The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York accommodation 2023/2024

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
I’ve been given Derwent, Band 2, catered, ensuite. It wasn’t any of my choices (I wanted shared bath & self-catered). But it’s fine. It’s not on the website so there’s no photos or descriptions. Can anyone say what they are like please? Thank you
University of York
York
Reply 41
Looks like I'm going to have to go into the private sector since I didn't get an accommodation offer, anyone have any recommendations for private accommodation?
Reply 42
Original post by Proxx
I'm a Business Management student and currently all my modules are based on west campus. This is because of the new recently built church lane building which is based on west campus, a 2 minute walk east of the library. Based off the campus map which I will link for you and the university page saying band 2 Vanbrugh is "Le Page Courts" for Vanbrugh you should be in the heart of campus west. Just remember that Vanbrugh is one of the most competitive accommodations to get so applying early is a must. It may also be best to enquire with the university about where most of your lessons will be based.

I currently live on campus east and in terms of commuting I normally have to plan my commuting around the bus which can cancel at times or only come every 30 minutes which can cause me to have to turn up to lessons earlier then I want. Depending on the module location if a lectures on in church lane it will take me about 10 minutes to walk their however I've had lectures on the far west side of west campus by the Psychology building near James college which can take me an extra 15 minutes to walk their. So there's many pro's and con's to living on east campus the main benefit is that everything is newer. One thing to think about though is that from my experience there isn't many people studying my course at my college. However if you were closer to your course you may have flat mates who study the same subject.

Campus map: https://www.york.ac.uk/map/#locid177

Vanbrugh accommodation page: https://www.york.ac.uk/study/accommodation/rooms-prices/vanbrugh/

I don’t want to derail the chat regarding accommodation but can I quickly ask how you are finding the Business Management degree please? Is finding a placement in Yr 3 incredibly difficult? Thank you!
Original post by ruh__
Looks like I'm going to have to go into the private sector since I didn't get an accommodation offer, anyone have any recommendations for private accommodation?

I'm in the same boat, any recommendations would be really appreciated
Reply 44
Original post by ruh__

Hi, you could look into private halls such as Student Roost and Abode, but these can be quite expensive and sell out quickly. Your best bet is joining second and third year Facebook groups and seeing if anyone needs a replacement tenant. You can still attend freshers events on campus, and while it might seem scary they may be able to guide you around and give you some good advice about uni life. I know some people last year who didn't get accommodation and all found each other through group chats and were able to all get a house together quite late on, so if you do find some others look at York student accom websites such as IG properties, Quantum, Adam Bennett and see if they still have houses available. :smile:
Original post by phh03
Hi, you could look into private halls such as Student Roost and Abode, but these can be quite expensive and sell out quickly. Your best bet is joining second and third year Facebook groups and seeing if anyone needs a replacement tenant. You can still attend freshers events on campus, and while it might seem scary they may be able to guide you around and give you some good advice about uni life. I know some people last year who didn't get accommodation and all found each other through group chats and were able to all get a house together quite late on, so if you do find some others look at York student accom websites such as IG properties, Quantum, Adam Bennett and see if they still have houses available. :smile:

Thank you very much - this is really helpful!
Anyone know anything about Derwent M Block? My daughter's been allocated it and I just wondered if it's small/big compared to others, does it have a sink? Any info at all would be appreciated. Thank you.
Hi @Nicolachap,
Derwent M Block rooms are band 2 shared bathroom catered rooms. A few of them are large band 2 shared bathroom catered rooms and two rooms are without a sink. She should know from her accommodation offer email which room she's been allocated.

The students who have been allocated the rooms without a sink have been told in their offer email that there is no sink and their room price has been adjusted slightly. All other rooms have a sink. Hopefully that helps.

You can compare the colleges, rooms, and prices on this webpage.

You may also like to use the 360 feature to view a room that will be similar to your daughter's band 2 shared bathroom room on this webpage. There's also some more information on there such as how many students she'll be sharing with.

Thanks and let us know if you need anything else.
Original post by University of York
Hi @Nicolachap,
Derwent M Block rooms are band 2 shared bathroom catered rooms. A few of them are large band 2 shared bathroom catered rooms and two rooms are without a sink. She should know from her accommodation offer email which room she's been allocated.

The students who have been allocated the rooms without a sink have been told in their offer email that there is no sink and their room price has been adjusted slightly. All other rooms have a sink. Hopefully that helps.

You can compare the colleges, rooms, and prices on this webpage.

You may also like to use the 360 feature to view a room that will be similar to your daughter's band 2 shared bathroom room on this webpage. There's also some more information on there such as how many students she'll be sharing with.

Thanks and let us know if you need anything else.

Thank you so much for your info. Do you happen to know if m block rooms have a two pin plug near the sink, for electric toothbrushes/shavers etc?
Many thanks
any info about J block rooms in Derwent would be great if possible please
Also how many share a kitchen?
& type of hob (hopefully not induction)?
In a band 2 so I’m guessing small & basic?
And do most have toothbrush charger socket?
Thank you so very much!
Hello,
Hoping to find someone to room swap with!
I have an ensuite, band 4 room in Langwith college (self-catering) for £8,548. (Comes with a TV and TV licence)
I'm looking to swap with someone on either the West or East campus with self-catered accomodation. (Either shared bathroom or ensuite).
If interested, please message me <3
Original post by Proxx
If anyone joining York for this academic year has any questions about accommodation. Feel free to ask.

Room 8 in Barbara Scott Court block D (Vanburgh College), is it next to the kitchen?
Original post by Nicolachap
Thank you so much for your info. Do you happen to know if m block rooms have a two pin plug near the sink, for electric toothbrushes/shavers etc?
Many thanks

Hi @Nicolachap,
The college team and they've said it depends on the block unfortunately. It might be best to wait until you get to the accommodation to know if you need to purchase one.
Apologies I couldn't be more help.
Let us know if you need anything else.
Original post by ruh__

Hi ruh, are you a 2nd year or onwards student? If so i have a band 3 derwent accom that id like to replace, i dont need to swap rooms. Lemme know if you wanna discuss anything.
If anyone who’s 2nd year or higher needs a band 3 shared bathroom accommodation in derwent college for
£6,853.00 then i can transfer the tenancy agreement as im not looking to swap rooms so if anyone hasn’t found any accommodation or has been rejected for uni accommodation let me know!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 55
Original post by Proxx
If anyone joining York for this academic year has any questions about accommodation. Feel free to ask.

I know this post is for last year. I'm hoping I will still get a reply. I'm looking at applying for David Kato or Anne Lister for September and I am just wondering what is around in terms of food shopping, I have tried to look on google maps and they all look quite far away, is there any busses etc?
Reply 56
Original post by meganr27
I know this post is for last year. I'm hoping I will still get a reply. I'm looking at applying for David Kato or Anne Lister for September and I am just wondering what is around in terms of food shopping, I have tried to look on google maps and they all look quite far away, is there any busses etc?

I think a lot of people on East tend to just get their shopping delivered since it’s so much easier. You can also get on the 67 bus to Lawrence Street and go to Foss Island which has an Iceland, Waitrose, Lidl and Morrisons 🙂
Reply 57
Original post by phh03
I think a lot of people on East tend to just get their shopping delivered since it’s so much easier. You can also get on the 67 bus to Lawrence Street and go to Foss Island which has an Iceland, Waitrose, Lidl and Morrisons 🙂

thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest