The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Naranoc
In terms of your personal experience. Here I'm probably referring to the period between your ability to write the essay in fairly good time, and when you know that it's actually impossible for you to hand it in on the deadline.

So far this term, the latest I've started an essay is around midnight, to be handed in at 9am. But I'm sure those of you who get set more essays have had it much worse over the years :tongue:

I wrote an 18 page (double-spaced) essay in 3 hours, complete with proofing.

I believe that is the closest I've cut it, however.
Reply 2
Naranoc
So far this term, the latest I've started an essay is around midnight, to be handed in at 9am. But I'm sure those of you who get set more essays have had it much worse over the years :tongue:

The latest I started ever started an essay was around 4am (it was due at 9am). My tutor said it was "very good, but the structure of the argument was occasionally a little confusing".:smile:

Essay crises aren't all they're cracked up to be, though, to be honest. They're just part of the creative process.
Reply 3
i have started at 2am to hand it in at 9am, stayed up until 6am doing it, to then crawl into college completely beyond knackered but with it done, to find out the teacher was ill and not going to be in all week.

How i wept.
Reply 4
The other day I promised a teacher I'd get a first draft essay to her on tuesday. I got about 10% of it done the night before and went to school the next morning knowing I hadn't done it.

Luckily though, she forgot to ask for it !!! :biggrin: Close call.

Jesus Christ that reminds me, I STILL ain't done it !:eek:
haha for my theatre studies portfolio i complied a twenty page essay from 9pm til 4am to be handed in at 10am:p:
francescarella
haha for my theatre studies portfolio i complied a twenty page essay from 9pm til 4am to be handed in at 10am:p:

Have you met Matt Williams yet?! Hows central? Apparantly its very hard but fun
T-o dore
Have you met Matt Williams yet?! Hows central? Apparantly its very hard but fun

no what course is he on? and what year?

central's awesome. youve got it spot on. very hard but very fun:smile: and very bizarre. and homosexual.
Reply 8
When's an door not a door? When it's "a-jar". LOL I MAKE JOKE FROM THREAD TITLE.
francescarella
no what course is he on? and what year?

central's awesome. youve got it spot on. very hard but very fun:smile: and very bizarre. and homosexual.

1st year. All he does is acting - I guess the same one as u. Hes like 5 foot 10, dark spiky hair, with stubble, very good at beatboxing... if you see him around hes cool!
Lozzaa
When's an door not a door? When it's "a-jar". LOL I MAKE JOKE FROM THREAD TITLE.

:ninja: When I was 10 it took me literally days to get that joke.

Anyhow, back on topic. That's pretty damn impressive guys... My essay crisis consisted of not having it done at 7pm when it was due in the next day at 2pm.
T-o dore
1st year. All he does is acting - I guess the same one as u. Hes like 5 foot 10, dark spiky hair, with stubble, very good at beatboxing... if you see him around hes cool!

hmm i cant say i recognise the name:s-smilie: i probs have seen/met him. but there's so many people in such a small place we all get separated lol

edit: how do you know him? so it wont be just a random "oh hi i know someone who knows you" lol.
last night i was writing until gone 7am... but it wasn't due till 2, it's just i find it harder to write when i get up than when i'm just tired. it's a bit annoying, but that's how i work.
My first year was noteable for several cycles of four essays due in an 8 day time-frame, repeated thrice during each term. I'd try to space it out for myself and get some done earlier, but often this only meant that the first essay and maybe the second were done comfortably while the last two necessitated all nighters. Nightmare!
Seriously, I enjoyed revision and exams in contrast :rolleyes:
And yeh.. typically I'd read until 2am and then make a start when I literally only had enough time to write an essay left.
Reply 14
What you need to get yourself is a good dose of insomnia and a startling ability to skim-read book jackets.
I managed to get full marks in my English Lit A level without having read one of the set texts (at the time, I mean, I'd read them all in the previous years, which helped), and having spent a full 3 hours on the coursework in total. Absolutely doable.
Reply 15
when the other people trying to get work off you leave your room after procrastinating and pretending to make an effort at 3.15am and you have to get the essay done by nine, and they have gone to bed...

oh and you haven't started the reading yet...
I often get a third through it in good time, then slack off and deal with the rest slowly. I get worried if I haven't done it all within 3 days of the deadline though.
Reply 17
Once I started at essay at 1pm when it was due in at 5pm that day. I thought it went pretty well, but then after I handed it in I realised it was full of awful, awful typos.

at the moment, I'm sat up writing one of three essays which are all due in next week. I've been sat here for many hours, and I've got basically nowhere. It's on a poem called 'Procrastination'. My English tutor just loves him some irony..
Everyone not at Oxford, get out. You have no idea what essays are.

Essay crisis (n):
- reading plus essay in less than 24 hours, or
- essay in less than 6 hours.
2 5 +
Everyone not at Oxford, get out. You have no idea what essays are.

Don't worry, aside from my good self, they should all be asleep my now. :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending