The Student Room Group

Learning Islam

Hello!

I am Female 18 and leaving for uni this year, I am interested in learning Islam as my friends are Muslim and I want to learn more about it. I am interested in the religion and the culture but struggling learning about it, any advice?

Also with Ramadan coming up I want to fast but my parents are not supportive at all and would not agree and they make my dinner so it’s not like I could avoid not eating when home. I don’t know what to do as I feel guilty if I eat during Ramadan and my friends said to practice praying or reading the Qur’an but I feel guilty to not fast but then pray. Does that make sense? How can I feel better about this? Any advice is much appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Lucinda313
Hello!

I am Female 18 and leaving for uni this year, I am interested in learning Islam as my friends are Muslim and I want to learn more about it. I am interested in the religion and the culture but struggling learning about it, any advice?

Also with Ramadan coming up I want to fast but my parents are not supportive at all and would not agree and they make my dinner so it’s not like I could avoid not eating when home. I don’t know what to do as I feel guilty if I eat during Ramadan and my friends said to practice praying or reading the Qur’an but I feel guilty to not fast but then pray. Does that make sense? How can I feel better about this? Any advice is much appreciated.

Read the Quran. If anything isn't entirely clear, consult a classical tafsir like Ibn Kathir, (https://www.alim.org/quran/tafsir/ibn-kathir/surah/1/0/) and the sunnah (https://sunnah.com/). There are also qualified scholars online who answer specific questions - this one is one of the most widely used resources on the web (https://islamqa.info/en).

Those will give you all the guidance you need. Many people have learned a distorted version of Islam from people with an agenda and they might be misinforming you. Always go directly to the source material.
Reply 2
Original post by WADR
Read the Quran. If anything isn't entirely clear, consult a classical tafsir like Ibn Kathir, (https://www.alim.org/quran/tafsir/ibn-kathir/surah/1/0/) and the sunnah (https://sunnah.com/). There are also qualified scholars online who answer specific questions - this one is one of the most widely used resources on the web (https://islamqa.info/en).

Those will give you all the guidance you need. Many people have learned a distorted version of Islam from people with an agenda and they might be misinforming you. Always go directly to the source material.

Thank you
I thought I read 'Leaving Islam'. I definitely need to go to Specsavers again.
What's your background?

parents English?
Please familiarise yourself with authentic Islam - please YouTube reliable scholars such as Shaykh Abdal Hakim Murad and Shaykh Hamza Yusuf - both of whom reverted to Islam
(edited 1 year ago)
Please familiarise yourself with authentic Islam - please YouTube reliable scholars such as Shaykh Abdal Hakim Murad and Shaykh Hamza Yusuf
Hi!

I recommend you watch videos on islam to familiarise yourself but make sure they're trusted people so that you get the true image of islam, dr zakir naik is a good one to watch as his vids are interesting.

I'd say read the quran in english to understand its meaning, there are books (and probably websites) that have the actual meaning of each verse text to the arabic and the english translation (i say actual meaning as sometimes interpreting the english translation can be hard without prior knowledge/context) and this can help you get an idea of it

you could buy/look at childrens' books etc about islam as they're to the point and simplified, a good way to start

Also look into prophet stories and such, they are really interesting!

Also one of my favs, watch videos/do research about 'the miracles of the quran' its so fascinating how everything is backed up by science/logic

You can always pm me if you have any questions, my friends are aalimahs (they have studied islam for a long time) 😊
Hello!

Reply 8
Hello!

Hey!
I totally understand your worries- but don't feel pressured to jump right into it!
Do your research into Islam, listen to podcasts, prayers and the Qur'an especially. If you have any worries or concerns, find the islamic point of view for them- this is what I do and listening to people speak about any problems/questions I'm having, from an Islamic point of view is honestly so relieving. You will be so surprised to see how Islam has reasons and meaning behind so many situations in life.
Don't feel guilty because Allah knows your intention! A massive part of Islam is about your intention and the way you intend to do something- so if you are only able to practice some parts of the faith or need a slow introduction into it, just speak with Allah about your problems and pray he makes it easier for you. Remember, when you take one step toward Allah, he will take 10 steps toward you.
Reply 9
Hello!

Hey!

Hope you’re doing well. Please update me!! Have you managed to keep any fasts?Also, it makes me happy that people are learning the true beauty of Islam and not what just the media portrays it out to be. But regardless, what matters more is the connection you have with Islam. I wish you nothing but the best in your journey, hope it all goes well :smile:
Reply 10
Hello!

How are things going?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending