The Student Room Group

Official Thread: (Undergraduate) Medicine 2025 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by lilysilly_5454
Oxford is doing the ucat

Where did you find that information? I checked on the University of Oxford's BMAT page and they say:

" New arrangements for admissions tests in 2024 (for 2025-entry) for Medicine, Biomedical Sciences and Graduate Entry Medicine will be communicated by the start of the new admissions cycle in Spring. In the meantime, you are welcome to explore the BMAT test preparation and practice materials which you may still find helpful. "

I feel like the wording implies independent/internally arranged exams but is quite ambiguous.
Original post by azure000

Where did you find that information? I checked on the University of Oxford's BMAT page and they say:

" New arrangements for admissions tests in 2024 (for 2025-entry) for Medicine, Biomedical Sciences and Graduate Entry Medicine will be communicated by the start of the new admissions cycle in Spring. In the meantime, you are welcome to explore the BMAT test preparation and practice materials which you may still find helpful. "

I feel like the wording implies independent/internally arranged exams but is quite ambiguous.

Well its been confirmed it doing ucat

i will be doing medicine in 2026 god willing
but i like to watch this discussion to get a better understanding of my career pathway so please can someone explain these UCAT and UCAS and BMAT things
also i am a bit confused as, for example when i look at entry requirements for Cambridge on UCAS it says A* A A however on their website it is A* A A so which do i follow?
Original post by niqabiforever21
i will be doing medicine in 2026 god willing
but i like to watch this discussion to get a better understanding of my career pathway so please can someone explain these UCAT and UCAS and BMAT things
also i am a bit confused as, for example when i look at entry requirements for Cambridge on UCAS it says A* A A however on their website it is A* A A so which do i follow?

With cambridge entry requirements more likely to be A star A star A
Would also Need to take biology chemistry and maths

Ucas is the platform you apply to unis with
Ucat is the medicine entrance exam
And No Need to worry bout Bmat
(edited 2 months ago)

Ucat is the medicine enterace exam

thank you very much
Reply 65
Well its been confirmed it doing ucat

Sorry if I came off aggressively at all, I was curious haha

I don't tend to trust the internet too much so wanted to ask how you found out it's been confimed.

I am really grateful (and am sure a lot of the other readers of the forum) that you help out on this thread.
Reply 66

I don't tend to trust the internet too much so wanted to ask how you found out it's been confimed.

I am really grateful (and am sure a lot of the other readers of the forum) that you help out on this thread.

@lilysilly_5454 is right .

you can find the information in the list of university that doing UCAT in the official ucat website https://www.ucat.ac.uk/about-ucat/universities/

as oxford was added to it.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 67
Original post by Ibmoahsa

@lilysilly_5454 is right .

you can find the information in the list of university that doing UCAT in the official ucat website https://www.ucat.ac.uk/about-ucat/universities/

as oxford was added to it.

Thank you 🙏
Reply 68
Original post by ola_2007
I have 4 As and 2Bs (French and chemistry) should I apply to schools that don't look at IGCSE or the ones where I pass the minimum requirement? I am an International student applying for the 2025 entry.
I am doing my AS level so I will apply with A-level predicted grades.(I want to know if they are safe to choose or not) I have picked four med schools:
University of Leicester
University of Leeds
The University of Edinburgh
Queens University Belfast

I have done virtual internships to boost my CV and took part in leadership roles in school(I chose these unis for their PBL and CBL courses plus anatomy method (I prefer dissection))(for personal interest I looked at their student union as well)
Can anyone suggest any unis that might fit?
bro im not gonna lie to you, Ive already applied med this cycle so ive done a good amount of research. You needs 7s min in the sciences for pretty much most med schools. I dont know if your a contextual in any way but pls do research before you apply.
Reply 70
Original post by shvitus
bro im not gonna lie to you, Ive already applied med this cycle so ive done a good amount of research. You needs 7s min in the sciences for pretty much most med schools. I dont know if your a contextual in any way but pls do research before you apply.
I am an international student also i don't fall under contextual. IGCSE is the major point i didn't consider before but few schools don't weigh on IGCSE but they still accept A and above specifically in math and english. It's the A levels that matter the most in terms of academics. Also if get an average score in igcse(As and Bs) but do well in A levels(AAA* or AAA), would the weightage change?
^I am taking biology, physics, and chemistry for A-levels
Reply 71
I am an international student also i don't fall under contextual. IGCSE is the major point i didn't consider before but few schools don't weigh on IGCSE but they still accept A and above specifically in math and english. It's the A levels that matter the most in terms of academics. Also if get an average score in igcse(As and Bs) but do well in A levels(AAA* or AAA), would the weightage change?
You are right there are a few schools which do only care about the minimum GCSEs, your predicted grades which you will get in year 12 are normally from your end of year mock. Some med schools care about it and some don’t at all. Your ucat is honestly the main thing. Get above a 2750 and if you apply to the right places you can pretty much guarantee yourself a medicine place. However you will be limited where you can apply due to your GCSEs, but you only need one offer so it doesn’t matter.
Reply 72
On top of this as you are an international student placements will be even harder for you. Be prepared for rejections, medicine is already competitive for home students and international is even crazier. Try your best and put something else that you may enjoy as your 5th option as you can only use 4/5 of your options for med.
Excellent post in this thread by @aalimk May be useful.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7445297
(edited 2 months ago)

Ucat is the medicine entrance exam
absolutely correct
and one or two colleges even make 3 A* conditional offers
Reply 75
Original post by shvitus
On top of this as you are an international student placements will be even harder for you. Be prepared for rejections, medicine is already competitive for home students and international is even crazier. Try your best and put something else that you may enjoy as your 5th option as you can only use 4/5 of your options for med.
yee true, I am applying to Poland, Ireland, Australia. and New Zealand as a backup. I am dead set on pursuing medicine and hopefully in the UK (most of my family relatives are there). For ucas my fifth option is Biomedical Sciences at the University of Leicester (then if i do well in year 1 i can apply for transfer to Leicester med school)
Original post by MedMama
absolutely correct
and one or two colleges even make 3 A* conditional offers
should add, no stipulation that 3rd subject has to be Maths
( eg., could be Physics or another subject- usually 2 STEM one of which has to be Chemistry, but it varies by college with small number in practice needing 3 STEM subjects)
Reply 77
hello guys,

I will be applying for medicine in 2025. I am in year 12 and I do bio chem and psychology. I have heard a lot of ppl say that unis look mainly at gcses and UCAT when looking at applications. I didnt do gcse because I wasnt in the uk. I did cbse class 10 boards in 2023( I think its pretty much the equivalent of gcses in my country). can anyone with a similar experience help me out here!!
Original post by Wan bissaka
Im a year 12 student studying maths physics and chemistry and i want to get into a London uni. Almost all London unis require a level biology and so i am going to take a gap year and do a level biology in that year. I was just wondering whether imperial and kings College London would accept me for this or do all a levels have to be completed in the two years of sixth form?

kcl accept
Reply 79
Original post by kes1a__
hello guys,

I will be applying for medicine in 2025. I am in year 12 and I do bio chem and psychology. I have heard a lot of ppl say that unis look mainly at gcses and UCAT when looking at applications. I didnt do gcse because I wasnt in the uk. I did cbse class 10 boards in 2023( I think its pretty much the equivalent of gcses in my country). can anyone with a similar experience help me out here!!
Provided you get at least A*AA in your first sitting of your current A levels, pretty much all med schools would be ok with spending an extra year doing biology, but would want an A/A* if not already achieved in chem, for some

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending