The Student Room Group

Physics

Does anyone have any tips for a level physics? Maths comes fairly naturally to me, been a steady A/A* student as well as in history but physics is seemingly my weak point (hovering around a B/C) and it's very frustrating. The main advice I see is do past papers, I'm on the AQA exam board and have completed all of the papers multiple times now but not really seeing any improvement. I am also doing questions on Physics and Maths tutor as well as my textbook but to no avail. I hate physics mark schemes more than anything in the world, they feel designed to catch you out and more so than any other subject. Does anyone have any advice?
Original post by IM47
Does anyone have any tips for a level physics? Maths comes fairly naturally to me, been a steady A/A* student as well as in history but physics is seemingly my weak point (hovering around a B/C) and it's very frustrating. The main advice I see is do past papers, I'm on the AQA exam board and have completed all of the papers multiple times now but not really seeing any improvement. I am also doing questions on Physics and Maths tutor as well as my textbook but to no avail. I hate physics mark schemes more than anything in the world, they feel designed to catch you out and more so than any other subject. Does anyone have any advice?

1. Speak with your teacher see if you can arrange to spend some time together working through your past paper. Perhaps they can show you what you doing wrong.
2. It may be that you are spending more times on the subject you find easy than on Physics because you enjoy it less.
3. Perhaps in your answers your not referring to the fundamental underlying principle when you answer the subject. May be your answer is not precise enough in Physics it either right or wrong.
4. Get a full paper for the new specifications have the syllabus accompanying you and see if you can identify aspects in the questions that relate back to the syllabus. It may be the angle in which you view things is the issue. The syllabus is hinting at what the examiners are looking for.
5. The Physics paper is designed to test your knowledge and that you understand and are not just regurgitating. The mark scheme just gives the right answer. Perhaps get into the mind of the examiner did they come by that right answer have a look at your syllabus.
6. You mentioned textbook, have you a revision book perhaps get one if you have not done so.
7. If your parents/caregiver can afford perhaps asked for a private physics tutor to help move higher grade A/B but there is no guarantee.
8. This is quite drastic perhaps look at other boards and attempt their paper if you do better in those take the evidence to your teacher and see if they can enter you for that paper instead. You may need to be a private candidate and there is a little thing as the science endorsement and would your teacher support you in this? Their OCR, Edexcel and WJEC. Maybe you'd find yourself more suited to one of the standard A level Physic board or the Cambridge International modular A-level. This option may require you to withdraw from university and A-levels and take a third year because your 3 A-levels need to be done in one sitting.
9. Perhaps you could assist fellow students here with answering their Physics GCSE, A/S and A-level question for half an hour every few days. This may help you in your knowledge.
Try this
https://flyp.academy/a-level-physics-aqa/
And this
https://www.stem.org.uk/resources
Finally watch this,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uul5JyMi9oM
Reply 2
Original post by Ambergris
1. Speak with your teacher see if you can arrange to spend some time together working through your past paper. Perhaps they can show you what you doing wrong.
2. It may be that you are spending more times on the subject you find easy than on Physics because you enjoy it less.
3. Perhaps in your answers your not referring to the fundamental underlying principle when you answer the subject. May be your answer is not precise enough in Physics it either right or wrong.
4. Get a full paper for the new specifications have the syllabus accompanying you and see if you can identify aspects in the questions that relate back to the syllabus. It may be the angle in which you view things is the issue. The syllabus is hinting at what the examiners are looking for.
5. The Physics paper is designed to test your knowledge and that you understand and are not just regurgitating. The mark scheme just gives the right answer. Perhaps get into the mind of the examiner did they come by that right answer have a look at your syllabus.
6. You mentioned textbook, have you a revision book perhaps get one if you have not done so.
7. If your parents/caregiver can afford perhaps asked for a private physics tutor to help move higher grade A/B but there is no guarantee.
8. This is quite drastic perhaps look at other boards and attempt their paper if you do better in those take the evidence to your teacher and see if they can enter you for that paper instead. You may need to be a private candidate and there is a little thing as the science endorsement and would your teacher support you in this? Their OCR, Edexcel and WJEC. Maybe you'd find yourself more suited to one of the standard A level Physic board or the Cambridge International modular A-level. This option may require you to withdraw from university and A-levels and take a third year because your 3 A-levels need to be done in one sitting.
9. Perhaps you could assist fellow students here with answering their Physics GCSE, A/S and A-level question for half an hour every few days. This may help you in your knowledge.
Try this
https://flyp.academy/a-level-physics-aqa/
And this
https://www.stem.org.uk/resources
Finally watch this,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uul5JyMi9oM

Sorry for the slow reply, thanks for the answers. I've been revising the crap out of physics especially with the run up to examas and I'm semi regularly getting 75% or so, I think it's been largely down to exam technique and just breaking it down into easy to digest concepts, thanks for the reply!

Quick Reply

Latest