The Student Room Group

Student nurse - holidays

Do student nurses not get holidays in august?
Reply 1
The shocking answer is usually no they don't. When other students are free and easy in the long Summer months, most student nurses are hard grafting on hospital wards on rotation as part of their 'work experience'.

This is a clever way of NHS hospitals recouping their student nurse bursary money and covering the school holidays when most of their ward staff take time off with wards which are short staffed. A bit of a shock to the system. It is inevitable that student nurses pick up the slack, but offers an insight into badly run rotas and poor time management by nurse managers. It is difficult to imagine any other public service which still swaps and changes polar opposite nights and day shifts (within 24 hours) and then expects operational nursing staff to feel energised, caring and happy. Particularly when these extreme body clock shifts are required because agency staff are more expensive at night or at weekends.

You will get some time off eventually but be prepared to feel short changed and over worked as most student nurses are expected to give their souls to the cause, whilst their student friends are on some hot beach serving at a bar or beach. That said you get to see first hand how the training and nursing care all works.
Reply 2
Original post by nomar567

Sometimes, yes, but sometimes, no. You're guaranteed 2 weeks off for Christmas, 2 weeks a Easter-time(ish), 2 weeks at some point over the summer but this might not be in August, and an occasional other week/reading week elsewhere.
Reply 3

I have to agree with what Emily_B has said about this in her reply.

Hi,

It really does vary from university to university as each university takes its annual leave at different times due to placement availability and factors such as that. Some universities get some time off in August whilst others work the whole way through Summer.

Personally, in 2nd year I got 2 weeks off at the end of August, but I know others at other universities who were on placement throughout the month of August. As I said, it really depends on the university and their surrounding circumstances.

To be honest, a nursing degree doesn’t have a lot of annual leave which can be hard to deal with as it’s a full on course with lots of placements and teaching hours but it’s worth it in the long run when you complete your course and hopefully qualify as a nurse!

I hope this is of some assistance,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children’s Nursing)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending