The Student Room Group

Moving from SFE to SFW funding - mature student

Hi, apologies if this has been covered before, but I've searched online and can't find a clear answer including on the SFE or SFW websites. I'm studying for a degree in Wales (graduate entry medicine if it makes a difference - so I'm entitled to student finance even though it's a second degree). I moved here from England right at the beginning of my course so am currently having my first year financed through SFE. However, I'm well over 25 (so classified as "independent" by student finance), am renting (not in student accommodation) and considering buying a house here, have a part time job in Wales, and consider this my permanent residence at the very least for the duration of my four year degree if not longer. Apart from anything, I don't have anywhere else that it would be reasonable to call my residence. Although my parents live in England, I haven't lived with them for over a decade, I'm financially independent from them, and I go back to England for at most a few days a few times a year to visit friends and family: it's not a case of me only being in Wales during university terms and then going back to live with my parents during the holidays.

Am I correct in thinking this makes me eligible to switch over to Student Finance Wales for the remainder of my degree? Again, I can't find a clear answer anywhere that applies to my situation, so would be really helpful to know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending