The Student Room Group

Active recall

How are ways I can interpret active recall into my revision. So let’s say I read through a textbook and then I close it and write as much of the information ast I can remember and then open the book up again and see what I can remember and what I have missed and then read again and write as much as I can remember and do this until I can write all of the information don without looking at the textbook
Instead of writing things down, just say it out loud. It saves time.

Incrementally increase the amount of content you write down / say out loud. Firstly cover up one page and recall it. Secondly, cover up two pages. Then try to recall the whole chapter without looking. Do that until you can recall all of the content you're gonna be tested on without looking.

What's more efficient is to layer learning. Check out Justin Sung's YouTube channel or Elizabeth Filip's How to Study videos.

Hope this helps. :smile: This is just what works for me.
Original post by dkwhatdoaboutyou

Incrementally increase the amount of content you write down / say out loud. Firstly cover up one page and recall it. Secondly, cover up two pages. Then try to recall the whole chapter without looking. Do that until you can recall all of the content you're gonna be tested on without looking.

What's more efficient is to layer learning. Check out Justin Sung's YouTube channel or Elizabeth Filip's How to Study videos.

I can’t remember better if I write it down instead of saying it out loud and I also like to use the blurting technique so before I start revising I write everything down that I have learnt
Original post by Lauraa21
I can’t remember better if I write it down instead of saying it out loud and I also like to use the blurting technique so before I start revising I write everything down that I have learnt.

What is layer learning

I have got a question on what I should do so I am doing GCSEs biology revising and after revising one topic should I do flashcards and quizzes or as I am going through each topic I should do flashcards and quizzes
I can’t remember better if I write it down instead of saying it out loud and I also like to use the blurting technique so before I start revising I write everything down that I have learnt

Oh right, yes, writing does aid memory and blurting is a good tool to assess your gaps in knowledge. You might already do this but saying the content out loud while writing it out might help memory even more, since you're hearing and seeing the words at the same time.

What is layer learning

Ah I should've asked what exams you were doing. Dw about layering if it's GCSE, but it might be something to consider for A-levels. It's just a revision method for when you have a lot of content, but I think GCSE isn't content-heavy enough to make it that worthwhile.

I have got a question on what I should do so I am doing GCSEs biology revising and after revising one topic should I do flashcards and quizzes or as I am going through each topic I should do flashcards and quizzes

Depends on the difficulty. For efficiency, definitely do it after the topic. If you find the topic harder, do them throughout.
Oh right, yes, writing does aid memory and blurting is a good tool to assess your gaps in knowledge. You might already do this but saying the content out loud while writing it out might help memory even more, since you're hearing and seeing the words at the same time.

Ah I should've asked what exams you were doing. Dw about layering if it's GCSE, but it might be something to consider for A-levels. It's just a revision method for when you have a lot of content, but I think GCSE isn't content-heavy enough to make it that worthwhile.

Depends on the difficulty. For efficiency, definitely do it after the topic. If you find the topic harder, do them throughout.

Ok thank you do you know how I can also improve I’m exam technique
Ok thank you do you know how I can also improve I’m exam technique

What grades are you currently getting, or what marks?
What grades are you currently getting, or what marks?

All 3 and few 4s
How are ways I can interpret active recall into my revision. So let’s say I read through a textbook and then I close it and write as much of the information ast I can remember and then open the book up again and see what I can remember and what I have missed and then read again and write as much as I can remember and do this until I can write all of the information don without looking at the textbook

Incorporating active recall is useful:

https://www.goodnotes.com/blog/active-recall-studying#:~:text=Active%20recall%20requires%20making%20an,such%20an%20important%20study%20method.
However, I am working on memory palaces not writing copious amounts of notes. Though I agree writing in your words assist with understanding also exercise, proper amounts of sleep, good nutrition and the avoiding of cramming.

Mind Palace series:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkZ2FGJhR5R_mzDp76DZH5n5mG-ni72LC

Book Extract:
Change Your Brain, Change Your Grades Image of Change Your Brain, Change Your Grades By Daniel G. Amen for New Habits: Brain-Changing Practices to End Self-Defeating Behaviors and Create Healthy Ones.

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/Change_Your_Brain_Change_Your_Grades/1GGWDwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&printsec=frontcover

In addition to accessing your syllabuses for each of the subjects to be examined, using textbook and revisions books only as reference and doing as many pass papers as possible to time. learning to how out resources, The Student Room has free revision techniques, Youtube, Quizlet, Save My Exams, Get Revising, Mind Study.

https://flyp.academy/

All the best with exams
Original post by username6072837
All 3 and few 4s

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I see that you've deleted your account but I'll just leave a message in case you check this thread again somehow.

What improved my Bio exam technique was listing all of the keywords for each topic. In the past I missed out on marks for not phrasing things precisely, so having a keywords list made the words I needed to use more prominent in my memory.

Also, I marked my practice exam answers very harshly: even if I missed out on one seemingly insignificant detail, I deducted a mark. Then I analysed the question to understand what it was really asking me, by underlining keywords in the question, and picked apart the correct answer to see why that was correct. Once I understood it, I repeated answering the questions that I initially got wrong immediately after I checked them against the mark scheme, and then after I finished the topic, I repeated all of those "initially wrong" questions altogether. It seems a bit overkill but I think if you do it properly, it'll get you full or near full marks.

However, firstly, it's really important to learn all of the content solidly, which should get you 6s or 7s if you're doing Higher GCSEs. Best of luck in your exams!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending