The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
There are a lot of very good debaters on here. If I recall correctly, there is only one debater award. It would be nice to have one or two more.

Some possible suggestions for different debater awards:

most articulate debater

best-informed debater

most intransigent debater :biggrin: (too negative perhaps)

most balanced debater

most persuasive debater

most convincing debater

most open-minded debater

most passionate debater

debater who insults others the least (jokes):wink:...perhaps 'most respectful debater' or even 'best-mannered debater' or 'politest debater'. I would personally like to see something along these lines included as I have seen people be insulting, rude or nasty when debating on here.
Edit: am now thinking of times when I was less than polite and glass houses etc.:smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Cote1
There are a lot of very good debaters on here. If I recall correctly, there is only one debater award. It would be nice to have one or two more.

Some possible suggestions for different debater awards:

most articulate debater

best-informed debater

most intransigent debater :biggrin: (too negative perhaps)

most balanced debater

most persuasive debater

most convincing debater

most open-minded debater

most passionate debater

debater who insults others the least (jokes):wink:...perhaps 'most respectful debater' or even 'best-mannered debater' or 'politest debater'

Are there any awards you'd get rid of to make space for these? Or would you want to inflate the number of categories?
Reply 22
Original post by 04MR17
Are there any awards you'd get rid of to make space for these? Or would you want to inflate the number of categories?

If there is just one debater award (was there?) could maybe just have 3 or so debater awards rather than 1?
I hadn't thought of getting rid of any as I can't remember what they all are, I'm afraid.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Cote1
If there is just one debater award (was there?) could maybe just have 3 or so debater awards rather than 1?
I hadn't thought of getting rid of any as I can't remember what they all are, I'm afraid.

Yeah because "best" Debater could be interpreted as your ability to debate well (come up with good arguments) or your ability to conduct yourself well in a debate (no name-calling, non-constructive comments, no question dodging, no playing hard to get/no trolling, respecting the other person's opinion without making fun of it etc) in my opinion.

Would be nice to have some clarity as to what "best debater" actually means for this reason. There might be users who can't necessarily come up with good arguments but can conduct themselves respectfully in a debate, likewise there could be some users who have good arguments but aren't always/aren't able to conduct themselves respectfully in a debate (i.e they name-call, laugh at someone's argument, might be non-constructive at times etc).
Reply 24
Original post by Talkative Toad
Yeah because "best" Debater could be interpreted as your ability to debate well (come up with good arguments) or your ability to conduct yourself well in a debate (no name-calling, non-constructive comments, no question dodging, no playing hard to get/no trolling, respecting the other person's opinion without making fun of it etc) in my opinion.

Would be nice to have some clarity as to what "best debater" actually means for this reason. There might be users who can't necessarily come up with good arguments but can conduct themselves respectfully in a debate, likewise there could be some users who have good arguments but aren't always/aren't able to conduct themselves respectfully in a debate (i.e they name-call, laugh at someone's argument, might be non-constructive at times etc).

Thanks - that is exactly what I meant and didn't articulate.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Bring back Sports Commentator, Top Techie and Motoring Master :shakecane: Maybe add Bookworm, Film Critic, Pro Gamer and Music Maestro while you're at it. :awesome:

Absolutely not biased in any way. :noway:

Don't forget the international member of the year. That is so discriminating for me,
@the beaɾ and any other foreign and non British members here! This poll needs to come back.
i think more than one vote when there are 5 or more nominations would be fairer - or a 1,2,3 with three points to first, two points to second and one point to third. It's often marginal who is 'best' and I think this would capture a wider range of views.
Personally I couldn't see the point aboit restricting some categories to threads started in 2022 when others weren't. No thread should have been restricted like this.
Original post by the bear
Yes, a Lifetime Achievement award would be just what i want a lovely way to show our appreciation for people who need to get out more those who have dedicated their lives to TSR.
Maybe a special area of pavement in Brighton could be turned into a TSR Walk of Fame with stars or footprints and that.

:flute:

A lifetime award is a good idea, but not really for the community awards. Maybe it might be a separated award for special people with great contributions.
Original post by Muttley79
i think more than one vote when there are 5 or more nominations would be fairer - or a 1,2,3 with three points to first, two points to second and one point to third. It's often marginal who is 'best' and I think this would capture a wider range of views.
Personally I couldn't see the point aboit restricting some categories to threads started in 2022 when others weren't. No thread should have been restricted like this.

The year restrictions weren't clearly defined either, for me at least - I saw that some were limited to 2022, so assumed that was the case for all of them, and was surprised to see older threads in the blog category once the polls came out.
Original post by 04MR17

Didn't we used to have 'Most Controversial User' a few years ago? And also 'Member who speaks the most sense'? Why were these got rid of, particularly the former*

*I'm guessing it wasn't cuddly enough, and we don't want to draw attention to users who could be considered 'controversial', given the possibility that controversial=a pain in the arse. Amirite?
Original post by Reality Check
Didn't we used to have 'Most Controversial User' a few years ago? And also 'Member who speaks the most sense'? Why were these got rid of, particularly the former*

*I'm guessing it wasn't cuddly enough, and we don't want to draw attention to users who could be considered 'controversial', given the possibility that controversial=a pain in the arse. Amirite?
This was a community staff decision several years ago now. :smile:
Original post by 04MR17
This was a community staff decision several years ago now. :smile:

Thanks - I knew you'd know :smile:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
The year restrictions weren't clearly defined either, for me at least - I saw that some were limited to 2022, so assumed that was the case for all of them, and was surprised to see older threads in the blog category once the polls came out.

Yeah, it made no sense to restrict the years for all types of threads but not blogs. Should have had restrictions for all or neither.

Is there any reason why blogs were exempt from the year restrictions but not other thread related stuff (best content creator, most helpful thread etc)? @04MR17
(edited 1 year ago)
I also feel it's a shame there were some 2022-started thread restrictions. I can see why this may have been done, but it did mean that MHSS couldn't be nominated for most helpful thread. Granted, it's not the lively thread it used to be but it can be an important venting place - even lifeline - for those who use it :redface:
Perhaps, there should be two types of awards: restricted and non-restricted.
I don’t think it’s fair that we keep it entirely non-restricted because I imagine the same threads will be nominated year after year.
It’s also not fair we keep it restricted for the reasons TLG pointed out.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by 5hyl33n
I don’t think it’s fair that we keep it entirely non-restricted because I imagine the same threads will be nominated year after year.

This sounds like a good compromise for next year, to me at least :h:
Original post by Talkative Toad
Is there any reason why blogs were exempt from the year restrictions but not other thread related stuff (best content creator, most helpful thread etc)? @04MR17
Yes, this was discussed between those who ran this project. Because this thread is only for collating feedback for next time, not debating what should have happened this year I'm not going to go into all of these reasons now. The point about year restrictions has been mentioned several times here and has been thoroughly noted
(edited 1 year ago)
Just to chip in on that, I thought it made sense not to restrict blogs because some blogs could have good content this year, but have been curated over several. Would a restriction thus be counter productive? I think it might. So for me, the suggestion for next year might be to keep year restrictions where appropriate. For some blogs, it is not appropriate to date restrict their inclusion.
Original post by 04MR17
Yes, this was discussed between those who ran this project. Because this thread is only for collating feedback for next time, not debating what should have happened this year. The point about year restrictions has been mentioned several times here and has been thoroughly noted

ok thanks..
Original post by 5hyl33n

Can you explain the difference between non-restricted and restricted, please? I don't get what your point exactly is. Thanks!

Latest

Trending

Trending