The Student Room Group

GCSE triple science

Hi, I'm a GCSE student who moved up to triple science in year 11, I was doing combined last year in year 10 and i got good grades that made me move up to triple. However, I feel like I am not doing well in triple science, even if I understand the content, I'm not sure why. I don't know if i should stay in triple or do combined higher? Any advice could help!!! Also, what methods could help me boost a 6/7 into 8/9? for the real GCSE exams?
what is it that is making you feel like you are not doing well in triple science? what sorts of grades are you getting?
Original post by jiungie
Hi, I'm a GCSE student who moved up to triple science in year 11, I was doing combined last year in year 10 and i got good grades that made me move up to triple. However, I feel like I am not doing well in triple science, even if I understand the content, I'm not sure why. I don't know if i should stay in triple or do combined higher? Any advice could help!!! Also, what methods could help me boost a 6/7 into 8/9? for the real GCSE exams?

what i recommend is cognito, its great.
also, i recommend that u should do pmt past papers and their topics because then you can learn how to apply to the question, like extra knowledge, especially in gcse Bio
youve been doing triple this whole time since yr 11, so I dont think it's worth moving to combined science
Reply 3
Original post by flowersinmyhair
what is it that is making you feel like you are not doing well in triple science? what sorts of grades are you getting?

Overall, I just feel like my grades aren't good compared to other people in my class, which is why I feel like I am not doing so good. In the December mocks, i got 6's and my teacher said i should move to combined higher instead. I've done the March mocks recently and I have seen improvements in terms of answering the questions more confidently (I have not got my grades just yet).
Reply 4
Original post by nareony
what i recommend is cognito, its great.
also, i recommend that u should do pmt past papers and their topics because then you can learn how to apply to the question, like extra knowledge, especially in gcse Bio
youve been doing triple this whole time since yr 11, so I dont think it's worth moving to combined science

I do use cognito and physicsandmathstutor, I just need to work on doing past papers.
Thanks!!
Original post by jiungie
Overall, I just feel like my grades aren't good compared to other people in my class, which is why I feel like I am not doing so good. In the December mocks, i got 6's and my teacher said i should move to combined higher instead. I've done the March mocks recently and I have seen improvements in terms of answering the questions more confidently (I have not got my grades just yet).

don't compare yourself to others, a 6 is a good grade and if you are planning on doing a science at A-level you would be able to get on most A-level courses with those grades. why do you think you are getting lower grades in triple?
Original post by jiungie
I do use cognito and physicsandmathstutor, I just need to work on doing past papers.
Thanks!!

no problem :smile: same i need to do past papers, theyre great too . Good luck for gcses !!
Reply 7
Original post by flowersinmyhair
don't compare yourself to others, a 6 is a good grade and if you are planning on doing a science at A-level you would be able to get on most A-level courses with those grades. why do you think you are getting lower grades in triple?

To be honest, a 6 for me isn't really great, i would be happy to get a 7 or 8. I think it's because I tend to leave my revision last minute (I had lots of hw a couple of weeks before mocks so it was challenging, balancing out the hw and mocks), another thing is the lack of past papers. I try to do them but I need to first understand the content and then complete the past papers if I can.
Reply 8
Original post by nareony
no problem :smile: same i need to do past papers, theyre great too . Good luck for gcses !!

Yup. Good luck to you too!!!
Original post by jiungie
To be honest, a 6 for me isn't really great, i would be happy to get a 7 or 8. I think it's because I tend to leave my revision last minute (I had lots of hw a couple of weeks before mocks so it was challenging, balancing out the hw and mocks), another thing is the lack of past papers. I try to do them but I need to first understand the content and then complete the past papers if I can.

I am literally the same . If you start now ( ive started using the spec and going thru topics) then im sure u will get an 8. Im getting 8s from using cognito alone too . But past papers are the best
Reply 10
Original post by nareony
I am literally the same . If you start now ( ive started using the spec and going thru topics) then im sure u will get an 8. Im getting 8s from using cognito alone too . But past papers are the best

I have always used the specification for my subjects, I need to enforce past papers into my revision. I love using cognito, the videos are useful and you can do questions as well as exam past papers on there. All 8's for all the science subjects??? I am struggling with physics the most out of all science subjects, I need to practise more.
Original post by jiungie

You will feel better when you stop comparing yourself with the others because different people have different talents and especially when you start later than the others at the same time. you are doing great!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending