The Student Room Group

Applying to architecture - worried about field trips

I’m thinking of applying to study architecture and read about field trips being an important part of the course, which I fully understand. However, I am absolutely terrified of flying and just cannot do it. Worst case scenario, would I be able to arrange my own travel?
Reply 1
Why can't you do fieldtrips? What is stopping you? Autism spectrum disorder, financials cost, a medical condition?
Original post by Ðeggs
Why can't you do fieldtrips? What is stopping you? Autism spectrum disorder, financials cost, a medical condition?

Hi, sorry for the long delay in response. I am happy to do field trips however I can’t travel by plane due to a mental health issue and was wondering if I would be able to make alternative travel arrangements (if needed) because of this
Original post by futurefirefall
Hi, sorry for the long delay in response. I am happy to do field trips however I can’t travel by plane due to a mental health issue and was wondering if I would be able to make alternative travel arrangements (if needed) because of this

probably, but there will always be other trips that are accessible to you nationally by rail or car and that's something you should ask the unis ur interested in, esp how their courses are structured around trips. im starting arch in sept and theres one trip to europe for team-building etc at the beginning which isnt compulsory but better if u can make it, but with alternative options for people who cant
Reply 4

What mental health issue - why does this stop you going on field trips? Do you need counselling or behavioural therapy support for example? Doesn't seem like a valid reason to me as fieldtrips are an important part of architecture.

Check the policy of the unis where you are applying. My son has only had one overseas field trip on his course and it wasn't mandatory (it's an extra cost so some students wouldn't be able to afford it). Saying that, all eligible students did go but they all had to plan and book their own travel and accommodation. That would mean you could find an alternative mode of transport if the trip was to mainland Europe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending