The Student Room Group

Thoughts on RCS?

Hello:
I received an "almost" unconditional offer from RCS, the only condition being I graduate from high school in 3 months. I'm in the US so I have never been to Glasgow. Does anyone know what the facilities (concert spaces, practice rooms, etc.) are like at RCS? And, if you did attend, what was your overall experience like? Although not in the UK, I also have an offer from the Royal Irish Academy of Music. Same situation: I've never been to Dublin so am wondering about the facilities. I know that RIAM recently had a building campaign so their facilities are quite new.
Thank you,
-M
Hi, I have been to an open day at RCS with my son and toured the accommodation. We also attended for a day for the audition, he was successful and will start there in September. I was really impressed, all the facilities were excellent and the staff we spoke to were enthusiastic and interested. We also spent a weekend in Glasgow on another occasion getting our bearings and exploring a bit and that was a good experience too. I can’t comment on what it’s like being a student but everyone we’ve met said they had a great experience. Good luck whatever you decide. It must be very hard decision to make if you’ve not visited.
Original post by saughtonhall23
Hi, I have been to an open day at RCS with my son and toured the accommodation. We also attended for a day for the audition, he was successful and will start there in September. I was really impressed, all the facilities were excellent and the staff we spoke to were enthusiastic and interested. We also spent a weekend in Glasgow on another occasion getting our bearings and exploring a bit and that was a good experience too. I can’t comment on what it’s like being a student but everyone we’ve met said they had a great experience. Good luck whatever you decide. It must be very hard decision to make if you’ve not visited.

Thank you for your reply. My dad and I plan to visit RCS, and other conservatoires where I have been accepted, in late March so that will be helpful.
Reply 3
Original post by FlutePlayer
Hello:
I received an "almost" unconditional offer from RCS, the only condition being I graduate from high school in 3 months. I'm in the US so I have never been to Glasgow. Does anyone know what the facilities (concert spaces, practice rooms, etc.) are like at RCS? And, if you did attend, what was your overall experience like? Although not in the UK, I also have an offer from the Royal Irish Academy of Music. Same situation: I've never been to Dublin so am wondering about the facilities. I know that RIAM recently had a building campaign so their facilities are quite new.
Thank you,
-M

Hi! A close friend of mine is in their third/final year at RCS. I know they've made great friends there and have developed some great skills, but I also know that the school is kind of a mess: tutors/professors being unhelpful (especially in first year), issues with communication both between and within departments, etc.

My acting mentor of a decade (RADA alumna) recommended that I steer clear as well, and that was only last year. I think it's a great school that produces incredible artists, but it sounds like they've been having some real issues over the last few years.

With all that being said, this isn't my personal experience, and even if it were, I'm only one person. I hope you get more replies to give you a better idea of what the overall consensus is on RCS! All I can say is that Scotland is a beautiful country with a vibrant culture. Whether you end up at RCS or not, you should definitely visit!!! I hope this helped. :h:
Original post by isahko
Hi! A close friend of mine is in their third/final year at RCS. I know they've made great friends there and have developed some great skills, but I also know that the school is kind of a mess: tutors/professors being unhelpful (especially in first year), issues with communication both between and within departments, etc.

My acting mentor of a decade (RADA alumna) recommended that I steer clear as well, and that was only last year. I think it's a great school that produces incredible artists, but it sounds like they've been having some real issues over the last few years.

With all that being said, this isn't my personal experience, and even if it were, I'm only one person. I hope you get more replies to give you a better idea of what the overall consensus is on RCS! All I can say is that Scotland is a beautiful country with a vibrant culture. Whether you end up at RCS or not, you should definitely visit!!! I hope this helped. :h:

Hello, sorry to jump onto this post. Thank you for your insight into RCS - I was wondering if you knew if RCS is up there with big schools like LAMDA, RADA, Central in terms of employability/calibre? Did you get the impression the messiness of some aspects of it carried through to the graduates prospects/careers? Sorry for all the questions!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending