The Student Room Group

(URGENT) pharamcy

Hi,

i redone my exams in march 2020, because my predicted grades were low , i retook and got a BB in bio and chem , 1 mark away from A in Bio and 4 marks from in chem, and i got a C in psychology , i took a long break and now want to do pharmacy ; ive missed the deadline. Can i possibly go through clearing with these grades without doing any foundation year course?

please help asap
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Pharmacy may be available in Clearing at Unis asking for lower grades.
And as MPharm is an accredited course with a set syllabus it doesnt matter which Uni you go to.

Contact Unis like Lincoln, Kingston, LJMU, Huddersfield and Brighton now - they may be still accepting late applications so you wouldn't have to wait for Clearing.
Original post by Antimatter123
Hi,

i redone my exams in march 2020, because my predicted grades were low , i retook and got a BB in bio and chem , 1 mark away from A in Bio and 4 marks from in chem, and i got a C in psychology , i took a long break and now want to do pharmacy ; ive missed the deadline. Can i possibly go through clearing with these grades without doing any foundation year course?

please help asap

Thank you @McGinger for the mention!

Hi @Antimatter123,

If your heart is set on an MPharm, you can still do that, but it would require a foundation year like you mentioned. The route would be to study our Science Extended Degree: https://courses.hud.ac.uk/full-time/undergraduate/science-extended-degree-leading-to-a-bsc-hons-degree and then progress on to the MPharm (4 year course). However progression onto Pharmacy is dependent on meeting stringent performance levels in the Science Extended Degree. You must pass all modules with an overall pass mark of at least 70%. Plus at least 70% in the Chemistry module and 70% in the Maths and Physics module. You must also successfully undertake an interview with the Pharmacy admissions staff.

In terms of other routes, please find information on the Gov.uk website about alternate routes to becoming a qualified pharmacist: https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/pharmacist

Best wishes,
UoH
Original post by McGinger
Pharmacy may be available in Clearing at Unis asking for lower grades.
And as MPharm is an accredited course with a set syllabus it doesnt matter which Uni you go to.

Contact Unis like Lincoln, Kingston, LJMU, Huddersfield and Brighton now - they may be still accepting late applications so you wouldn't have to wait for Clearing.

I contacted Kingston , they are accepting late applications , but since my grades are slightly lower they wouldn’t consider it , I can possibly get my biology marked as am 1 mark away that would mean I would then meat the requirements . Or should I opt for clearing as historically they have spaces open for clearing
I contacted Kingston , they are accepting late applications , but since my grades are slightly lower they wouldn’t consider it , I can possibly get my biology marked as am 1 mark away that would mean I would then meat the requirements . Or should I opt for clearing as historically they have spaces open for clearing

Have you checked with your exam centre/college/school about the remark? I thought there was a deadline for submitting a remark request.
Hi,

please help asap

Hi @Antimatter123

We've just spoke to our Pharmaceutical Studies Team and some years the Pharmacy MPharm does go into Clearing but this is dependant on if we have any places left on the course. We are unable to release that information until a date set by UCAS. If you are looking to study an MPharm and don't want to do a foundation year your option would be to chance clearing. This does come with a lot of uncertainty and potentially a lot of follow up stress with sorting accommodation with 1 months notice etc but could be your best option if like you say you don't want to do a foundation year..

We really do hope you consider us as an option when it comes to clearing. Clearing opens on 5 July and this is the date where universities can place their remaining course numbers- this is earlier than results day so you could have an advantage. If you want to know more about us, check out our pages about clearing: https://www.hud.ac.uk/clearing/ and check out out UCAS' info about when clearing opens: https://www.ucas.com/events/2023-entry-clearing-opens-413116

Best wishes,
UoH
Reply 7
Don't know if this helps but I had a friend to go through clearing for pharmacy for the university of Hertfordshire with no foundation year attached. Don't know if it will be the same as this year seems to have higher competition. Goodluck lmk how it goes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending