The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield Scholarship 2023

Hi, I'm applying for the Sheffield £10,000 scholarship and just wanted to know if anyone else has too. How do they choose students?

I'm torn between where I did my undergraduate (uni of York) and Sheffield. Sheffield actually seems to make an effort In being inclusive and diverse and my mum lives in Barnsley so I could save money and live with her as the course is part-time. However my bf is doing a PhD at York and I much prefer a campus atmosphere. But York is crap at actually supporting poor students and accomodation is very expensive. I'd be regularly visiting my bf, but Barnsley is very cheap to live. But not very many part time jobs compared to York. Tough decision aahh.
Original post by FrenchSquid
Hi, I'm applying for the Sheffield £10,000 scholarship and just wanted to know if anyone else has too. How do they choose students?

I'm torn between where I did my undergraduate (uni of York) and Sheffield. Sheffield actually seems to make an effort In being inclusive and diverse and my mum lives in Barnsley so I could save money and live with her as the course is part-time. However my bf is doing a PhD at York and I much prefer a campus atmosphere. But York is crap at actually supporting poor students and accomodation is very expensive. I'd be regularly visiting my bf, but Barnsley is very cheap to live. But not very many part time jobs compared to York. Tough decision aahh.

Hi there!

Im Georgia, a 4th year masters student. I actually got a scholarship for my masters to cover the tuition fee for the year! Sadly I wasn't able to claim it as it was conditional to me graduating with a 1st and i only actually came our with a 2:1. So might be worth fully understanding the conditions of the scholarship beforehand!

But you are right Sheffield is super supportive of students, especially people like me who come from a working class background. Even if you weren't to get the scholarship there are lots of things you can apply for throughout your 3 years here so it might be worth looking into these in comparison to York. Its also worth mentioning that although york is a campus set up as you mentioned, Sheffield is technically a campus/city uni as all the buildings are within 1 mile of each-other so as a student i can defiantly say it has that community vibe you can feel at campus unis.

In terms of jobs it also worth mentioning you can quite easily travel outside of Barnsley for work opportunities, i work at Meadowhall with lots of students who live in Barnsley as it is only a train ride away!

Hope that helps, let me know if there is anything else!
Georgia :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi there!

Im Georgia, a 4th year masters student. I actually got a scholarship for my masters to cover the tuition fee for the year! Sadly I wasn't able to claim it as it was conditional to me graduating with a 1st and i only actually came our with a 2:1. So might be worth fully understanding the conditions of the scholarship beforehand!

But you are right Sheffield is super supportive of students, especially people like me who come from a working class background. Even if you weren't to get the scholarship there are lots of things you can apply for throughout your 3 years here so it might be worth looking into these in comparison to York. Its also worth mentioning that although york is a campus set up as you mentioned, Sheffield is technically a campus/city uni as all the buildings are within 1 mile of each-other so as a student i can defiantly say it has that community vibe you can feel at campus unis.

In terms of jobs it also worth mentioning you can quite easily travel outside of Barnsley for work opportunities, i work at Meadowhall with lots of students who live in Barnsley as it is only a train ride away!

Hope that helps, let me know if there is anything else!
Georgia :smile:

I don't think there are any conditions for me. I have been working for nearly a year on an internship (so out of education) but what i do fits with the course. I work in a social mobility charity and looking to do the social research MA so fits well. As ive already graduated with a 2:1 from Uni of York they gave me a unconditional offer and i fit the scholarship remit perfect. They haven't said I need to do anything else. I hope i get it as then all i have to worry about is earning enough money to live/bills. can't live at home even though i'm local as it's not the best environment for me, which sucks as i would save so much money but it would take a toll on my mental health. Hoping to move out of home to Sheffield or outskirts, Sheffield is where I am going to now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending