The Student Room Group

Advanced higher subjects for medicine

Hi, I’m currently in S5 and am picking subjects for S6. I plan to do medicine once I leave school. But I’m not a huge fan of chemistry. So I was planning on dropping it, then taking Biology, maths and modern studies to AH. Will this affect me when applying?
Original post by TDCTV
Hi, I’m currently in S5 and am picking subjects for S6. I plan to do medicine once I leave school. But I’m not a huge fan of chemistry. So I was planning on dropping it, then taking Biology, maths and modern studies to AH. Will this affect me when applying?

Hi. You will be very limited in where you can apply without chemistry. You should definitely consider continuing to take it. That said, it is still possible to get in with biology and maths but there are fewer medical schools that allow that combination. This is something you really need to think about. Maybe have a look at medical school entry requirements to see exactly where you would be able to apply too and whether you would like to go to those universities. That might help you a lot.
Reply 2
Original post by TDCTV

Hi! Was just wondering what subjects you ended up picking?
I was in the same boat as yours when I was making my choices; Hated the thought of doing AH Chem so decided not to take it.

I emailed all the Scottish universities before I made that decision though and they said it was fine, so long as you were doing at least 2 AHs and got your required Higher grades.
Good luck with exams by the way :h:
Reply 3
Original post by enhaluvr
Hi! Was just wondering what subjects you ended up picking?
I was in the same boat as yours when I was making my choices; Hated the thought of doing AH Chem so decided not to take it.

I emailed all the Scottish universities before I made that decision though and they said it was fine, so long as you were doing at least 2 AHs and got your required Higher grades.
Good luck with exams by the way :h:

Hi,
I did end up taking AH Bio, Maths and Modern Studies because no scottish unis require chem past higher.
thanks, and good luck to you too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending