The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

englishstudent
And why not? :confused:
It's a good reason to sub IMO.

Meh, means they can get away with loads of **** without being neg-repped. The whole point in an anonymous rep system is that good/bad posts can be repped fairly on the basis of their content - if you have a system whereby certain people can see who reps them then it becomes unfair...there's always the fact that they could just neg-rep you back out of spite, and it makes them less likely to get neg-repped.
I know I've not bothered to neg-rep subs in the past for offensive posts that I would have neg-repped someone else for, just because I can't be bothered with the hassle of stressy PMs showing up in my inbox demanding explanations that I don't owe.

Imho, it's not fair even if they are paying. There are other reasons to sub; no need for the non-anonymous rep thing.

ZarathustraX
Reply 41
Zapsta

No, they prioritise smooth operation of the site, be that through locking/deleting thread or handing out warnings. Non-mods don't have that clouding their judgement of what would be best for the members.

Well I don't really spend anytime moderating anymore. I spend most of my time on here helping users out with their problems and adding new bits and bobs. Isn't that me and rich then? This is why I'm trying to get ideas off you.

Because mods can't leak info?

They don't seem to.

I think that's something to be discussed after we've decided on the council's proposed existence, rather than to influence the decision on whether it exists or not.

Whats the point if it's possible its not going to work?

Based on what? Are you suggesting that non-mod members are less able to reach 'proper' conclusions than moderators are? Part of the problem is that, in many members' eyes, the mods haven't been able to make correct decisions. The council would aid, not hinder.

In my experience, the moderators are much better at reaching decisions.
Reply 42
Ollie
Well I don't really spend anytime moderating anymore. I spend most of my time on here helping users out with their problems and adding new bits and bobs. Isn't that me and rich then? This is why I'm trying to get ideas off you.

I dont think its possible to argue that the moderators fully represent the interests of the forum. I was also under the impression that this was not actually something we were looking to acheive?

Why do you think that is? Is it because they are all of the same mindset and can "work better together" without conflicting interests from others on the forum with different views?
Reply 43
vienna95

Why do you think that is? Is it because they are all of the same mindset and can "work better together" without conflicting interests from others on the forum with different views?

They quite often have differences of opinion. They just seem more recpeptive to others people's, and are more willing to follow the majority.
Reply 44
Ollie
and are more willing to follow the majority.

I wouldnt say that was something that ensured a fair representation of all members on the forum.

Id be interested in how receptive they are to those who they recognise as having differing opinions to the so called 'majority'?

It was my understanding that A was not seeking to make specific any broad representation of the forum, which would at least allow Zapsta's argument to be entertained, irrespective of its practicalities.
Reply 45
Ollie

Not really. I've already said this - your priorities are different, irrespective of how active your moderating may be.
Ollie
They don't seem to.

Neither do regular members.
Ollie
Whats the point if it's possible its not going to work?

Based on what? There are several effective ways in which the council members could be chosen. Just because it may seem a hard decision to make simply because it has not been paid due consideration, it doesn't mean that it makes the council an impossible prospect. I am merely saying that it is something that should not be paid due consideration until we have decided whether it shall exist or not.
Ollie

As far as I am aware, there has been no occassion on which non-mods have worked together as a unit. And has Vienna has said and I have alluded to in my first point, moderators often find it so easy to make decisions because they are only supporting one point of view, which is basically the problem.
Look here

Any chance of it being switched back on?
Bump.

Ollie, I posted a suggestion which was largely ignored...

Zarathustra
Suggestion:
I don't think subs should be able to see who reps them.

(Yes, I do plan to sub soon).

ZarathustraX

englishstudent
And why not? :confused:
It's a good reason to sub IMO.

Zarathustra
Meh, means they can get away with loads of **** without being neg-repped. The whole point in an anonymous rep system is that good/bad posts can be repped fairly on the basis of their content - if you have a system whereby certain people can see who reps them then it becomes unfair...there's always the fact that they could just neg-rep you back out of spite, and it makes them less likely to get neg-repped.
I know I've not bothered to neg-rep subs in the past for offensive posts that I would have neg-repped someone else for, just because I can't be bothered with the hassle of stressy PMs showing up in my inbox demanding explanations that I don't owe.

Imho, it's not fair even if they are paying. There are other reasons to sub; no need for the non-anonymous rep thing.

ZarathustraX

What do you think?

ZarathustraX
Reply 48
Zarathustra
Bump.

What do you think?

ZarathustraX

I don't know why people are scared to neg rep a sub. If you neg rep for a good reason then most subs aren't going to neg rep you back. If you don't do it for a good reason then watch out.
Reply 49
Zarathustra
Bump.

What do you think?

ZarathustraX

Hey, well yeah that would be nice. However I fear that people wouldn't bother signing up...

We need some sort of product and lasting potential for subs.
Ollie
Hey, well yeah that would be nice. However I fear that people wouldn't bother signing up...

We need some sort of product and lasting potential for subs.

make another feature for subs.

what happened to the calender?
Reply 51
Why are full name and where you study now required fields if you want to change your profile? Seems stupid to me
Reply 52
Bezza
Why are full name and where you study now required fields if you want to change your profile? Seems stupid to me

You don't have to put in your full name. And theoretically you could lie about where you study.
Reply 53
i would like to suggest that ip banning should be very specific, because until now i cant access this very nice forums at home, and that kinda makes me sad :frown:
Reply 54
Moncal
You don't have to put in your full name. And theoretically you could lie about where you study.

Err, I did realise that! My point was that I didn't want to put my name or where I studied down, I was just going to put some other info which you always used to be able to do (my profile currently only has sex: M in it)
Reply 55
Bezza
Err, I did realise that! My point was that I didn't want to put my name or where I studied down, I was just going to put some other info which you always used to be able to do (my profile currently only has sex: M in it)

The requirement is for security I'm sure.
Reply 56
Please can you make the additional smilies box easier to use - it takes a while navigating, and having to watch each smiley and work out what they are doing.
Maybe make the table like this:

smiley image | code | description

p.s. there seem to be two :eek : types - :eek: and a yellow one...
Reply 57
sleepyeba

p.s. there seem to be two :eek : types - :eek: and a yellow one...

same for : confused : aswell.
Bilal786
same for : confused : aswell.

And the two 'cool's are still there.

Although the yellow 'cool' does not look cool at all!
Could you please add "chav" to the swear filter?
It's driving me crazy!

Latest

Trending

Trending