The Student Room Group

Dentistry Abroad (Spain?)

I have been rejected from 3 UK dental schools so far this year and have just one more which I hear back around May. If I don’t get in, I’m thinking of going abroad. But I don’t want to go Eastern Europe, I was thinking Spain but I have no idea about the application process which I have tried to look online but I know some people have already been through this so if you just have any way to find out the right info or whether it’s worth it?

Thanks! Are there any schools/countries that offer student loans to British applicants, doesn’t seem like Valencia does.
I don’t mind if the schools are really competitive to get in.
Reply 3
Original post by lookingatthesun
Thanks! Are there any schools/countries that offer student loans to British applicants, doesn’t seem like Valencia does.
I don’t mind if the schools are really competitive to get in.

Unfortunately I don’t know of any.
However Slovakia also has an English taught dentistry program. Fees remain at €11K/ year but all other living expenses are far cheaper than Spain.
https://europe-studies.com/en/pavol-jozef-safarik-university-of-dentistry-in-kosice-slovakia/
Reply 4
I have been rejected from 3 UK dental schools so far this year and have just one more which I hear back around May. If I don’t get in, I’m thinking of going abroad. But I don’t want to go Eastern Europe, I was thinking Spain but I have no idea about the application process which I have tried to look online but I know some people have already been through this so if you just have any way to find out the right info or whether it’s worth it?

I was in an identical position last year, I had 3 rejections had all my hope for Kings only to get auto-rejected in May. I then decided to go Georgia for dentistry even paid the deposit for my first year then last second stuff happened and I took a massive U turn and decided to apply again. Alhamdulilah I have offers now and I do not regret my decision one bit.
Going abroad is very tekky in terms of when u come back qualified u have to do the OSCE exam and I am happy to be corrected but I believe when you come back you don't get placements/jobs very easily as home qualified dentists are preferred.
The only reason I believe anyone should go abroad is if they don't have the grades for UK unis apart from that reapply again. Gap years are common in dentistry and some even take 2/3. So no, not worth going abroad IMO.
Reply 5
100% agrée with@drdent
A year out to strengthen an application, to apply with achieved grades can make all the difference. It’s common to take several application rounds to gain a place for medecine, dentistry and vet med, and loads of other students have a gap year just to live a bit before going to uni.
Think seriously about reapplying before going abroad.
Original post by drdent
I was in an identical position last year, I had 3 rejections had all my hope for Kings only to get auto-rejected in May. I then decided to go Georgia for dentistry even paid the deposit for my first year then last second stuff happened and I took a massive U turn and decided to apply again. Alhamdulilah I have offers now and I do not regret my decision one bit.
Going abroad is very tekky in terms of when u come back qualified u have to do the OSCE exam and I am happy to be corrected but I believe when you come back you don't get placements/jobs very easily as home qualified dentists are preferred.
The only reason I believe anyone should go abroad is if they don't have the grades for UK unis apart from that reapply again. Gap years are common in dentistry and some even take 2/3. So no, not worth going abroad IMO.

Allahumma barik, you deserve it! InshaAllah kings will give me a place but I do doubt it. I’m already on a gap year but the difference is I never applied for dentistry last year because I didn’t know what I wanted to do. So I’ve applied for the first time a year later and my parents really disliked that I took a gap year anyway so now they want me to go abroad to study than “waste another year”. I wouldn’t mind reapplying but tbh I’m not even 100% passionate abt dentistry - I just wanted something in healthcare and dentistry is very practical with an okay work life balance and that was basically it. I wouldn’t really want to go abroad either unless it’s a country I genuinely want to be in.
Reply 7
Allahumma barik, you deserve it! InshaAllah kings will give me a place but I do doubt it. I’m already on a gap year but the difference is I never applied for dentistry last year because I didn’t know what I wanted to do. So I’ve applied for the first time a year later and my parents really disliked that I took a gap year anyway so now they want me to go abroad to study than “waste another year”. I wouldn’t mind reapplying but tbh I’m not even 100% passionate abt dentistry - I just wanted something in healthcare and dentistry is very practical with an okay work life balance and that was basically it. I wouldn’t really want to go abroad either unless it’s a country I genuinely want to be in.

ahhhh okay that makes sense. Inshallah Kings comes through.
Original post by drdent
ahhhh okay that makes sense. Inshallah Kings comes through.

I got an offer from kings !!!😭
Reply 9

CLUTCHHH!!!! Alahumma Barik Bro!!! You deserve it Alhamdulilah! Happy for you akh!
Reply 10

Fantastic!! Congratulations 🎉 🎉🎊🎊
Reply 11

Alhamdulilah just got an offer too! My bro
Reply 12
Original post by drdent

Congratulations !!🎊🎊🎉
Original post by drdent

Allahumma barik !! Why did I think you were already at uni 😂😂 I think I got u confused w someone else hahah
Reply 14
Original post by Euapp
Congratulations !!🎊🎊🎉

Allahumma barik !! Why did I think you were already at uni 😂😂 I think I got u confused w someone else hahah

Thanks, Nah im on a gap year.
@Euapp are u in uni rn?

Quick Reply

Latest