The Student Room Group

BurstingBubbles - Life and Wellbeing Blog

Welcome to my Life and Wellbeing Blog :biggrin:

I'm hoping to update relatively often about life and wellbeing in general :yep:

A couple of the main things I want to change going forward (not just for 2023 but beyond this year too):

- Slowing down a bit (2022 was really busy which was great fun but it was pretty exhausting and I ended up ill for most of December). I often have plans most week days and weekends and I need more time to relax :yep:
- Saying no more and being a bit more selfish - I often want to help, do lots of volunteering etc. I'm going to step back a bit and reduce this to allow myself more down time and time for myself. I'll still be helping and volunteering but hopefully getting the right balance.

We'll see how these two go, and I may add in some more if I feel it's manageable :smile:

Scroll to see replies

You are doing an amazing job.

Can never fault you with anything :smile:
Posting to subscribe! :penguinhug:
Original post by JVM2020
You are doing an amazing job.

Can never fault you with anything :smile:

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Posting to subscribe! :penguinhug:

PRSOM!
Okay, so with the goal of saying no more often/being a bit more selfish - I've politely said no to something volunteering asked of me (which someone else can do instead) as it would take another of my evenings up. I've also said I'm not helping out next week so I can have more evenings after work to be able to chill rather than most of my evenings being busy. I wouldn't do this if it meant that the event couldn't go ahead, but I know that they have enough helpers so I'm taking some more time for myself.

Also starting to reduce general plans with family and friends a bit e.g. instead of weekly plans to see people, moving more towards fortnightly - again so not all of my evenings are filled with plans. This weekend we're busy on Saturday seeing friends and then family but Sunday is completely free to relax (and get some house jobs done, boo, but they need doing).

Going to see how long I can keep this up. Thinning out how many plans we have in a week is already helping me to feel more relaxed and perhaps a bit less tired :tongue:
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Okay, so with the goal of saying no more often/being a bit more selfish - I've politely said no to something volunteering asked of me (which someone else can do instead) as it would take another of my evenings up. I've also said I'm not helping out next week so I can have more evenings after work to be able to chill rather than most of my evenings being busy. I wouldn't do this if it meant that the event couldn't go ahead, but I know that they have enough helpers so I'm taking some more time for myself.

Also starting to reduce general plans with family and friends a bit e.g. instead of weekly plans to see people, moving more towards fortnightly - again so not all of my evenings are filled with plans. This weekend we're busy on Saturday seeing friends and then family but Sunday is completely free to relax (and get some house jobs done, boo, but they need doing).

Going to see how long I can keep this up. Thinning out how many plans we have in a week is already helping me to feel more relaxed and perhaps a bit less tired :tongue:

Great work and we're barely into 2023! Proud of you, it's not always easy saying no. Maybe I need to take a leaf out of your book, it's something I struggle with too :redface:
So far, still so good :smile:

Still saying no to things where needed/wanted. I'm still pretty busy but a nicer mix of busy and chill time. Making Sundays a rest/jobs around the house sort of day has been working well. Still got plenty of plans on during the week and on one day of the weekend, but overall having more relaxed evenings during the week too.

I've been trying hard to go to bed a bit earlier, and get up at a similar time most days even if I don't need to be up quite as easy on some days (I've had lie ins on Saturday and Sunday which has been nice, but not too late so I don't feel as groggy). I've also cut my caffeine intake a bit, so I'm generally having one coffee in the morning and the rest (1 or 2 other cups) are decaff. I sometimes have a tea that's caffeinated later on if I need. Also trying to eat more fruit and veg where possible. Overall I feel that my energy levels are increasing and I'm sleeping better so I'll try and keep these changes going :yep:
Well done Bubbles - it's so hard to say no, but it sounds great that you're prioritising balance in your life :smile:
Wow lots of very positive changes! Pleased for you :h:
Original post by StrawberryDreams
Well done Bubbles - it's so hard to say no, but it sounds great that you're prioritising balance in your life :smile:

PRSOM. Thank you :biggrin:
Wow lots of very positive changes! Pleased for you :h:

Thank you :hugs:
I've been feeling a bit more anxious this last week or so :redface: I'm still doing my best to relax where I can, but my brain doesn't often let me relax that much when I know I have stuff to do, even just the basic jobs around the house and stuff. Generally I'm still trying to have one weekend day that's less busy, although it's not always possible. Still proud of myself for saying no more.

In more positive news, my wife and I have booked to go to Japan in May, so that's exciting! We'd been wanting to go for quite a few years but of course then covid happened (thankfully we hadn't booked anything!) and Japan have only quite recently opened their boarders back to al tourists. Got a few other nice plans coming up too, but Japan will definitely be our main trip of the year! :yep:
Oooh Japan :gah:

Sorry to hear you've been feeling more anxious :console: Hope you are able to feel less anxious somehow this week :redface:
Sorry to hear you are feeling anxious.

Praying for you. Hope you recover soon. We are always here to chat.
Japan's a cool trip! Glad you've got some dates nailed down. Good luck with the relaxing too, switching the brain to "chill out" mode is definitely a skill :redface:
A bit less anxious overall this week, but that sort of underlying anxious feeling is still quite loud (more so than normal). Trying to be kind to myself where possible and rest or do things that I enjoy. I think work being busy and quite stressful is probably the main cause of it, but there's not much I can do about that so I've just got to make small adaptions elsewhere :yes:

Oooh Japan :gah:

Sorry to hear you've been feeling more anxious :console: Hope you are able to feel less anxious somehow this week :redface:

Original post by JVM2020
Sorry to hear you are feeling anxious.

Praying for you. Hope you recover soon. We are always here to chat.

Original post by 64Lightbulbs
Japan's a cool trip! Glad you've got some dates nailed down. Good luck with the relaxing too, switching the brain to "chill out" mode is definitely a skill :redface:

Thank you all, it means a lot :heart:
I enjoyed a week of leave last week, great to have more time (and energy) to catch up with friends and family. Also had time to catch up on some jobs around the house, but most importantly some time to try and relax (I'm still working on getting better at this :tongue:). Been more anxious again the last day or two but probably around going back to work :redface: this week around work I'm trying not to do too much, having more time to relax in the evenings. This weekend we're having a party at our house with a load of my old school friends so I'm looking forward to that :smile:
So I've got covid again :sick: when I say again, it was just over a year ago now to be fair. Although I'm not feeling great it feels a bit milder than last time at least!

Overall my mood and energy (before having covid again) is feeling a bit better with the longer daylight time and slightly warmer weather. Still factoring in more rest and relaxation time e.g. not 'filling up' weekends as much which has been good :smile: but still doing plenty of things that I enjoy like seeing friends. Work has been pretty busy and stressful, but just trying to remember I can only do what I can!
Oh no! Sending healthy healing vibes and penguin hugs to you, from me and Persephone! :penguinhug:

Hope you feel much better and soon :redface:
Oh no! Sending healthy healing vibes and penguin hugs to you, from me and Persephone! :penguinhug:

Hope you feel much better and soon :redface:

Thank you! I'm starting to feel quite a lot better, but still resting plenty. Still very much testing positive on lateral flows so think I'll be isolating a little while longer yet (for work I need to have two neg tests in a row before day 10 to go back to in person work, I'll work from home until then). But enjoying a nice chilled weekend :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending