The Student Room Group

Official Thread: (Undergraduate) Medicine 2025 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ola_2007
what are the low GCSE unis though? when i search, i get Imperial,Glasgow most of the time
^I am kinda of leaning on BSMS now
(lilysilly_5454, thank you much for your replies and i will be taking your advice<3)
(Ibmoahsa, thank you for your advice!! i tried few ucat mocks, and the scores are pretty decent but yes i will re-finalise my decision once i get my Ucat and A levels)
I am a bit too organized about everything so i like to have a goal to motivate me, so yeah i get pretty deep into it, plus need to write ps according to the unis as well:smile:

Idk bout glasgow but ye imperial and bsms would be classed as low gcse unis
what are the low GCSE unis though? when i search, i get Imperial,Glasgow most of the time
^I am kinda of leaning on BSMS now
(lilysilly_5454, thank you much for your replies and i will be taking your advice<3)
(Ibmoahsa, thank you for your advice!! i tried few ucat mocks, and the scores are pretty decent but yes i will re-finalise my decision once i get my Ucat and A levels)
I am a bit too organized about everything so i like to have a goal to motivate me, so yeah i get pretty deep into it, plus need to write ps according to the unis as well:smile:

Hi Ola_2007 where did you take UCAT mock exams. Any links pl. ta
Reply 42
Original post by lilysilly_5454
Idk bout glasgow but ye imperial and bsms would be classed as low gcse unis

would it be a wise choice then?
if you don't mind me asking, which uni are you planning on applying?
Reply 43
would it be a wise choice then?
if you don't mind me asking, which uni are you planning on applying?

yep they probably would be I’m not exactly sure yet as it depends on my ucat

right now I have just decide to make a list of schools I meet the requirements for and skim down after ucat then looking at specifics
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 45
cool cool! good luck!!!
Hey, which unis would you suggest for putting high value on GCSEs? I got 9 9s and an 8 so I don't want to apply to a uni which doesn't consider them much...thanks :smile:
Original post by Chloe_8206
Hey, which unis would you suggest for putting high value on GCSEs? I got 9 9s and an 8 so I don't want to apply to a uni which doesn't consider them much...thanks :smile:

Birmingham oxbridge Newcastle kcl off the top of my head (maybe notts Manchester ) more about meeting minimum for those thou 7 grade 7s
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by lilysilly_5454
Birmingham oxbridge Newcastle kcl off the top of my head (maybe notts Manchester ) more about meeting minimum for those thou 7 grade 7s

Thanks for the helpful reply! ☺️

Thanks for the helpful reply! ☺️

Ye but this also depends on the ucat I’m just stating schools that use GCSEs scoring other things come into account
Original post by anonymous.2003
hi i was wondering if oxbridge and other unis consider a gcse grade 8 and 9 in the same way . i saw a statistic on oxf uni's website and is was that the avg successful applicant has 10 8+9s and gcse. im the applying yera with no personal statement so things are gonna be quite diff, so i wanted to make sure this info was accurate

some do, some don't!! best to check the website, as some unis have a document with how they score points for interview

birmingham, KCL (high ucat unis,) also leicester (which i just got an offer from!) nottingham, keele, aston are the ones that score gcses from the top of my head
I have 4 As and 2Bs (French and chemistry) should I apply to schools that don't look at IGCSE or the ones where I pass the minimum requirement? I am an International student applying for the 2025 entry.
I am doing my AS level so I will apply with A-level predicted grades.(I want to know if they are safe to choose or not) I have picked four med schools:
University of Leicester
University of Leeds
The University of Edinburgh
Queens University Belfast

I have done virtual internships to boost my CV and took part in leadership roles in school(I chose these unis for their PBL and CBL courses plus anatomy method (I prefer dissection))(for personal interest I looked at their student union as well)
Can anyone suggest any unis that might fit?

i think double check leicester, they do look at GCSEs
Original post by preena9753

birmingham, KCL (high ucat unis,) also leicester (which i just got an offer from!) nottingham, keele, aston are the ones that score gcses from the top of my head

Keele is just minimum requirements which they don’t want but the rest are great
Hi.
I am an aspiring medic and I'm currently in year 12 doing Chemistry Biology and Maths.
I am currently getting consistent 85-95 percent in all three subjects, so I assume I will be predicted 3 A*.
I have also achieved all nines in GCSE and I have done a couple of UCAT mocks and with the best score of 2970 and average of 2890.( I am not cramming at all I'm just doing it casually)
I will be doing volunteering for 6 months in British heart foundation and medical museum, with 3 hospital work experiences and 1 GP.
I am planning on applying to UCL, King's, Bristol and Queen Mary or Southampton as my fourth.
Am I being over-ambitious and unrealistic?

Note: I am applying for deferred entry, and from the statistics I've seen, it is basically the same as home applicants' offer rate.
Original post by Yourname123456
Hi.
I am an aspiring medic and I'm currently in year 12 doing Chemistry Biology and Maths.
I am currently getting consistent 85-95 percent in all three subjects, so I assume I will be predicted 3 A*.
I have also achieved all nines in GCSE and I have done a couple of UCAT mocks and with the best score of 2970 and average of 2890.( I am not cramming at all I'm just doing it casually)
I will be doing volunteering for 6 months in British heart foundation and medical museum, with 3 hospital work experiences and 1 GP.
I am planning on applying to UCL, King's, Bristol and Queen Mary or Southampton as my fourth.
Am I being over-ambitious and unrealistic?

Note: I am applying for deferred entry, and from the statistics I've seen, it is basically the same as home applicants' offer rate.

Hi, your academics and volunteering extra curricular sound great, just remember it's how you reflect on them that's important, not what you do.

It's very early to have started UCAT prep, be careful you don't burn yourself out! It does happen. Your scores, even now, are good and should stand you a reasonable chance at a number of unis.

Whether it would be strategic to apply to the ones you have mentioned, very much depends on what your final UCAT / SJT score is. So its hard to say at this stage whether they are the best ones for you to apply to or not. It also depends on your fee status / age at start of term and a host of other things which won't really be clear until the med schools have released their application policies for 2025/26 entry. But the biggest thing by far with your academic profile will be UCAT/SJT.

You are def on a good track though !
(edited 2 months ago)
thx!!
Reply 57

Leicester score 8 GCSEs with a score out of 32 (9=4, 8= 3, etc). They combine that with your ucat which they also score out of 32.
It’s a scoring system which strongly rewards those with good GCSEs as each dropped GCSE point is equivalent to a 100 point UCAT drop). Leicester is the most GCSE heavy med school. And it is certainly possible to compensate for an average UCAT score here if you have great GCSEs.

Kings score your GCSEs out of 30.
And combine it with your ucat score out of 100, your UCAT SJT score out of 10 and a contextual score out of 30. To give you a total score out of 170.
130 has been the cut off for them in recent years.

So GCSEs are important with KiNGs but clearly not to the same extent as Leicester which is mainly about your GCSEs.
Reply 58
Original post by Medpapa
Leicester score 8 GCSEs with a score out of 32 (9=4, 8= 3, etc). They combine that with your ucat which they also score out of 32.
It’s a scoring system which strongly rewards those with good GCSEs as each dropped GCSE point is equivalent to a 100 point UCAT drop). Leicester is the most GCSE heavy med school. And it is certainly possible to compensate for an average UCAT score here if you have great GCSEs.

Kings score your GCSEs out of 30.
And combine it with your ucat score out of 100, your UCAT SJT score out of 10 and a contextual score out of 30. To give you a total score out of 170.
130 has been the cut off for them in recent years.

So GCSEs are important with KiNGs but clearly not to the same extent as Leicester which is mainly about your GCSEs.

QUB is currently the most GCSE heavy med school in terms of grades required, but Newcastle may well be vying with that next year!
Others may use GCSEs for more of their scoring, but accept 8s and 9s as equivalent (currently!)
Oxford is doing the ucat

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending