The Student Room Group

I feel I have had enough

Got a bad progress review result recently and blamed for problems that were caused by me.

It's literally due to neglect by supervisor + poor lab management that cost me lots of time. Set up to fail.

How could you have done enough work when your supervisor didn't give you enough work (everything needs safety assessment here, i.e. approval from supervisor) + labmates constantly occupied + misplaced equipment.

Comments from reviewers are literally a ton of victim-blaming h***e****.

Already had enough failures in my life + don't want more.
Have you guys ever had similar encounter?
Hi there,

I’ve never had this experience myself, but from my experience as a University administrator, I would advise you to seek a different supervisor if you can. You have good reasons to change supervisor, if you don’t feel they’re pulling their weight.

In terms of the lab management, I would suggest that you alert this to one of the administrators, as they may be able to guide you in the right direction as to who is best to inform. If your supervisor is in charge of the lab, it sounds to me like you should register an official complaint.

Saying that you’re unhappy that you feel your work is no longer being supervised to your expectations I feel is a good reason to change supervisor.

I hope this helps.

Siobhan x
Hi @MummyMum2019,

I'm sorry to hear you had negative feedback during your progress review, and that you've been having a tough time with your supervisor and lab team. I would second what @Siobhan79 has said and consider whether the current supervisor/supervisee relationship is working for you and, if it isn't, look at options for changing that.

If you haven't already, I would suggest meeting with your supervisor to discuss the progress review and to raise your concerns and grievances. When arranging the meeting, briefly outline the concerns and grievances that you have so that there is a written record of this.

I recognise this might feel like a very challenging thing to do but it is important to remember that the supervisor/supervisee relationship is, ideally, a collegiate one so it's important that you have the opportunity to raise concerns and query advice you've been given and that they have the opportunity to respond to and address those concerns and queries. Ultimately, both your and your supervisor should want the same thing which is for you to successfully complete your PhD.

That said, you don't have to attend that meeting - or even write the email requesting one - on your own. If you're concerned, consider asking a representative from the SU, a peer-rep in your department/faculty, or a student experience officer (usually part of Student Services) to attend (although do tell your supervisor that you'll be bringing a representative with you). At Keele, for example, we have a service in the SU called ASK which offers student advice and support on a range of issues and can assist students with raising any concerns and grievances they have.

Most universities also have formal policies and procedures in place for what to do if you are unhappy with the supervision you are receiving, so have a little look over those as they might point you in the direction of a staff contact whose job it is to address these concerns within your department/faculty. If you're not sure where to look, your departmental admin, SU, and Student Services should all be able to help.

There's several options for moving forward. It could be that you and your supervisor are currently operating at cross purposes: they might think they're giving you enough to do whereas you don't feel challenged, for example. In which case, arranging more regular supervision meetings and clearing up areas of miscommunication might resolve the problem. Or the situation could require further action, such as changing supervisors completely or bringing a second supervisor on board the project (personally, I think a second supervisor should be mandatory for PhDs anyway for just this reason).

There's also some good advice on navigating the supervisor/supervisee relationship at https://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2014/dec/29/phd-supervisor-university-research-tips-relationship-work, https://www.findaphd.com/guides/phd-supervisor-expectations, and https://thesiswhisperer.com/category/you-and-your-supervisor/. I also recommend the book 'Managing Your Mental Health During the PhD' by Zoe J Ayres, which has a great chapter on potential problems in the Supervisor-Supervisee relationship and tips on how to overcome those.

I hope you're able to find a way to resolve the issue and to get the support that you need.

Hope that helps :smile:

Amy Louise
PhD Candidate & Student Ambassador, Keele University
Original post by Keele Postgraduate
Hi @MummyMum2019,

I'm sorry to hear you had negative feedback during your progress review, and that you've been having a tough time with your supervisor and lab team. I would second what @Siobhan79 has said and consider whether the current supervisor/supervisee relationship is working for you and, if it isn't, look at options for changing that.

If you haven't already, I would suggest meeting with your supervisor to discuss the progress review and to raise your concerns and grievances. When arranging the meeting, briefly outline the concerns and grievances that you have so that there is a written record of this.

I recognise this might feel like a very challenging thing to do but it is important to remember that the supervisor/supervisee relationship is, ideally, a collegiate one so it's important that you have the opportunity to raise concerns and query advice you've been given and that they have the opportunity to respond to and address those concerns and queries. Ultimately, both your and your supervisor should want the same thing which is for you to successfully complete your PhD.

That said, you don't have to attend that meeting - or even write the email requesting one - on your own. If you're concerned, consider asking a representative from the SU, a peer-rep in your department/faculty, or a student experience officer (usually part of Student Services) to attend (although do tell your supervisor that you'll be bringing a representative with you). At Keele, for example, we have a service in the SU called ASK which offers student advice and support on a range of issues and can assist students with raising any concerns and grievances they have.

Most universities also have formal policies and procedures in place for what to do if you are unhappy with the supervision you are receiving, so have a little look over those as they might point you in the direction of a staff contact whose job it is to address these concerns within your department/faculty. If you're not sure where to look, your departmental admin, SU, and Student Services should all be able to help.

There's several options for moving forward. It could be that you and your supervisor are currently operating at cross purposes: they might think they're giving you enough to do whereas you don't feel challenged, for example. In which case, arranging more regular supervision meetings and clearing up areas of miscommunication might resolve the problem. Or the situation could require further action, such as changing supervisors completely or bringing a second supervisor on board the project (personally, I think a second supervisor should be mandatory for PhDs anyway for just this reason).

There's also some good advice on navigating the supervisor/supervisee relationship at https://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2014/dec/29/phd-supervisor-university-research-tips-relationship-work, https://www.findaphd.com/guides/phd-supervisor-expectations, and https://thesiswhisperer.com/category/you-and-your-supervisor/. I also recommend the book 'Managing Your Mental Health During the PhD' by Zoe J Ayres, which has a great chapter on potential problems in the Supervisor-Supervisee relationship and tips on how to overcome those.

I hope you're able to find a way to resolve the issue and to get the support that you need.

Hope that helps :smile:

Amy Louise
PhD Candidate & Student Ambassador, Keele University

He simply ignores my concern
Original post by MummyMum2019
He simply ignores my concern

Hi @MummyMum2019,

I am sorry to hear that. If that's the case, then I would escalate this above the level of your supervisor, and look into options for changing your supervisory team.

Your university should have a policy on how to raise a complaint about the supervisory support that you are receiving. This will usually be outlined in the student handbook. If you're not sure where that information is, your school administrator should be able to help.

Check to see what the procedure is and make sure you follow it to the letter. And remember that you can also seek support from a union rep.

Amy Louise
PhD Candidate & Student Ambassador, Keele University.
Original post by Keele Postgraduate
Hi @MummyMum2019,

I am sorry to hear that. If that's the case, then I would escalate this above the level of your supervisor, and look into options for changing your supervisory team.

Your university should have a policy on how to raise a complaint about the supervisory support that you are receiving. This will usually be outlined in the student handbook. If you're not sure where that information is, your school administrator should be able to help.

Check to see what the procedure is and make sure you follow it to the letter. And remember that you can also seek support from a union rep.

Amy Louise
PhD Candidate & Student Ambassador, Keele University.

I am in a two-year research program and this is already my final (half) year, so a change in supervisory team is not possible...I'll be talking to student union's folks to see how
I am in a two-year research program and this is already my final (half) year, so a change in supervisory team is not possible...I'll be talking to student union's folks to see how

Don't you have a mentor or something in the department? It sounds like the relationship between you and your supervisor has completely broken down.
Original post by Reality Check
Don't you have a mentor or something in the department? It sounds like the relationship between you and your supervisor has completely broken down.

The mentor is a friend of my supervisor, so I don't trust him.
Afraid of reporting anyone for fear of burning the bridges...literally having to wait out longer to see if it improves.
Afraid of reporting anyone for fear of burning the bridges...literally having to wait out longer to see if it improves.

There should be a chain of support that goes something like supervisor, mentor, research group PG tutor, departmental PG tutor, faculty PG tutor, Dean in charge of PG matters etc, have you worked out the local structure for your university?
Original post by Mr Wednesday
There should be a chain of support that goes something like supervisor, mentor, research group PG tutor, departmental PG tutor, faculty PG tutor, Dean in charge of PG matters etc, have you worked out the local structure for your university?

My counsellors advised me to talk to the department head, though I am hesitating for fear of burning the bridges.
Talked to the department head who asked me to meet with him, so see how it goes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending