The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Golden Maverick
Could you please add "chav" to the swear filter?
It's driving me crazy!

It's one of my favourite words :biggrin:
Reply 61
i'd say us being able to use bigger avatars...
these 50x50 pixel ones are pretty lame...
perhaps not taller, but wider might be a good idea to save page space...
Reply 62
Can you change back the tongue sticky out smilie to :tongue: rather than :tongue: :?
Reply 63
Bezza
Can you change back the tongue sticky out smilie to :tongue: rather than :tongue: :?

but then some smileys like :party: will not work, and will turn out as :p:arty:
Reply 64
I'd like to suggest that avatar sizes were increased also, most avatars come in 100x100 as default, but I understand the reluctance to go upto such a big size, but maybe an intermediate step?

And also, I'd like to suggest that the moderating team, sub-moderators, moderators, super-moderators, A, et al be thanked for their great work in keeping the forum running smoothly :smile: .
I'm glad the council suggestion seems to have died a death. Given that moderators ARE members I really can't see the need. I mean, look what Ollie's doing here - inviting and discussing suggestions from members. And a council would... invite and discuss suggestions from members, before having to pass those on up to the moderators anyway. It is a thoroughly pointless idea, wrong in principle and with no real arguments in favour, that also introduces extra problems.

I agree with having popup PM notifications (and can't stand the logo, but that's another story) but otherwise I can't actually think of anything wrong with this site!
Reply 66
ThePants999
I'm glad the council suggestion seems to have died a death. Given that moderators ARE members I really can't see the need. I mean, look what Ollie's doing here - inviting and discussing suggestions from members. And a council would... invite and discuss suggestions from members, before having to pass those on up to the moderators anyway. It is a thoroughly pointless idea, wrong in principle and with no real arguments in favour, that also introduces extra problems.

I agree with having popup PM notifications (and can't stand the logo, but that's another story) but otherwise I can't actually think of anything wrong with this site!

Well the members wanted a link bar, and I gave them the link bar they deserved!

The logo is only provisional. Keep the designs coming guys.
Reply 67

It is a thoroughly pointless idea, wrong in principle and with no real arguments in favour, that also introduces extra problems.

There was an argument that with so many diverse members, there needed to be better, proportionate representation. That is a basic premise of council and a fundemental argument.
Reply 68
vienna95
There was an argument that with so many diverse members, there needed to be better, proportionate representation. That is a basic premise of council and a fundemental argument.

But realistically speaking, what use would it have anyway....
vienna95

You what? :eek:

Like a representative for someone from each country or something? You could've been our Parisian correspendant. :rolleyes: :biggrin:
Reply 70
Ollie
But realistically speaking, what use would it have anyway....

I dont believe it was the most efficient proposal, but to say there are no arguments in favour is incorrect.
Reply 71
elpaw
but then some smileys like :party: will not work, and will turn out as :p:arty:

Is there not some way of prioritising smilies though? if you put a close bracket next to a smiley you get a happy face like :rolleyes:)
Reply 72
englishstudent
You what? :eek:

Like a representative for someone from each country or something? You could've been our Parisian correspendant. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Go back to the old party days, and then assign seats by proportional representation, after a vote of all of the members has taken place.

Maybe it was going a bit far.
Reply 73
2 5 +
Go back to the old party days, and then assign seats by proportional representation, after a vote of all of the members has taken place.

Maybe it was going a bit far.

I think so :biggrin:
This might not count as a "suggestion" as such but I'm confused about the purpose of the University courses subforum. People who have posted queries about their university courses - specifically biology, chemistry and physics as this is the only bit I look at - seem often to have them moved into the secondary school courses subforum.

So what is the university courses bit for? And can I suggest that, if it isn't allowed for this already, it be used for university level science (etc) questions? This would be useful, rather than having degree-level questions posted alongside GCSE questions and thereby having the potential to confuse people, as well as perhaps reducing the likelihood of a university student getting a good answer.
MadNatSci
This might not count as a "suggestion" as such but I'm confused about the purpose of the University courses subforum. People who have posted queries about their university courses - specifically biology, chemistry and physics as this is the only bit I look at - seem often to have them moved into the secondary school courses subforum.

So what is the university courses bit for? And can I suggest that, if it isn't allowed for this already, it be used for university level science (etc) questions? This would be useful, rather than having degree-level questions posted alongside GCSE questions and thereby having the potential to confuse people, as well as perhaps reducing the likelihood of a university student getting a good answer.

Please forgive the longwinded answer:smile:....

The idea of the academic (renamed secondary school for reasons unexplained) courses subforums was for gaining subject specific help (like homework help but for all levels - in theory to make it so that people looking for uni level help would be posting alongside A level and GCSE level people - meaning it's more likely that people on the next stage would be able to offer help to the people following them...rather than to split out the subject specific help by the level of study which would mean that people would potentially only get help from their direct peers (which isn't as useful)).

The university subject forums where for swapping notes on the uni's applied for, finding people applying for similar subjects, getting help on applying to specific subjects etc etc (similar to the university specific subforums). In the case of Law, Engineering and Med/Vet/Dent there are sometimes "homework help"* type questions which aren't moved - because in most cases there isn't a more appropriate forum (and demand for solely academic forums for those subjects isn't really high enough to warrant their creation just yet due them not being widely studied below degree level). The Geography Uni forum also contains some relic academic threads from before the geog&geol academic subforum was created.

I don't know why the academic subforums were renamed as secondary school. I've asked (on the requests of members) a few times that they be renamed to something less patronising (even many A level students don't like the idea of posting in secondary school subforums). So far things haven't been changed.

It'd be good if this sort of information could be added to the forum descriptions and maybe a more detailed explaination added to the FAQ.

*I know this is a crappy description but you know what I mean by it:smile:
Reply 76
PQ
Please forgive the longwinded answer:smile:....

The idea of the academic (renamed secondary school for reasons unexplained) courses subforums was for gaining subject specific help (like homework help but for all levels - in theory to make it so that people looking for uni level help would be posting alongside A level and GCSE level people - meaning it's more likely that people on the next stage would be able to offer help to the people following them...rather than to split out the subject specific help by the level of study which would mean that people would potentially only get help from their direct peers (which isn't as useful)).

The university subject forums where for swapping notes on the uni's applied for, finding people applying for similar subjects, getting help on applying to specific subjects etc etc (similar to the university specific subforums). In the case of Law, Engineering and Med/Vet/Dent there are sometimes "homework help"* type questions which aren't moved - because in most cases there isn't a more appropriate forum (and demand for solely academic forums for those subjects isn't really high enough to warrant their creation just yet due them not being widely studied below degree level). The Geography Uni forum also contains some relic academic threads from before the geog&geol academic subforum was created.

I don't know why the academic subforums were renamed as secondary school. I've asked (on the requests of members) a few times that they be renamed to something less patronising (even many A level students don't like the idea of posting in secondary school subforums). So far things haven't been changed.

It'd be good if this sort of information could be added to the forum descriptions and maybe a more detailed explaination added to the FAQ.

*I know this is a crappy description but you know what I mean by it:smile:

I think a complete revamp is in order. It's really confusing...

I was thinking about doing 3, uni, al/gcse and academic. But I just can't work out what would be best.
Reply 77
Ollie
I think a complete revamp is in order. It's really confusing...

I was thinking about doing 3, uni, al/gcse and academic. But I just can't work out what would be best.

I assume uni and al/gcse would be for course discussions etc and academic is for "homework help"* questions for all levels?

If so - that sounds reasonable to me. I agree that all the academic questions from all levels should be in one forum to promote "inter-level helping" !

* = PQ's words :p:
oxymoron
* = PQ's words :p:

:cool: at least one other person can't think of a better term:p:
OK, thanks for the explanation :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending