The Student Room Group

Durham vs Lancaster

I’m firming another university but I’m choosing between these two for insurance. I’m studying business management.
Lancaster has a major/minor system which I’m interested in while Durham as a university is way more prestigious (but I know Lancaster’s business management is also ranked quite high).
I think Lancaster would be more lenient on results day if I miss the offer but I don’t think I would mess up that bad tbh.
Other than the major/minor thing I think their courses are quite similar.
I’m an international student so have never visited the cities.
Which one should I put as my insurance?
Durham have historically treated insurance applicants appallingly. And is in no way better than Lancaster for business management
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Durham have historically treated insurance applicants appallingly. And is in no way better than Lancaster for business management

could you tell me more about that? i heard that durham has a housing crisis and wouldn’t be able to provide insurance applicants accommodation, what about lancaster?
Original post by anan0405
could you tell me more about that? i heard that durham has a housing crisis and wouldn’t be able to provide insurance applicants accommodation, what about lancaster?

Over the years Durham has tended to keep students on hold around results day which has meant te better clearing options have been filled. They are also very restrictive on grades and not a good insurance choice. You would be better off with Lancaster. Durham is also better known for its Humanities and Science courses rather than Business.

Hi I have been hearing about the housing issue in Durham and second years + having to queue like all night at letting agents before they open up.
Whether they will be better this year its difficult to say. My eldest studies at Lancaster and housing has never been an issue. First year she stayed in uni halls on campus. Second year she lived in the middle of the city with a flat of 8 and that was landlord accommodation and they secured that middle of december. There was still plenty of houses to choose from at the time as well as we was helping her look. Third year she choose private halls on Penny street. They was still advertising rooms until at least the summer.They did all get snapped up in the end by students, but there are lot of private halls in the city. 4th year, shes signed up for chancellors wharf which is uni owned halls but situated in the city. You can go for chancellors/uni halls on campus accommdation also for year 2, but thats a first come first served and she applied end of november and got told she had a room shortly after that.

Private Halls in Lancaster - Penny Street 3 sets of accommodation by Hello Student
Damside and Luneside accommodation.
Aparto student - think its called caton court.
St leonards gate accommodation
also Bailrigg student living just opposite the uni.
https://www.accommodationforstudents.com/search-results?location=Lancaster&beds=0&occupancy=min&propertyTypes=halls&minPrice=0&maxPrice=500&latitude=54.047001&longitude=-2.801&geo=false&page=1
also prestige accommodation right next to the bus stop in the city https://prestigestudentliving.com/student-accommodation/lancaster/foundry-studios?utm_source=Google%20Ads&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Foundry%20Studios%20%20-%20Lancaster%20-%20SEARCH&gclid=Cj0KCQiA8t2eBhDeARIsAAVEga0VROHiGrhFNge1YJ-uUVWU0LIhlR_97rxmUdCX-AprHFv9aGNec7UaAuqcEALw_wcB
City block, marton street https://www.cityblock.co.uk/marton-street-lancaster

Lancaster ''We do not offer a formal guarantee to students joining us as their insurance choice or through clearing, though we can usually accommodate many students in those categories and can advise on alternative options if the need arises'' https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/accommodation/undergraduate/#am-i-guaranteed-a-room-403345-1.
This is usually said by most universities, but at least you have some options above to look at as well. City accommodation is about 10-15 mins on a very regular bus to the uni.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
Over the years Durham has tended to keep students on hold around results day which has meant te better clearing options have been filled. They are also very restrictive on grades and not a good insurance choice. You would be better off with Lancaster. Durham is also better known for its Humanities and Science courses rather than Business.

they only require aab so the grades are not a problem for me, would employers care if I went to Lancaster instead of Durham?
Lancaster has been a really positive experience for my son. Scholarships offered, accommodation top notch and affordable, seond/third year accom. been easy to find and good quality. pastorally good too, careers support great.
I go to Lancaster University. It is a concentration of modern buildings in a historic town, although a small part of the accommodation is historic. The university is mostly surrounded by farms, and there is a mountain nearby to the university but it is hard to walk there.
I got accommodation after applying about a week after clearing, although it was my second choice of accommodation. You probably won't get rejected from on campus accommodation though; there were only 7 people in my first year flat which had a capacity of 8.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
they only require aab so the grades are not a problem for me, would employers care if I went to Lancaster instead of Durham?

No. Employers care more about what you do in addition to your degree (internships, etc.) than where you go for your degree.

The degree will be similar wherever you go, both Lancaster and Durham rank well and are research focused universities. Like @normaw mentioned, the university you go to is considered less than your experience and how hard you worked for your degree. Good luck with your offers!

-Adam (Maths)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending