heard like nothing about and doesn’t seem to have much it’s known for. Any help on them would be amazing!
Thanks

Hi there,

It's great to hear that you're looking at studying at York!

I graduated from the University of York last year, and I can confidently say that the college stereotypes aren't really true! Generally, the college stereotypes are based on where the college is located, for example, Alcuin is dubbed the quiet college as it's near the library, Vanbrugh is dubbed the musical college as it's near the Music Department, James is dubbed the sporty college as it's near the sports centre on Campus West.

I wouldn't worry about these stereotypes when making your accommodation choices. The main things I'd consider personally are:
- Whether you want to be catered or self-catered
- Whether you want to be en-suite or shared bathroom
- Where your academic department is, and how close-by you want to be
- Your budget

The other thing to remember about colleges is that they all offer the same things: a college support team, college sport, college events, and a place to live in your first year.

I hope this helps,

Hannah :smile:
Original post by Proxx

East:

Cheapest

(1 David Kato
(2 Goodricke
(3 Anne Lister

Most expensive

West:

Cheapest

(1 Vanbrugh
(2 Alcuin
(3 James

Most Expensive

Hi,
you mention avoiding Derwent and quality issues. Do you mean avoid it because it’s just a bit run down or because it’s likely to be partly under refurbishment next year? (So therefore could be noisy with building work etc, less availability etc) I’m also wondering re applying to Derwent- can you be randomly allocated Eden’s Court, or would you have to specify that on your application?? My daughter really wants Derwent, primarily because it’s social, central and cheaper, but is it risky to apply, if she could get put in Eden’s Court, which she really doesn’t want because of its reputation for being less social and obviously less central.
It all feels like a bit of a minefield! They’ve also put all the prices up for 2023 entry, by quite a bit! 😩
Why is Vanbrugh En-suite accommodation so expensive!!
Original post by Elsie12345
Why is Vanbrugh En-suite accommodation so expensive!!

There are plenty of decent options that are much cheaper
Currently I can't apply for accommodation because Leeds still haven't sent any response, so I can't Firm York. I know 100% York will be my firm with an AB offer, but there is a chance Leeds will send me a lower offer to put as my insurance (currently I would put Swansea with a very low entry).

But I have no idea how long Leeds are going to further take. Is it worth withdrawing my application from Leeds so I can firm York and apply for accommodation soon. Or should I wait for Leeds to reply in case they send me a lower offer (although I am fairly confident I won't need the insurance anyway and should get the AB in Maths and Further Maths respectively).

Basically how urgent is it to apply for the Accommodation to try and get my top 3?
Original post by Arconik
Currently I can't apply for accommodation because Leeds still haven't sent any response, so I can't Firm York. I know 100% York will be my firm with an AB offer, but there is a chance Leeds will send me a lower offer to put as my insurance (currently I would put Swansea with a very low entry).

But I have no idea how long Leeds are going to further take. Is it worth withdrawing my application from Leeds so I can firm York and apply for accommodation soon. Or should I wait for Leeds to reply in case they send me a lower offer (although I am fairly confident I won't need the insurance anyway and should get the AB in Maths and Further Maths respectively).

Basically how urgent is it to apply for the Accommodation to try and get my top 3?

Hi @Arconik,
Hope you're well.

It's quite hard to say how much applying later would impact getting one of your preferred room choices, it really depends on how many other students have the same choices as you and how many rooms there are in that college. However, from personal experience, I came to York through Clearing and therefore got one of my lower choice options (as I was very last minute). It all worked out in the end though as I fell in love with my college (Halifax) and even stayed there in my third year.

Provided you are a new first year undergraduate for 2023/4 and you apply for accommodation and accept York as your firm choice by the deadline you are guaranteed an offer a room in single-occupancy accommodation owned, managed or approved by the University. If you're a UK offer holder you'll need to accept York as your firm choice and apply for accommodation by 8 June 2023. If you're an International offer holder you'll need to accept York as your firm choice and apply for accommodation by 31 July 2023.

Thanks
Hi, is it normal for people to study on a different campus to where their accommodation is? (If i study on East but live on West, visa versa)
Original post by pleasehelpme:)
Hi, is it normal for people to study on a different campus to where their accommodation is? (If i study on East but live on West, visa versa)

Hi, I think it’s very common. Some people like the distance between the two or just like certain things on certain campuses. Ik there’s a bus which goes between the 2 and not a long walk so would be easy to do the journey
Original post by Proxx
I would say for west campus Alcuin would fit the description the best with it being located in a calmer area of west campus up north closer to the library so that may not be a top choice for more out going people.

For campus east Goodricke has a stereotype for being "invisible" so I would imagine not many loud or out going people would make Goodricke their top choice.
However I do feel I have to say that it is often very random who you do end up with but you can judge from location and perception/reputation what type of person is most likely to apply to a certain college. I hope this is helpful for you.

Oh definitely not 100% true. Alcuin was wild in 2019. It's so noisy on nights out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending