The Student Room Group

Second UG Degree for Law or Conversion Course

I am an international student studying their final year in Warwick in HisPol. Which is better for me as an international student a second degree or getting a conversion course.I mean conversion is financially more wise but I am scared that I won't be able to find a job.Not to mention I am only 21 and it feels weird that my undergrad was only 3 years considering that I skipped foundation due to Warwick's language requirements. I am thinking of UCL or Kings for UG. I have heard it has been getting harder for international students to find a job in the UK...
A conversion course tends to be the more conventional route I think.
Original post by DefneCeren
I am an international student studying their final year in Warwick in HisPol. Which is better for me as an international student a second degree or getting a conversion course.I mean conversion is financially more wise but I am scared that I won't be able to find a job.Not to mention I am only 21 and it feels weird that my undergrad was only 3 years considering that I skipped foundation due to Warwick's language requirements. I am thinking of UCL or Kings for UG. I have heard it has been getting harder for international students to find a job in the UK...

Hi @DefneCeren!

I would definitely recommend a conversion course over a second law degree both for the sake of saving money and time! Around 50% of lawyers in the UK have done a different undergrad degree to law and then did a conversion. It is very uncommon to do a undergrad degree in one subject and then do a second undergrad degree in law as there is no need to with the conversion and I wouldn't say it gives you much of an advantage in any way. In terms of the conversion, if you want to make it a degree rather than simply a diploma you can choose to do it as an MA Law (conversion) at institutions such as ULaw so you will be doing a Masters qualification rather than just converting (although, in all honestly, employers don't seem to really mind whether it is done as a Master's or not). As a student currently on the BPC, having done a law conversion last year, I know many international students who did the conversion and are now either have a training contract or pupillage so I really wouldn't worry from that perspective.

Good luck and I hope this helped :smile:

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending