The Student Room Group

Feel like I messed up..

So, I got a trial shift for kitchen work in a bar & pizza place. Seemed nice enough and the staff were very welcoming when I started.
This was my first ‘job’ if you will and so I was pretty nervous about it.
Anyway, the work I was told to do was easy enough, food prep, cleaning and stuff like that.

However, I messed up quite a few times, I don’t what it is with me but it’s like I have no common sense, and can’t follow instructions well - even though it sounds easy it’s like I get overwhelmed. And I didn’t dice the food prep stuff right, I had no idea where any of the utensils were in the kitchen and I kept having to ask my boss exactly what to do - as I kept doing the wrong thing, I just wanted to put out a good impression.
But I feel like I looked inadequate and unprepared.

Anyway, I was offered the job at the end of the trial but I can’t help but feel like it was just a pity offer, like they felt sorry for me. For context this is my first time in a work environment, but I just feel like I messed up real bad.

Anyone had similar experiences?
Original post by Cpt.S3929
So, I got a trial shift for kitchen work in a bar & pizza place. Seemed nice enough and the staff were very welcoming when I started.
This was my first ‘job’ if you will and so I was pretty nervous about it.
Anyway, the work I was told to do was easy enough, food prep, cleaning and stuff like that.

However, I messed up quite a few times, I don’t what it is with me but it’s like I have no common sense, and can’t follow instructions well - even though it sounds easy it’s like I get overwhelmed. And I didn’t dice the food prep stuff right, I had no idea where any of the utensils were in the kitchen and I kept having to ask my boss exactly what to do - as I kept doing the wrong thing, I just wanted to put out a good impression.
But I feel like I looked inadequate and unprepared.

Anyway, I was offered the job at the end of the trial but I can’t help but feel like it was just a pity offer, like they felt sorry for me. For context this is my first time in a work environment, but I just feel like I messed up real bad.

Anyone had similar experiences?

If you were useless there's no way you would have been asked back. Businesses don't work that way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending