The Student Room Group

Medicine 2024 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Any thoughts on this, daughter received four offers for medicine and firmed Nottingham and Manchester as insurance, now she's super worried wont hit the grades, if this is the case would it still be worth her calling around the uni's she had offers from just in case they would take her with a reduced offer?

Many thanks
Original post by Toto2003
Any thoughts on this, daughter received four offers for medicine and firmed Nottingham and Manchester as insurance, now she's super worried wont hit the grades, if this is the case would it still be worth her calling around the uni's she had offers from just in case they would take her with a reduced offer?

Many thanks

You can try but probs won’t result in much. But it’s okay because your daughter will get 3a*
if potentially grades aren't met and I still wanna apply do I just get a tutor to predict an A grade for resitting etc or do I go through my previous sixth form?
Original post by cutetulip
if potentially grades aren't met and I still wanna apply do I just get a tutor to predict an A grade for resitting etc or do I go through my previous sixth form?

You should be able to go through your previous sixth form if you're resitting your exams through them. You can confirm this by getting in touch with your sixth form as well :hugs:

It might be different for you, but with my sixth form I can resit through them but they'll only predict me the same as I was predicted originally as they won't have any solid evidence to base a new prediction off
as in they will be able to predict my grade if need be ?
Original post by KA_P
You should be able to go through your previous sixth form if you're resitting your exams through them. You can confirm this by getting in touch with your sixth form as well :hugs:
as in they will be able to predict my grade if need be ?

Yes, but of course confirm this with the sixth form for accurate information
I saw some days back a post with a list of unis that accept resits.
Can someone post it here if they come across it.
Thanks
I got ABB and want to get bio remarked as its 1 mark off an A. If that goes to an AAB if I resit maths to get the A is that a good option. I was only 10 marks off an A this time and I must say grade boundaries are insane.
Original post by Emily_210567
I got ABB and want to get bio remarked as its 1 mark off an A. If that goes to an AAB if I resit maths to get the A is that a good option. I was only 10 marks off an A this time and I must say grade boundaries are insane.

Yes resit- but be wary of which medical schools accept resits and that some will require A*AA if you have resat
Original post by Hotheaded
Yes resit- but be wary of which medical schools accept resits and that some will require A*AA if you have resat

Okay, thank you very much for the advice. I really appreciate it 🙏
Reply 91
Original post by Worriermum
I saw some days back a post with a list of unis that accept resits.
Can someone post it here if they come across it.
Thanks

Make your own. All the information is on the websites of each med school
Reply 92
Have a question, so for example nottingham allows resits, if you ABB and they require AAA in one sitting, does that mean that you must sit all 3 a levels again or can you just sit the 2 that you got BB in? thankyou
Original post by sara174
Have a question, so for example nottingham allows resits, if you ABB and they require AAA in one sitting, does that mean that you must sit all 3 a levels again or can you just sit the 2 that you got BB in? thankyou

Nottigham medical school states:
“We'll consider resits of a maximum of two subjects as long as you have: completed your IB in the last 12 months. achieved 34 total points overall. obtained 6,5,5 at Higher Level with a 6 in chemistry or biology the other one being at level 5.”

You must have achieved and A in bio or chem also initially
Reply 94
Original post by Hotheaded
Nottigham medical school states:
“We'll consider resits of a maximum of two subjects as long as you have: completed your IB in the last 12 months. achieved 34 total points overall. obtained 6,5,5 at Higher Level with a 6 in chemistry or biology the other one being at level 5.”

You must have achieved and A in bio or chem also initially

thank you for your reply. so i am just a mum and perhaps my understanding is not enough. but my son is not doing IB? so he did get A in both bio and chem but his 3rd subject was a B. so my question is assuming he gets a better ucat and able to apply to notts for example will they require him to sit all 3 a levels again or just the one that he got a B in and bring that upto an A.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 95
What does it mean for re-sitters.
Can universities see that you are re-sitting hence not select you. Can they discriminate?
Reply 96
Original post by sara174
thank you for your reply. so i am just a mum and perhaps my understanding is not enough. but my son is not doing IB? so he did get A in both bio and chem but his 3rd subject was a B. so my question is assuming he gets a better ucat and able to apply to notts for example will they require him to sit all 3 a levels again or just the one that he got a B in and bring that upto an A.

Just the one he got a B in. Nowhere now specifies all 3 must be resat, I don’t think
Reply 97
Original post by GANFYD
Just the one he got a B in. Nowhere now specifies all 3 must be resat, I don’t think

thankyou so much. devastated to have to go thru this all again. there should have been some kind of warning that the boundaries would jump so much.
Reply 98
Original post by sara174
thankyou so much. devastated to have to go thru this all again. there should have been some kind of warning that the boundaries would jump so much.

It is so tough, and big hugs to you and your son, but it was announced at the start of 2022 academic year that grades would go back to 2019 levels this year (with a half way reset last year), and they have remained just above that and teachers should have been predicting based on this. I have a bigger issue with the fact Wales and NI have not gone back to 2019 levels yet, so there is a considerable discrepancy in grade ratios, with far more A*s and As in these countries.

A gap year is almost always a good thing and allows time, headspace, maturing, earning some money and going through the process knowing what to expect, so whilst it is devastating now, hopefully this time next year, things will feel very different.
Good luck (to you both!) and do ask if you have any questions :hugs:
Reply 99
Original post by GANFYD
It is so tough, and big hugs to you and your son, but it was announced at the start of 2022 academic year that grades would go back to 2019 levels this year (with a half way reset last year), and they have remained just above that and teachers should have been predicting based on this. I have a bigger issue with the fact Wales and NI have not gone back to 2019 levels yet, so there is a considerable discrepancy in grade ratios, with far more A*s and As in these countries.

A gap year is almost always a good thing and allows time, headspace, maturing, earning some money and going through the process knowing what to expect, so whilst it is devastating now, hopefully this time next year, things will feel very different.
Good luck (to you both!) and do ask if you have any questions :hugs:

thank you x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending