The Student Room Group

Official Thread: (Undergraduate) Medicine 2025 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kes1a__
hello guys,

I will be applying for medicine in 2025. I am in year 12 and I do bio chem and psychology. I have heard a lot of ppl say that unis look mainly at gcses and UCAT when looking at applications. I didnt do gcse because I wasnt in the uk. I did cbse class 10 boards in 2023( I think its pretty much the equivalent of gcses in my country). can anyone with a similar experience help me out here!!
CBSE is fine all universities will consider it. If you have any doubt, give any of the universities are called and I'm sure they will tell you the same :smile:
Who’s started writing their personal statement yet? It’s prob a bit early still, but I’d suggest now is a good time to start thinking about what you’re going to put in there, as there’s still time to rectify any glaring gaps you identify! I’m a NHS cardiology registrar, have sat on med school interview panels and have helped students with personal statements and interview prep for >10 years now - just let me know if there’s anything I can help with!
Reply 82
Original post by ola_2007
it says 6 or 7 higher for GCSE and UCAT scores are between 2500-2700. Some uni just need students to pass the minimum requirement but again many with competitive applications will be applying as well. I will be applying to RSCI in Ireland as well, my family know friends over there so yeah but the UK got my eyes.

I found this Excel sheet with all uni (medicine) data grouped up, i even checked the uni website as well
could you share the link to the Excel sheet
Original post by stenvam
Guys what do you think the cutoff for ucat will be for oxbridge

Don't think there can be accurate predictions but it was 2890 for being in the 10% percent of people taking the UCAT last year, and seems like a reasonable estimate.

Might be above 3000 because of the increased competition.

But also, Oxford & Cambridge didn't operate hard cut offs when using the BMAT, people with a range of scores were given interview invites depending on their context. So same concept would probably be applied here, as long as your UCAT scores are higher than other people who are from similar background to you, you'd be good I think.
Reply 86
anyone like me reapplying to med in 2025?
Anyone applying for foundation year medicine?!
Original post by revadz9
Anyone applying for foundation year medicine?!

I am thinking about applying to one
Original post by applytomedicine
Who’s started writing their personal statement yet? It’s prob a bit early still, but I’d suggest now is a good time to start thinking about what you’re going to put in there, as there’s still time to rectify any glaring gaps you identify! I’m a NHS cardiology registrar, have sat on med school interview panels and have helped students with personal statements and interview prep for >10 years now - just let me know if there’s anything I can help with!

Could you please pm the details
Original post by Ramesh1975
Could you please pm the details

Hi, sure - please send me a pm
Is it too late to look for work experience in hospitals? My school says that our personal statements should be done by June, and I haven't applied to any.
Original post by fesselnd
Is it too late to look for work experience in hospitals? My school says that our personal statements should be done by June, and I haven't applied to any.

no, it’s never too late

try for some this summer or the halfterm before (if your school has a dedicated time for work experience, that’s great, you could try finding a placement during that aswell)

meanwhile, you could talk about volunteering experience or experience at a part time job? any roles you’ve done where you can talk about showing/developing the soft skills doctors are supposed to have (last resort dofe?)

then you should fill in having the understanding of what a doctor/healthcare staff’s day to day work is like by online wex like the BSMS course/RCGP course and reading books/memoirs by doctors

The deadline for submitting personal statements for Med is in October. If you can find wex over the summer (or during a half term break - less busy usually), then that will be great to bolster your application.
Reply 94
Original post by Nailea
anyone like me reapplying to med in 2025?

I’m not reapplying but I did the ucat in 2023 and I’m in my last year of school but decided to apply for 2025 entry
i thought the ucat was only valid for the year you write it in, so you'd have to rewrite it this year for 2025 entry?
Sorry IDK if someone's already asked this question but when is too early to start preparing for UCAS
I actually have no idea where to start
😰
Original post by amateur-supporte
Sorry IDK if someone's already asked this question but when is too early to start preparing for UCAS
I actually have no idea where to start
😰

i mean probably writing your ps and starting ucat prep would be the first steps right? my school said do personal statements by june and get it out the way early so you're not multitasking with ucat prep and school revision too
Reply 98
Original post by azure000
i thought the ucat was only valid for the year you write it in, so you'd have to rewrite it this year for 2025 entry?

oops yeah forgot to say I’m doing it again this year. I did it last year for practice

Not at all.

Also bear in mind that the number of med schools which use Personal Statements in determining invitation to interview is quite low indeed.

For most med schools it's how you reflect on that work experience at Interview that matters. So that means you've realistically got til November minimum to get that work experience in. Look at the RCGP reflection diary, look at the values of medical students and Doctors and think about those values and how you would evidence them.at interview. Foe lots of people that's working in a people facing role that may well not be at hospital waitering /Maccies type thing gives some gret experience with people.
What experience do you have in a caring environment. Volunteering in a care home.may give you better reflection points than shadowing in a hospital for example.

On the early PS completion. I understand the rationale but the single most important thing in medicine is to apply strategically. That strategy can only be determined once you have your UCAT score as the vast majority of med schools determine invitations to interview on UCAT / GCSE with a sprinkling of contextual factors over the top.

So when you have your UCAT score come back and look at the which medical school should I apply to thread and get some useful targeted help. Have a read of this years posts to see how important it is.

Your strategic recommendations may or may not be one of the few medical schools that look at other factors such as PS or additional information forms. This means two things.

1) if you can do your UCAT earlier in the summer and get your strategic reccs you can then build your work experience around that to get a more targeted application.

2) if your recc. Med school is one that considers / scores the PS it will need to be targeted to it and make sure that you write it to meet their requirements. So having a final final PS in June might not be great.

Find out when the realistic last date your schools accepts early entry applications. It may be an awful lot earlier than you think. Early Sept is not unusual so they can do their references etc. So plan your summer plan your best UCAT sit date and give your self time after you sit it to tailor your application appropriately.

hth
(edited 2 days ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending