The Student Room Group

Is there any advantage to doing a degree in the UK?

So I'm an intl student looking at degrees for next year application. but I'm not sure if I should because its so expensive & I'm not planning to take a job in the UK. Someone please advise me.
It’s definitely worth it if you manage to get into to unis like oxbridge, imperial, ucl since they’re very respected universities and are known worldwide. Or even any good Russel group unis.
Original post by Anonymous
Is there any advantage to doing a degree in the UK?

Compared to doing one in which other country? Or compared to doing no degree at all? What subject/course? How much would studying that in your home country cost compared to the UK? With what intention for a career? For a career in the UK or in your home country?

All of the above could influence whether studying in the UK or in your home country would make more sense.
Well that depends on the quality of education you have access to at home. For example if you're Canadian I wouldn't bother.
Original post by DataVenia
Compared to doing one in which other country? Or compared to doing no degree at all? What subject/course? How much would studying that in your home country cost compared to the UK? With what intention for a career? For a career in the UK or in your home country?

All of the above could influence whether studying in the UK or in your home country would make more sense.

Compared to doing degree in my hometown India. For biology. Uk is more expensive because of rent and travel. But I have not compared costs fully yet. I don't want career in the UK. Which is better?
It’s up to you really. Lots of Indian students come to the UK, but that doesn’t mean it’s the right option for you.
Compared to doing degree in my hometown India. For biology. Uk is more expensive because of rent and travel. But I have not compared costs fully yet. I don't want career in the UK. Which is better?

Given the increased costs of studying in the UK, and the fact that you're not interested in a career in the UK after your degree, my instinct is that it more likely to be better for you to study in India.

Unless, of course, there's some "premium" associated with a UK education in India, meaning that you'd get a better job or more pay if you studied in the UK. Is that the case?

At the end of the day, as @Admit-One says above, it's a decision only you can make.
If you're not planning to stay in the UK, then the question is whether the money for the education here is an issue. Only you can decide if the money spent is worth the intangible benefits of coming here for your degree. It's not just about getting a better job once you go back home either. Living somewhere else in a different country with different socio-cultural values is an eye opening experience. Hopefully one which gives us all a better and less judgemental view of our fellow human beings.
So I'm an intl student looking at degrees for next year application. but I'm not sure if I should because its so expensive & I'm not planning to take a job in the UK. Someone please advise me.

Hi,

Glad you've already started looking. So considering expenses, there are various ways of funding your study like a student loan or scholarship and it also depends on the course and university of your choice. And if you end up deciding to study in UK, you might change your mind about getting a job as you progress with your studies. Also, a good degree is very valuable anywhere in the world if used reasonably. So questions you might want to ask yourself, Do I really want to study this course? What else would I do while studying to also help build my career? Are there any companies I can aim at working that also operates in my country? What experiences am I expecting to acquire? You can apply for scholarships or approach schools to ask about student finances or better still, different universities have different tuition fees. Personally, I am an international student and it's been a great experience for me and I've learnt so much. Hope this helps!

Benedicta,
University of Sunderland Student Ambassador.

Honestly if you are not planning to take a job in the UK post graduation then I would not bother.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending