The Student Room Group

Aalimah or hifdh?

Asalamu'alaykum wa rahmatul laahi wa barakahtu

I'm not sure if I should do hifdh first then aalimah or do aalimah then hifdh?

Questions for those who are a hafizah/hafiz:

1.) What age did you start and how long did it take you?
2.) How many pages a day did you memories?
3.) What is one challenge you went through; how did you overcome it?
4.) Favourite surah and why?
answering your numbered questions and then the baseline one ! !

1. i started at 12-13, and i believe it took me two and a half to three years !

2. started on just one in those single juz, large font type of Quran, gradually increased to 3 pages of standard 30-juz Quran with smaller print .

3. revision ! memorizing is easy, the revising and revisiting part is a whole different story . i didn't actually overcome it . . . it's really important to always revisit, revise and touch up regularly !

4. surah Kahf ! there's many reasons i'm drawn to it, really ! it's a constant surah in my life because i read it every friday, and i love listening to its tilawat (recitation) too . the four different points drawn up in the surah are very interesting, and the meaning of the surah in it's entirety really sticks out to me . part of my favouritism to it can't be explained . . . i'm just drawn to it, and very strongly ! aside from that, surah mulk is one of my favourites because it was my favourite to memorize in the 29th juz :smile: !

back to your original question ! to go on an 3limah course means to study Islamic jurisprudence, right ? and be knowledgable on various Islamic topics and essentially become an Islamic scholar ? if that meaning serves right, then i'd definitely say to do hifdh first . these Islamic laws and beliefs will be drawn out largely from the Quran itself ! think of it like how highschool progresses : you generally don't start strictly studying for a GCSE until year 9 ! in years 7 and 8, you're developing baseline understandings of topics you'll later expand and build on in year 9 ! i believe it's the same here, too : having a strong background in the Quran will really help you in your 3limah course ! the course couldn't even exist without the words of the Quran to give it a foundation .

but with saying that, there's a difference between memorizing the Quran vs. understanding it ! there is no way anyone can discredit the rewards of memorizing the Quran, but to understand it and implement it is equally as important; especially considering you want to do an 3limah course ! so do keep that in mind when making your ultimate decision, too !

tldr : first do hifdh and understand what the Quran is trying to teach you, then go on to do the 3limah course that will branch out from what you've understood from the Quran !
Original post by justalittlesilly
answering your numbered questions and then the baseline one ! !

1. i started at 12-13, and i believe it took me two and a half to three years !

2. started on just one in those single juz, large font type of Quran, gradually increased to 3 pages of standard 30-juz Quran with smaller print .

3. revision ! memorizing is easy, the revising and revisiting part is a whole different story . i didn't actually overcome it . . . it's really important to always revisit, revise and touch up regularly !

4. surah Kahf ! there's many reasons i'm drawn to it, really ! it's a constant surah in my life because i read it every friday, and i love listening to its tilawat (recitation) too . the four different points drawn up in the surah are very interesting, and the meaning of the surah in it's entirety really sticks out to me . part of my favouritism to it can't be explained . . . i'm just drawn to it, and very strongly ! aside from that, surah mulk is one of my favourites because it was my favourite to memorize in the 29th juz :smile: !

back to your original question ! to go on an 3limah course means to study Islamic jurisprudence, right ? and be knowledgable on various Islamic topics and essentially become an Islamic scholar ? if that meaning serves right, then i'd definitely say to do hifdh first . these Islamic laws and beliefs will be drawn out largely from the Quran itself ! think of it like how highschool progresses : you generally don't start strictly studying for a GCSE until year 9 ! in years 7 and 8, you're developing baseline understandings of topics you'll later expand and build on in year 9 ! i believe it's the same here, too : having a strong background in the Quran will really help you in your 3limah course ! the course couldn't even exist without the words of the Quran to give it a foundation .

but with saying that, there's a difference between memorizing the Quran vs. understanding it ! there is no way anyone can discredit the rewards of memorizing the Quran, but to understand it and implement it is equally as important; especially considering you want to do an 3limah course ! so do keep that in mind when making your ultimate decision, too !

tldr : first do hifdh and understand what the Quran is trying to teach you, then go on to do the 3limah course that will branch out from what you've understood from the Quran !

Litterally you have helped me so so much, jzakillah khair ukhti/akhi - may you be reward with so much success, khair and baraqah ameen (:

I'm just a little scared as I am turning 17 soon and don't really know alot of sisters who have done hifdh's; thinking I'm starting too late and I won't be able to complete it in time. But In'Sha'Allah what ever our lord has willed to happen

Alhamdulliah I know the last last 15 surahs first ruku/12 lines of surah kahf and last ruku just about, some yaseen and I think a few ayat of other surahs that are like random ie: surah ghafir - wa qala firauno zarooni.....I really do want to memorize mulk and when reading the quraan be able to understand what I'm reading it will change my perspective In'Sha'Allah - imagine that bond, subhanallah
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
i know people who did hifz at 20 or so years old. its never late to start i wish u the best of luck!
Reply 4
Original post by tandoori potatoe
Asalamu'alaykum wa rahmatul laahi wa barakahtu

I'm not sure if I should do hifdh first then aalimah or do aalimah then hifdh?

Questions for those who are a hafizah/hafiz:

1.) What age did you start and how long did it take you?
2.) How many pages a day did you memories?
3.) What is one challenge you went through; how did you overcome it?
4.) Favourite surah and why?

wa 'alaykum as-salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuhu,

You should prioritise learning the knowledge essential for every Muslim such as 'Aqeedah and basic Fiqh in issues such as purification, salaah, fasting, women's rulings and so on. If you then mean between voluntary knowledge or memorising the Qur'aan, then definitely memorise the Qur'aan as it is the foundation of Islamic knowledge. May Allaah make it easy for you.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by siocrystal
i know people who did hifz at 20 or so years old. its never late to start i wish u the best of luck!

Jzakillah khair ukhti
Original post by I7V
wa 'alaykum as-salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuhu,

You should prioritise learning the knowledge essential for every Muslim such as 'Aqeedah and basic Fiqh in issues such as purification, salaah, fasting, women's rulings and so on. If you then mean between voluntary knowledge or memorising the Qur'aan, then definitely memorise the Qur'aan as it is the foundation of Islamic knowledge. May Allaah make it easy for you.

yes I currently still attend madrassah and alhamdulliah we learn hadith, basic islamic knowledge, duas etc. Jzakillahu khairan for your kind words and advice, ameen - In'Sha'Allah (:
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 7
yes I currently still attend madrassah and alhamdulliah we learn hadith, basic islamic knowledge, duas etc. Jzakillahu khairan for your kind words and advice, ameen - In'Sha'Allah (:

May Allah reward you. I just wanted to point our that it isn't proper to say in shaa' Allaah when making du'aa or saying aameen as Anas ibn Malik reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said (meaning), “When one of you calls upon Allah, let him be determined in the supplication and he should not say, ‘O Allah, give me if You will,’ for there is no one to coerce Allah.” [Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī 6338, Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim 2678]
Reply 8
Memorisation in of itself is pointless without action - it is better to gain applicable knowledge rather than memorise the Quran in Arabicif it's not your first language.i have spoken to people who memorised many Juz but knew little and they had doubts about Islam but others who had memorised little but learnt AND reflected and thought more so they were spiritually strong
Original post by I7V
May Allah reward you. I just wanted to point our that it isn't proper to say in shaa' Allaah when making du'aa or saying aameen as Anas ibn Malik reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said (meaning), “When one of you calls upon Allah, let him be determined in the supplication and he should not say, ‘O Allah, give me if You will,’ for there is no one to coerce Allah.” [Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī 6338, Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim 2678]

Ouhh i see - thank you soo much for educating me, jzakillah khair
Litterally you have helped me so so much, jzakillah khair ukhti/akhi - may you be reward with so much success, khair and baraqah ameen (:

I'm just a little scared as I am turning 17 soon and don't really know alot of sisters who have done hifdh's; thinking I'm starting too late and I won't be able to complete it in time. But In'Sha'Allah what ever our lord has willed to happen

Alhamdulliah I know the last last 15 surahs first ruku/12 lines of surah kahf and last ruku just about, some yaseen and I think a few ayat of other surahs that are like random ie: surah ghafir - wa qala firauno zarooni.....I really do want to memorize mulk and when reading the quraan be able to understand what I'm reading it will change my perspective In'Sha'Allah - imagine that bond, subhanallah

ameen ameen ! you are very welcome (: (thanks for showing me that smiley trick, really hate that emoji LOL)

anyways, i am a sister who's done hifdh ((: ! 17 is never too late as someone else mentioned . . . and i'd like to add on, there should be no fear of not completing it in time - do you know when you'll die ? your death could be written for tomorrow, only Allah knows ! focus more of your energy on doing the task and working in the present . every ayah you learn and memorize is a milestone of it's own in my eyes (: ! i hope you understand the message i'm trying to send, haha .

may Allah make your journey easy for you sister <3 !
Original post by justalittlesilly
ameen ameen ! you are very welcome (: (thanks for showing me that smiley trick, really hate that emoji LOL)

anyways, i am a sister who's done hifdh ((: ! 17 is never too late as someone else mentioned . . . and i'd like to add on, there should be no fear of not completing it in time - do you know when you'll die ? your death could be written for tomorrow, only Allah knows ! focus more of your energy on doing the task and working in the present . every ayah you learn and memorize is a milestone of it's own in my eyes (: ! i hope you understand the message i'm trying to send, haha .

may Allah make your journey easy for you sister <3 !

Hahaaha its soo cute you using the smiling face, Allahumabarik

Jzakillah khair for your help - I had spoken with my masjid teacher and she had mentioned that it's harder for women; I was thinking may it be due to our menstruation cycle - but I feel I'm going to slowly memorise while reading the quraan again and when I'm confident with most surahs that I have memorised then i will start hifdh as doing Aalimah then understanding what I have memorised for the smaller surahs will allow me to have a deeper understanding (:

If you kind get me? Like I'll be doing hifdh but I won't be doing hifdh...

I understand your point 100% - thank you soo soo much, May you be rewarded soo much, ameen <3

Jzakillah khair, ameen ♡♡
Reply 12
Definitely do Aalimah first as for most people an Aalimiyyah course has its time and it is mostly done from a young age as it's much easier as you do not have as much responsibilities etc. With Hifdh you can always continue to do it slowly or at your own pace whilst at the same time being able to understand the deeper meanings of what you are learning due to the tafseer you'll be learning in Aalim classes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending