The Student Room Group

A-level Art for Oxford Physics?

I want to study Physics and Philosophy at Oxford. Currently in year 13, planning on applying 7th term. For various reasons, I have to defer sitting my Further Maths A-level until next year (2024), which gives me the opportunity of doing another A-level fast track in a year, having already (hopefully) achieved A*s in Physics, Maths and English Lit. My first thought was Philosophy, but the only option is Religious Studies. I have heard that this is a lot of content, very prescribed and not at all relevant or necessary to Philosophy at degree level, especially at Oxford. Besides, I'm rather sick of school and A-levels and more mark schemes and exam specs aren't very appealing. My preference would be to do Art, which is one of my hobbies. I like the idea of doing something with more independence and I have heard that A-level is a lot more research-based than GCSE and has a more academic side to it. I was thinking of basing a project around Mathematics and Art in the natural world (fractals, golden ratio, Da Vinci, etc.) as something unique to talk about in my personal statement. However, I have been told that A-level Fine Art is considered a really soft subject by Oxford and it will degrade my application significantly, if not blow it completely, even if I get a strong PAT score. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Thanks!
Reply 1
It is more likely to have a negative impact on your application if it is one of 3 A-levels you take. However, if you are likely to have A* in Physics, Maths and English Lit. and will also be taking Further Maths it will not be taking the place of a stronger subject in your options, it will be adding variety. As long as you also make sure you achieve highly in your PAT and Further Maths, it would not affect anything
Original post by AnnieBlue:)
I want to study Physics and Philosophy at Oxford. Currently in year 13, planning on applying 7th term. For various reasons, I have to defer sitting my Further Maths A-level until next year (2024), which gives me the opportunity of doing another A-level fast track in a year, having already (hopefully) achieved A*s in Physics, Maths and English Lit. My first thought was Philosophy, but the only option is Religious Studies. I have heard that this is a lot of content, very prescribed and not at all relevant or necessary to Philosophy at degree level, especially at Oxford. Besides, I'm rather sick of school and A-levels and more mark schemes and exam specs aren't very appealing. My preference would be to do Art, which is one of my hobbies. I like the idea of doing something with more independence and I have heard that A-level is a lot more research-based than GCSE and has a more academic side to it. I was thinking of basing a project around Mathematics and Art in the natural world (fractals, golden ratio, Da Vinci, etc.) as something unique to talk about in my personal statement. However, I have been told that A-level Fine Art is considered a really soft subject by Oxford and it will degrade my application significantly, if not blow it completely, even if I get a strong PAT score. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Thanks!

Not at all. Do what u enjoy. Oxford will not care about the other A levels (so long as u pass them) if I have 3. It says on the requirements A*AA and they recommend (not essential) math, physics and further maths (which u will be taking/ have taken by then). So assuming u get the grades then it will not matter. What will matter is ur interview and PAT score. There’s where the differentiation between candidates is made. I say do what u enjoy :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending