The Student Room Group

Best degrees to become a diplomat?

Hi, does anyone know the best UK undergraduate degrees or universities for someone looking to become a diplomat? Thanks !!
International relations, languages, law, history, politics, economics, PPE
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
There are multiple routes but my dad done political science
Reply 3
Original post by lucy_smith__
Hi, does anyone know the best UK undergraduate degrees or universities for someone looking to become a diplomat? Thanks !!

The one I know did economics.

UK's ambassador to the Soloman Islands.

Best universities in the UK are Oxford and Cambridge. Any will do, as will no degree if you're good enough at getting into and working in FCDO.
Degree subject doesn't seem to really matter unless you want to go into the diplomatic service - economics stream (in which case you need to have a degree with 50% economics content). Obviously being able to speak other languages (particularly non-European languages) may give you an advantage in posting options once you get into the diplomatic service, although I don't think this is a factor at recruitment. So a non-European language degree may be handy in that sense from a longer term perspective.
Reply 5
Sociology
Anthropology
Reply 6
Original post by Makro
Sociology
Anthropology

Really?
Reply 7
Original post by Quady
Really?

Yes, really - How to become a diplomat
Reply 8

Ah right yeah.

'obtain a minimum of a 2:2 degree in a subject that interests you. While a degree in any subject is acceptable, many diplomats choose to pursue a degree in international relations, foreign policy, political science, sociology or cultural anthropology.'

You just deleted the first 90% of the paragraph, and almost more oddly, deleted the word 'cultural'.
Reply 9
Original post by Quady
Ah right yeah.

'obtain a minimum of a 2:2 degree in a subject that interests you. While a degree in any subject is acceptable, many diplomats choose to pursue a degree in international relations, foreign policy, political science, sociology or cultural anthropology.'

You just deleted the first 90% of the paragraph, and almost more oddly, deleted the word 'cultural'.

I didn't 'delete' anything. The first couple of posts mentioned subjects one can study to become a diplomat and I added 2 more from the source given for OP's interest. Please READ the OP again - They asked for 'Courses'. You are trying to see something that clearly isn't there. That's why I gave you the source so you can read the whole lot yourself. I don't need to copy and paste the entire article.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending