The Student Room Group

Medicine 2024 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by mikoimran
i thought u automatically get into medicine despite the ucat score if u go do clinical science. did u choose some other course or the same one

The universities that have had students transfer from the scheme at Bradford are Sheffield, Leeds, Hull York, Brighton and Sussex, and UEA (from Bradford website, they were quite vague about it though). Each uni will all have their own requirements eg. must get above 4th decile with 75% course average to receive an interview invite so make sure to research them. I doubt they will let any UCAT score as even for Sheffield they say must meet the UCAT threshold for them and last year that was 2850... All in all, if you wanna do med the risk of being stuck on a course you don't wanna do is not worth it. I'm going off of the advice many people have given me. But that doesn't mean transferring isn't possible, it's there as another route to med. I got my offer for the foundation in clinical sciences as that was in clearing at the time.
Original post by medic0975
Gap year things - I worked in 2 different jobs (most people recommend HCA, GP/dentist receptionist but to be honest, it doesn't really matter what you do, it's the experience (and skill set) you get out of it that matter. I didn't really change my personal statement that much, added about what I was doing - 2 jobs. Also I would recommend starting working in the summer so you can write about what you have done and what you intend on doing. I didn't change what I did for the UCAT - just prepared using Medify but my problem first time round was burning out so this time I only did 4 weeks preparation. I wouldn't say universities demand you to write anything in your personal statement, but having a gap year is always useful to draw experience from. Most universities don't really look at achieved grades (although there might be a select few that do), you'll just get an unconditional offer instead of a conditional one. A gap year goes by really fast so it'll be over really quickly but just keep busy is my advice and keep in touch with friends. Make some friends on TSR and you can all support each other through the horrendous application process again! I personally couldn't have done it without @Jessi2004 or @Faisal101! In terms of mistakes, I didn't really get the balance right between UCAT, academic grades and interview preparation. But don't stress too much about all this, you still stand a chance of getting into medical school this cycle! Best of luck. :smile:

🥹🥹
hi, i wanted some advice from people who retook the ucat and got good score the second time. because this year i got 2500 and prepared for two months 2-4 hours i was wondering when should i start revising this year because i need to focus on my alevel exams as well. and what did u guys do differently that helped you achieve good score
hi, i wanted some advice from people who retook the ucat and got good score the second time. because this year i got 2500 and prepared for two months 2-4 hours i was wondering when should i start revising this year because i need to focus on my alevel exams as well. and what did u guys do differently that helped you achieve good score

Absolutely focus on your A levels now, forget all about UCAT until they are finished ( & even then I would suggest a break ). I think the time you gave to UCAT is fine, just need to tweak your strategy next time. 2500 is not a bad score ( average ), some have been lucky with that score & been offered a place.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by HopefulHarry
Absolutely focus on your A levels now, forget all about UCAT until they are finished ( & even then I would suggest a break ). I think the time you gave to UCAT is fine, just need to tweak your strategy next time. 2500 is not a bad score ( average ), some have been lucky with that score & been offered a place.

Ok, if would make sure I prioritise alevels. But should I start revising in July doing 4 hours everyday, but can I start doing 20 minutes of verbal reasoning everyday as I got 510 in that section this year and I saw no improvement even tho I would give it so much time and follow the technique for this section
Reply 225
Have any BMAT unis given offers yet ???
Ok, if would make sure I prioritise alevels. But should I start revising in July doing 4 hours everyday, but can I start doing 20 minutes of verbal reasoning everyday as I got 510 in that section this year and I saw no improvement even tho I would give it so much time and follow the technique for this section

Focus on your A levels and FORGET the UCAT until after your A levels are all done. Don't even think about UCAT. Just focus on getting the best A level grades.
Original post by APPLICANT2016
Focus on your A levels and FORGET the UCAT until after your A levels are all done. Don't even think about UCAT. Just focus on getting the best A level grades.

This is most important thing to do
Hi I was wondering if anyone went travelling in their gap year whilst applying for medicine? I have been unsuccessful this year but had applied for 2025 entry anyway as I had a plan to take a year out, earn money for a few months and then go travel for around 4 or 5 months. Originally I wanted to go January time but interviews could be anytime between November and March. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this? I want to reapply but also don't want to miss out on travelling.
Hello I heard that ucas can see your resits(retake) grades and I wanted to ask is it possible to leave them out of your application especially if you took the (international IGCSE and international O-levels /IAS/IAL) instead of the standard national ones
Original post by Springback
Hello I heard that ucas can see your resits(retake) grades and I wanted to ask is it possible to leave them out of your application especially if you took the (international IGCSE and international O-levels /IAS/IAL) instead of the standard national ones

No, you sign to say you have included all qualifications on your UCAS form, so it is fraudulent to leave any out and can result in an application being made void

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending