The Student Room Group

Giving up a full time well paid job to start a career change.

How old is toooooo old for a career change?
Considering the loss of income from a reasonably well paid job.
Having to study for 3 years before going back to work full time.
Age discrimination exists ( YUP it does) worried about recruitment once I start looking for work again.

What's your view?
Original post by Happy Hip Hippo
Age discrimination exists ( YUP it does) worried about recruitment once I start looking for work again.

What's your view?

I decided to change my career when I was about 28 years old. I was a business / finance manager and switched to engineering. Went back to Uni for 3 years giving up my regular and quite decent pay, but it was worth it. Depends on your goals, but I couldn't mentally tolerate the business/finance side of things anymore and I had a predisposition towards technology so the choice was sort of simple for me. If I was to go back I'd do that again. I don't regret at all.

By the way, I did not experience any age discrimination, not even a hint. If anything, I felt an advantage rather than anything else. All in all, you are more mature than the competition, so are naturally going to perform way better at Uni than your classmates who only think about how to get out and go get drunk at the club. And then you are also going to have better chance at getting through the interviews and getting the job offers as by this time you as an individual are a more composed, well rounded and confident person than the average student/graduate.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ThatguyAl
I decided to change my career when I was about 28 years old. I was a business / finance manager and switched to engineering. Went back to Uni for 3 years giving up my regular and quite decent pay, but it was worth it. Depends on your goals, but I couldn't mentally tolerate the business/finance side of things anymore and I had a predisposition towards technology so the choice was sort of simple for me. If I was to go back I'd do that again. I don't regret at all.

By the way, I did not experience any age discrimination, not even a hint. If anything, I felt an advantage rather than anything else. All in all, you are more mature than the competition, so are naturally going to perform way better at Uni than your classmates who only think about how to get out and go get drunk at the club. And then you are also going to have better chance at getting through the interviews and getting the job offers as by this time you as an individual are a more composed, well rounded and confident person than the average student/graduate.

thank you for your response. I appreciate you taking the time and the facts you mention bring home the reality :smile:

What's your view?

Hey @Happy Hip Hippo

How old do you think is too old? 😄
I've worked in hospitality for 17 years and in 2020 I went to college to do a 1 year science access course. I got accepted to university and started my biomedical science degree age 31.
Financially it's a challenge, but the maintenance loan combined with continuing to work part time and I'm getting there.
It's got to be something you really want at the end of the day, as it's a big commitment but worth it in the end.
Having the life experience as a mature student combined with your degree will set you above your peers after graduation if you do just as well as them

What sort of career are you looking to go into? That's the idea I started with before I picked my degree was "what am I prepared to spend the next 3-5 years of my life doing"

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
How old and how well paid? That can make a load of difference. Would you plan on working in the same career field on graduation?
Original post by ajj2000
How old and how well paid? That can make a load of difference. Would you plan on working in the same career field on graduation?

Let's sat 50+ career change. Becoming a registered healthcare professional. Literally starting again.
Let's sat 50+ career change. Becoming a registered healthcare professional. Literally starting again.

Ah, cool. I think there tend to be a lot of jobs in most healthcare fields so should be ok. Would be worth checking specifically for the area you are looking to go into and the region you wish to work in. There may be a big difference in employability between mental health nursing as biomedical science.
Reply 7
I’m retraining (will be 38 when start) to be an occupational therapist after 12 years as a teacher
Reply 8
I am just about to start my 5 year journey to becoming a Teacher, I'm 30. It's now or never as they say 😃

Original post by Mackem85
I’m retraining (will be 38 when start) to be an occupational therapist after 12 years as a teacher

Original post by Roo93
I am just about to start my 5 year journey to becoming a Teacher, I'm 30. It's now or never as they say 😃

It's never too late to pursue what you enjoy. Good luck in your journeys everyone!

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
Reply 10
Enjoying your working life is extremely important. If you are making a change that will improve your satisfaction I would say go for it. The only proviso is that you can afford it with any commitments you have
I am 40 and work as a nurse, this September I start uni studying English lit and creative writing
Reply 12
i’m a student nurse at the moment, there’s quite a few people on my course who are 40+ and have changed careers. even though i am younger we are a very close and accepting group and help eachother out whenever we can with the work :smile:
Reply 13
I’m 40 and going university in September do study dietetics and nutrition )
Reply 14

What's your view?

Career changes at a later age are becoming more and more accepted and normalised. I've changed my career path several times and I'm going to do it again in September by going to uni to become a paramedic at 29 years old (though I know of others doing the same at much older).

Sure the financial hit is significant, but you've gotta experience career sectors to truly understand what the best direction is, and following career satisfaction should be a priority I feel! I say go for it 100%.
Reply 15

What's your view?

Don't get disturbed or distracted by assumptions. Do your thing, do it to a level you are happy with, and see where that enjoyment takes you. Good attitude generally always gets hired too. :wink:
Thank you! that is perfect advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending