The Student Room Group

Car insurance on dads car at 17

2.2L Honda crv and passed my test a couple days ago. I am looking at eventually getting my own car but I don’t get spoonfed it and just like lessons/test, have to pay for it. Every time I look for insurance quotes, it either amounts to two policies at 10 grand (with box) or just nothing at all to becoming a second driver and even veygo temp insurance. Any advise?
Original post by dannyups
2.2L Honda crv and passed my test a couple days ago. I am looking at eventually getting my own car but I don’t get spoonfed it and just like lessons/test, have to pay for it. Every time I look for insurance quotes, it either amounts to two policies at 10 grand (with box) or just nothing at all to becoming a second driver and even veygo temp insurance. Any advise?

What cars are you looking at? If you want cheaper insurance you’ll need to look at less powerful cars probably 1.4L and maybe around 100 hp or if you want a more powerful car then you’ll have to pay the price
It would probably be cheaper to buy and insure yourself on a cheap runaround. At 17 with zero no claims and a 2.2l, it's understandable that most insurers either don't want to know or will just price you out.

NB. have asked for the thread to be moved to Cars & Motoring where you may get more advice.
Reply 3
Original post by dannyups

Yeah, this is entirely unrealistic. Absolutely no insurance company is going to give you a reasonable quote due to the power of the car - you need to be looking at cars in the 1.0L or 1.2L range at the very max - another poster here has suggested 1.4L, but that's still going to be very costly, and I'd advise against it.

If you want to drive in the cheapest possible way, go for a 1.0L manual car from a reliable brand that's a few years old and has semi-decent mileage.
Reply 4
Quick update took your advise, found a 1.2l clio, the tomtom 1196cc 5door to be exact. cheapest quote I got was 2.4 grand with the box. Would this be idle or am I doing something wrong.

Adding named drivers even a parent with 20+ yrs experience seems to bring it up a tad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending