The Student Room Group

Math question

There is a total of 132 markers in box A and box B combined. There is 48 fewer markers in box B than 5/7 of the number of markers in box A. How many markers are in box A?
What have you tried so far?

To really start from scratch, do you know which chapter/topic of maths is the question about?
Original post by tonyiptony
What have you tried so far?

To really start from scratch, do you know which chapter/topic of maths is the question about?

I have tried drawing it out using a box method. It’s from a problem solving while using visuals section
Original post by Strugglingmath
I have tried drawing it out using a box method. It’s from a problem solving while using visuals section

Okay. Do you mind elaborating what "box method" is? i.e. Can you post what have you drawn (perhaps by uploading a photo of your work)?
Original post by tonyiptony
Okay. Do you mind elaborating what "box method" is? i.e. Can you post what have you drawn (perhaps by uploading a photo of your work)?

It’s called the Singapore box method. It’s a way of visualizing the question
Original post by Strugglingmath
It’s called the Singapore box method. It’s a way of visualizing the question

Hmm... I've tried to read up this method, but it seems to be overcomplicating things. Do you have to use this method?

Otherwise, have you learned techniques in "solving two equations in two unknowns"?
If so, there is a standard first line to write down here.

P.S. While visualization helps kickstart the problem quite often, it doesn't really constitute as a solution on its own most of the time.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest