The Student Room Group

Paramedic science - degree v apprenticeship pathway

Hey everyone - I want to become a paramedic and am trying to decide whether to go the apprenticeship route (apply to be an AAP then progress to EMT then paramedic) or go to college, do a Paramedic Science degree and apply directly for jobs as a qualified paramedic, I've heard quite a range of stuff about which is best so looking for any wisdom folks here have to offer.

For background I'm 24 and working as an HCA, currently in psych but have done the same role in different departments as well, was in social care and community mental health services before that. I'm a US citizen on a health & care worker visa, planning to apply for ILR once I'm eligible. I have a manual B-class drivers' license and C1 provisional, currently doing my full C1. I have a GED and am studying for GCSEs (Math, English, Biology, Chemistry & Physics). Got a fair amount of basic clinical skills and some workplace training but no formal medical qualifications, I'm also a first aider and do a lot of voluntary work in that sector (very low-level stuff though not anything like actual paramedic skills).

I'm leaning towards the apprenticeship option at the moment - I love the idea of learning on-the-job and know that works for me as it's how I trained for my current role and in previous jobs. It's also very affordable and fits well with my lifestyle, and I meet the eligibility requirements (or I will once I finish my GCSEs (November), I'm looking to apply after that). However I'm worried that I won't get the AAP job in the first place, there seem to be very few of them available and I assume they're pretty competitive.

My primary interest in doing the degree route is that it might be quicker (although this seems to be very questionable), I also feel that it'll potentially give me better clinical skills, and there seem to be a lot more places (obviously it's still pretty competitive, but it's more of a defined path and might be easier to get my foot in the door with). I also like the idea of going to college just for the experience (maybe, although I guess I equally might end up hating it lol, I'm not really the academic type in general although I have enjoyed the healthcare-specific training I've done). I'd be working as an HCA or something similar while studying, I wouldn't want to just study and be out of the workforce entirely (can't afford to do that anyway), I think I'd probably be ok with that but it would be kinda annoying not to be working directly in the ambulance service. I would also need to do A-levels (which I could, but obviously they're additional time and expense and I may not do well enough) and figure out the whole uni application process (which sounds the same or harder as the apprenticeship one!)

What should I do y'all?
Original post by JaceW98
Hey everyone - I want to become a paramedic and am trying to decide whether to go the apprenticeship route (apply to be an AAP then progress to EMT then paramedic) or go to college, do a Paramedic Science degree and apply directly for jobs as a qualified paramedic, I've heard quite a range of stuff about which is best so looking for any wisdom folks here have to offer.

For background I'm 24 and working as an HCA, currently in psych but have done the same role in different departments as well, was in social care and community mental health services before that. I'm a US citizen on a health & care worker visa, planning to apply for ILR once I'm eligible. I have a manual B-class drivers' license and C1 provisional, currently doing my full C1. I have a GED and am studying for GCSEs (Math, English, Biology, Chemistry & Physics). Got a fair amount of basic clinical skills and some workplace training but no formal medical qualifications, I'm also a first aider and do a lot of voluntary work in that sector (very low-level stuff though not anything like actual paramedic skills).

I'm leaning towards the apprenticeship option at the moment - I love the idea of learning on-the-job and know that works for me as it's how I trained for my current role and in previous jobs. It's also very affordable and fits well with my lifestyle, and I meet the eligibility requirements (or I will once I finish my GCSEs (November), I'm looking to apply after that). However I'm worried that I won't get the AAP job in the first place, there seem to be very few of them available and I assume they're pretty competitive.

My primary interest in doing the degree route is that it might be quicker (although this seems to be very questionable), I also feel that it'll potentially give me better clinical skills, and there seem to be a lot more places (obviously it's still pretty competitive, but it's more of a defined path and might be easier to get my foot in the door with). I also like the idea of going to college just for the experience (maybe, although I guess I equally might end up hating it lol, I'm not really the academic type in general although I have enjoyed the healthcare-specific training I've done). I'd be working as an HCA or something similar while studying, I wouldn't want to just study and be out of the workforce entirely (can't afford to do that anyway), I think I'd probably be ok with that but it would be kinda annoying not to be working directly in the ambulance service. I would also need to do A-levels (which I could, but obviously they're additional time and expense and I may not do well enough) and figure out the whole uni application process (which sounds the same or harder as the apprenticeship one!)

What should I do y'all?

Hi,

Wow, you are doing loads! I think you should go to some university open days and chat to staff and current students, they will be the best bet to help advise you.
There are lots of different ways to get to the place you want to be at, and both of these are excellent options. It all comes down to what you want, if you want the university experience and having a cohort etc then maybe uni is right for you. If you aren't too bothered about that then the apprenticeship route is a good way to earn while on the job!

I think just weigh up your pros and cons, attend some open days and get some advice.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y3 Medical Student
University of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador
Reply 2
Original post by JaceW98

What should I do y'all?

Hey,

Good luck with your progression into becoming a paramedic, I hope it all goes well.
I hope to reassure you on the degree route and it's speed in terms of becoming a qualified paramedic.

I'm a current third year student paramedic that's due to qualify as an NQP later this year, from the start of college to my start date as an NQP was 4 years (With an additional 2 years as an NQP to become a band 6 paramedic). As part of my college I did an access to higher education course which, could be an option for yourself. It was a years worth of studying either a healthcare or science diploma and was an alternative to doing A-levels (And personally less stressful). However, Some universities do not accept an access to HE qualification so this should be considered in weighing up your options (this can be check on each universities entry requirements). Either route you go down you'll end up at university, as a degree is now a requirement for paramedics, So either 3 years full time as a direct university student or a 2 year top up degree from EMT to paramedic, both will be academically challenging.

I've heard before that the apprenticeship route is difficult to get on and can be hard to progress quickly as a lot of people are trying to get on AAP to Paramedic courses and they only advertise for the job a few times a year but it does mean you'll be earning as you learn. The degree can also be challenging to get on as cohorts are typically between 20-100 people per year. You have a solid foundation of personal/work experience and you seem determined to get the qualifications you need both of which will make you a great candidate when applying for either.

As part of my degree I've been able to work alongside to earn some cash, as you've said it's be known for people to have a bank contract as a HCA to earn and stay within a relevant field of work which I think is a great idea.

Hopefully this was helpful, if you have any questions feel free to ask.
- Drew :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by University of Sunderland Student Ambassador
Hi,

Wow, you are doing loads! I think you should go to some university open days and chat to staff and current students, they will be the best bet to help advise you.
There are lots of different ways to get to the place you want to be at, and both of these are excellent options. It all comes down to what you want, if you want the university experience and having a cohort etc then maybe uni is right for you. If you aren't too bothered about that then the apprenticeship route is a good way to earn while on the job!

I think just weigh up your pros and cons, attend some open days and get some advice.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y3 Medical Student
University of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador

Thanks, open days are a good call, I've been to a few (both for unis and for the apprenticeship scheme) and they were great but obviously people on either side aren't really in a position to compare it directly with the other so it's been hard to get an objective view of which is 'better' (as much as there is a better option, which obviously isn't really the case).

I'm not really sure if I want the university experience tbh! I left school at 15 and haven't been in education since except for some night classes and my on-the-job training so I don't know much about formal education or whether it's for me, it sounds fun and I like the idea of student life, but I don't really have much of a reference for it - I'm also a bit older so idk how much that is gonna affect my experience, if I go to college I really wanna get the full experience. I think I'd definitely like the apprenticeship model, and earning on the job would be great so idk!

I think the deciding factor for me is gonna be which route gives me the most experience and best clinical skills, and which I have a better chance of getting into
Reply 4
Original post by Trolly42b
Hey,

Good luck with your progression into becoming a paramedic, I hope it all goes well.
I hope to reassure you on the degree route and it's speed in terms of becoming a qualified paramedic.

I'm a current third year student paramedic that's due to qualify as an NQP later this year, from the start of college to my start date as an NQP was 4 years (With an additional 2 years as an NQP to become a band 6 paramedic). As part of my college I did an access to higher education course which, could be an option for yourself. It was a years worth of studying either a healthcare or science diploma and was an alternative to doing A-levels (And personally less stressful). However, Some universities do not accept an access to HE qualification so this should be considered in weighing up your options (this can be check on each universities entry requirements). Either route you go down you'll end up at university, as a degree is now a requirement for paramedics, So either 3 years full time as a direct university student or a 2 year top up degree from EMT to paramedic, both will be academically challenging.

I've heard before that the apprenticeship route is difficult to get on and can be hard to progress quickly as a lot of people are trying to get on AAP to Paramedic courses and they only advertise for the job a few times a year but it does mean you'll be earning as you learn. The degree can also be challenging to get on as cohorts are typically between 20-100 people per year. You have a solid foundation of personal/work experience and you seem determined to get the qualifications you need both of which will make you a great candidate when applying for either.

As part of my degree I've been able to work alongside to earn some cash, as you've said it's be known for people to have a bank contract as a HCA to earn and stay within a relevant field of work which I think is a great idea.

Hopefully this was helpful, if you have any questions feel free to ask.
- Drew :biggrin:

This is super helpful thank you! And good luck with your own career :biggrin:
I did the previous version of the apprenticeship, and my main piece of advice is to ensure that you are happy working at each level. You will be employed as an AAP (or whatever level you're at) rather than as a guaranteed student paramedic. So if you're expecting to progress onto the next level straight away you will be disappointed. I had to change Trusts because I couldn't get a place on the paramedic training programme, but I think that's more difficult now. But there are loads of people wanting to do it so it might take a while before you can progress.

Also if you're looking at LAS (which I assume you are due to the mention of AAP) then make sure you look at the location of their training centres and can happily get to one of them. When you start you'll do classroom training. They keep changing how long it's for - mine was 15 weeks but it's increased now so be prepared to travel there for about 20 weeks.

The other thing is that when you start you'll be on a relief rota (after the classroom bit). This means you're filling in the gaps whenever someone is off sick/on holiday/whatever. So you don't get a nice rota and you'll just be working whatever shifts they need you to. It won't be impossible/illegal, but you might find you're sent to different ambulance stations every day. They also might change your shifts at short notice. Eventually you'll be given "a line" which means you get a set rota and a set crewmate and is so much better.
Reply 6
Original post by BlueLightDriver
I did the previous version of the apprenticeship, and my main piece of advice is to ensure that you are happy working at each level. You will be employed as an AAP (or whatever level you're at) rather than as a guaranteed student paramedic. So if you're expecting to progress onto the next level straight away you will be disappointed. I had to change Trusts because I couldn't get a place on the paramedic training programme, but I think that's more difficult now. But there are loads of people wanting to do it so it might take a while before you can progress.

Also if you're looking at LAS (which I assume you are due to the mention of AAP) then make sure you look at the location of their training centres and can happily get to one of them. When you start you'll do classroom training. They keep changing how long it's for - mine was 15 weeks but it's increased now so be prepared to travel there for about 20 weeks.

The other thing is that when you start you'll be on a relief rota (after the classroom bit). This means you're filling in the gaps whenever someone is off sick/on holiday/whatever. So you don't get a nice rota and you'll just be working whatever shifts they need you to. It won't be impossible/illegal, but you might find you're sent to different ambulance stations every day. They also might change your shifts at short notice. Eventually you'll be given "a line" which means you get a set rota and a set crewmate and is so much better.

Thanks for the info that's super useful.

I've thought about this, and yes I actively WANT to be an AAP - I do also want to be a paramedic in the longer term, but I primarily want to be working in EMS, dealing with crisis situations and supporting patients, that's what's important to me and doing that kind of work in some capacity as soon as possible is more important to be than being more senior. I want to progress, but I'm totally fine with not progressing right away, and I'm also totally open to moving trusts, I know London is super-competitive.

I was actually 100% set on the apprenticeship route when I first started planning my career change, but I got a bit spooked by how competitive it looked and how little information or support there seemed to be around applying, and at the same time I started finding out more about the university route (along with the tons of info/support there is out there for people applying to university) and kinda swung pretty heavily towards that (and joined TSR 😂), I've recently been to an open day that made the apprenticeship route look a lot more approachable and been offered more support for that so I'm reconsidering again!! I think I've also gotten more excited about university because it's something completely new, the 'college experience' would be fun but is definitely a very secondary factor, and I'm not sure how ok I'd be with being out of the workforce for 3 years as I've never done anything like that before (although I'd imagine the placements might mitigate a lot of that feeling of not being out there working on the ground)

Ultimately the most important thing for me is having the best possible chance of getting a job in EMS, I want a foot in the door first and foremost, I'm happy to work on career progression later. I guess my question is - am I more likely to get onto the apprenticeship or to get into college?

The other stuff you've mentioned is important too and thanks for the reminders! Yes I know the training center locations and am happy with them, I actually live super close to the Docklands one so it's very convenient (I assume I'll either be able to choose or get automatically allocated to the one I live closest to). I've worked relief rotas in the past and like them so no issues with that either - my only worry would be whether they give you enough work reliably? Like is there a possibility I'd end up with hardly any shifts if there weren't a lot of people off?
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by JaceW98
Thanks for the info that's super useful.

I've thought about this, and yes I actively WANT to be an AAP - I do also want to be a paramedic in the longer term, but I primarily want to be working in EMS, dealing with crisis situations and supporting patients, that's what's important to me and doing that kind of work in some capacity as soon as possible is more important to be than being more senior. I want to progress, but I'm totally fine with not progressing right away, and I'm also totally open to moving trusts, I know London is super-competitive.

I was actually 100% set on the apprenticeship route when I first started planning my career change, but I got a bit spooked by how competitive it looked and how little information or support there seemed to be around applying, and at the same time I started finding out more about the university route (along with the tons of info/support there is out there for people applying to university) and kinda swung pretty heavily towards that (and joined TSR 😂), I've recently been to an open day that made the apprenticeship route look a lot more approachable and been offered more support for that so I'm reconsidering again!! I think I've also gotten more excited about university because it's something completely new, the 'college experience' would be fun but is definitely a very secondary factor, and I'm not sure how ok I'd be with being out of the workforce for 3 years as I've never done anything like that before (although I'd imagine the placements might mitigate a lot of that feeling of not being out there working on the ground)

Ultimately the most important thing for me is having the best possible chance of getting a job in EMS, I want a foot in the door first and foremost, I'm happy to work on career progression later. I guess my question is - am I more likely to get onto the apprenticeship or to get into college?

The other stuff you've mentioned is important too and thanks for the reminders! Yes I know the training center locations and am happy with them, I actually live super close to the Docklands one so it's very convenient (I assume I'll either be able to choose or get automatically allocated to the one I live closest to). I've worked relief rotas in the past and like them so no issues with that either - my only worry would be whether they give you enough work reliably? Like is there a possibility I'd end up with hardly any shifts if there weren't a lot of people off?

How relief works is that you're allocated a "complex", which is a group of ambulance stations. You're then primarily allocated shifts at these stations. If there isn't anything available in your complex they will look at the next closest complex and send you there instead. So you might end up travelling, but you'll definitely be allocated a shift. They work out your average hours per week over a rolling 12(ish) week period, so if really necessary they'll give you an extra day off and then you'll end up working more long shifts over the next few weeks. It sounds like it shouldn't work but it actually does.

They will ask you at interview which training station you would like, and then you wait for a start date. At some point during training they will then ask which complex you want. They'll try to place you there but if there aren't any spaces then you might end up being sent elsewhere. You can then apply to change complex and wait for a space.

A few years ago the LAS took hardly anyone on their paramedic programme but it has increased loads. The HCPC gave them approval for 3 cohorts of 40 students per year, which sounds small but a few years ago they were genuinely taking 12 per year. It is still competitive, but it's getting a lot easier.

Anecdotally, the feeling is very much that university paramedics aren't as good with patients because they don't get the same amount of exposure during the course. But if you want a quicker route that's guaranteed to make you into a paramedic then the degree route is better. It took me 5 years to qualify and it would have been longer if I hadn't moved Trusts.

Definitely look into finances. When the LAS (and probably others too) advertise they include everything they can to make the salary look bigger. As an AAP you'll either be pay band 3 or 4 (I can't remember) of the NHS Agenda For Change pay bands. During the initial training, you only get paid a percentage of that - I'm sure it was 75% when I did it but it might have changed. So the headline wage is already inflated, and then you don't get all of that for 20ish weeks. When you are on the road you won't ever finish on time so you'll get paid overtime for that (or you can take it as TOIL) and you get paid extra for things like missed breaks and you'll also get inner/outer London weighting as applicable.
However, as an AAP you do get paid and as a university student you don't. You'll get standard student loans, but you don't get any of the extras like the £5k for nurses even though places sometimes advertise you do. Paramedicine is also not exempt from the second degree rules (which doesn't sound like it applies to you, but including that for anyone else who reads this).
Reply 8
How relief works is that you're allocated a "complex", which is a group of ambulance stations. You're then primarily allocated shifts at these stations. If there isn't anything available in your complex they will look at the next closest complex and send you there instead. So you might end up travelling, but you'll definitely be allocated a shift. They work out your average hours per week over a rolling 12(ish) week period, so if really necessary they'll give you an extra day off and then you'll end up working more long shifts over the next few weeks. It sounds like it shouldn't work but it actually does.

They will ask you at interview which training station you would like, and then you wait for a start date. At some point during training they will then ask which complex you want. They'll try to place you there but if there aren't any spaces then you might end up being sent elsewhere. You can then apply to change complex and wait for a space.

A few years ago the LAS took hardly anyone on their paramedic programme but it has increased loads. The HCPC gave them approval for 3 cohorts of 40 students per year, which sounds small but a few years ago they were genuinely taking 12 per year. It is still competitive, but it's getting a lot easier.

Anecdotally, the feeling is very much that university paramedics aren't as good with patients because they don't get the same amount of exposure during the course. But if you want a quicker route that's guaranteed to make you into a paramedic then the degree route is better. It took me 5 years to qualify and it would have been longer if I hadn't moved Trusts.

Definitely look into finances. When the LAS (and probably others too) advertise they include everything they can to make the salary look bigger. As an AAP you'll either be pay band 3 or 4 (I can't remember) of the NHS Agenda For Change pay bands. During the initial training, you only get paid a percentage of that - I'm sure it was 75% when I did it but it might have changed. So the headline wage is already inflated, and then you don't get all of that for 20ish weeks. When you are on the road you won't ever finish on time so you'll get paid overtime for that (or you can take it as TOIL) and you get paid extra for things like missed breaks and you'll also get inner/outer London weighting as applicable.
However, as an AAP you do get paid and as a university student you don't. You'll get standard student loans, but you don't get any of the extras like the £5k for nurses even though places sometimes advertise you do. Paramedicine is also not exempt from the second degree rules (which doesn't sound like it applies to you, but including that for anyone else who reads this).

More excellent insight, thanks so much for all this, it's been really hard to find this kind of info online/in resources for applicants and the people I know in LAS either went the degree route or did apprenticeship-type things ages ago when the system was really different.

Tbh the complex thing sounds great, I like the idea of seeing a lot of different stations and areas, especially to begin with. I'm not picky about hours as long as I'm reliably getting enough, my lifestyle is pretty flexible anyway and if I get the job I'd be basically planning my life around my shifts. Good to know it does actually work, I find a lot of things in the NHS follow that 'shouldn't work but somehow does' model lol

That's so good that they're increasing their intake numbers, sounds a lot more doable to get in as one of 120 a year rather than one of 12 holy ****! While we're here do you have any application wisdom to share? 🙃

I've heard that from a bunch of different people! And that is a concern for me, I'm coming from a social care and mental health background so patient care and quality of service is really my priority, I want to make sure I get enough real-life experience of ambulance work to do a good job with that.

Yeah I've been thinking about the speed of qualifying thing a lot and tbh I don't mind if it takes a while to get to the actual paramedic role, I think I'd rather take longer to get there but be working on the ground the whole time than get there quicker by having a period being out of the workforce.

Pay isn't that important to me, I spend about £8k a year and am flexible on that, so 75% of a band 3 is fine (I'm on band 3 currently and make way more than I need to live on as well as paying for my GCSEs and C1 lessons), good to know about the deductions though thanks. If I did the degree option I'd need to work alongside it, which I'm fine with, but I think it would probably be better for my skills and career development to be working in the actual job I'm training for rather than have the distraction of a separate job (I'd be working as a bank HCA and/or carer probably, so kinda related but not actively adding to my paramedicine skills). Wow the £5k is a lie? I've seen so many unis advertising that!!
heyy I was just wondering if paramedic science is a good course and if its useful. and also if i would be able to work and have a secure job after uni or if it'll be hard. As the course isnt that popular, I'm finding it hard to find much information about it. I'm 17 and I'm applying to uni this year to start next year in september.
Reply 10

Update - decided to do both 😂

I've started an access course that'll make me eligible for the uni option so I'm planning to apply for paramedic science degrees and also apply for the apprenticeship, if I get an offer for the apprenticeship before the uni course starts I'll take it, if not I'll do the degree. Hopefully I'll get into one or the other!!

Quick Reply

Latest