The Student Room Group

Visual learning

What are some study tips for visual learners because I’m struggling to remember everything?
- watch videos / demonstrations
- make mind maps
- try to link information to an image
- make flashcards
Write down things to help remember them. A wall of text can be really off-putting, so keep it simple, split into bullet points, and use a colour coded system (e.g. highlighters) to break your notes up and organise them.

An alternative could be to type your notes up nicely, print them off and then display on a 'study wall', somewhere you'll often look. I personally find the act of physically writing notes helps to 'lock in' that information to memory, but typing might still work for you, especially if you make them colourful and pleasing to look at.
Reply 3
Original post by waffelton
- watch videos / demonstrations
- make mind maps
- try to link information to an image
- make flashcards

Thank you for replying, I’m currently trying the loci method to see if it works. I’m not really sure how to make flash cards because it’s hard to condense everything into a small page
Reply 4
Original post by EarlyGrey
Write down things to help remember them. A wall of text can be really off-putting, so keep it simple, split into bullet points, and use a colour coded system (e.g. highlighters) to break your notes up and organise them.

An alternative could be to type your notes up nicely, print them off and then display on a 'study wall', somewhere you'll often look. I personally find the act of physically writing notes helps to 'lock in' that information to memory, but typing might still work for you, especially if you make them colourful and pleasing to look at.

Thank you for replying, I find that writing things down helps me more than typing because my brain is actually progressing the words.
Original post by Cloudster
Thank you for replying, I find that writing things down helps me more than typing because my brain is actually progressing the words.

I'm exactly the same. Taking photocopies/ printouts of course materials and scribbling my own notes in the margins has been one of my most effective ways to absorb information. I know writing in books is a bit of a taboo subject, but if I have my own personal copy I'll tend to scribble directly on them for this reason (if it's a book I don't intend to sell on, anyway).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending