The Student Room Group

A100 Medicine for International Students 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by KA_P
This is the 2024 Medicine entry thread for international students, please feel free to ask any questions and help build an international applicant community.

Click here for last year's thread
Click here for the 2022 thread
Click here for the 2021 thread

The below information may be taken from the first link:
Please use this space to post your statistics once the time comes, using the template (originally made by @ecolier) below as an example with statistics, interviews and offers. This will be extremely useful for which medical schools to apply, offer dates, interviews, etc.

Applied: (date)
UCAT: (your UCAT results)
BMAT: (your BMAT results)
GCSEs/Equivalent: (your GCSEs)
A-Levels/ Degree / Equivalent : (your A-Levels)

University 1 / UCAS code
Date: (date) | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: (date) | Reply: Interview invite / etc.
Date: (date) | Reply: Offer / Rejection

University 2 / UCAS code

University 3 / UCAS code

University 4 / UCAS code

University 5 (Your backup) / UCAS code

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Best of luck!

Hi,
I am studying in American Curriculum and will be applying to Med schools for 2024 entry. I currently have 5s in AP Them and AP Math. I have 4 AP Physics. I am also taking other APs this year and hope to have 2 more 5s.

I gave my UCAT last week and secured 2910 with SJT Band 1.
I have narrowed down to 6 school choices - Manchester, Aberdeen, Leicester, Liverpool, Newcastle and Sheffield. Pls suggest the 4 Med schools that will most likely grant me admission/interviews. If I have missed considering any school - pls let me know

Thank you
Reply 81
Original post by Dawnpatrol
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what unis to apply for. I am an international student and these are my stats:

UCAT: 2820 B2
predicted A levels: Chemistry, Biology, Spanish 3 A*
11 GCSES: all 9s

I was thinking about applying to Manchester, Glasgow, Liverpool and Cardiff. However, would that be too risky as Manchester and Glasgow only rank using UCAT. I've also heard that the interview : offer ratio in Liverpool is especially low but I haven't been able to find the ratio for international students. Is it really true?
Previously, I considered Leicester or Dundee as one of the options but I still haven't fully decided yet. I would really appreciate any suggestions or advice!!! Thank you so much!

Manchester UCAT cut off for international for 2023 entry was 2780 so a bit risky. Glasgow cut off for international for 2022 entry was 2900 so best to avoid. Cardiff is good. Leicester and Dundee are ok. Also consider St Andrew, Aberdeen, QUB. Liverpool interviewed 150 international students for 23 places in the past so you have to decide whether you like the university enough to apply there.
Where can I find the list of universities that do not consider SJT Band?

is Glasgow one of them?
Reply 83
Original post by joelee0977

is Glasgow one of them?

Southampton doesn't give weightage to SJT scores. Not sure about Glasgow
Original post by mlgboi
Hello kind reader,
Im an international y13 student who would really like to study in the uk. Im posting this to ask for advice on what unis i would be better off applying to. I am hoping there is a chance for me in bristol, but i dont want to waste an option on a uni that most likely wont accept me, so i would like to know your thoughts. I also had southampton and Leics in mind, but again i have no idea how competitive any of these unis are when it comes to international applications. Here are my stats:

UCAT - 2950 B2
VR 610
DM 730
QR 730
AR 880

IGCSES (8)
A* Maths
A* Bio
A* Chem
A* Business
A* ICT
A* Physics
A* ESL
A* Environmental Management

AS Levels
A Math
A Bio
A Chem

PREDICTED A Levels
A* Math
A* Bio
A* Chem

I only have a 1 week ophthalmology observership as work experience.

non-contextual

what are good options for me? do i have safe options or is every uni risky for me? Im asking especially since international applications are so much more competitive than i thought. Thanks in advance

Hey Exeter, soton Leicester Qub QMUL Aston Newcastle Nottingham and Sheffield all good options

Bristol cutoff was 2960 for intls so depends how risk tolerant you are and how much you really fancy it

Original post by NGKT
British universities are generally very transparent about their admission policies and statistics for previous year application can usually be found on their websites. Please search and read through them carefully. Pay special attention to the statistics for international applicants which are different from home students.

You are above UCAT cut off for Liverpool and St George's for 2023 cycle. Almost all international students who were interviewed at King's had UCAT >3000, so avoid.
Consider Aberdeen, St Andrew's, Dundee and QUB.

Thanks @NGKT! I’d also add Plymouth Leicester Aston (Brunel uclan Buckingham -all direct applications)
Uea may also be ok but they use UCAT 50% post interview so you’d have to interview well

exeter as well
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 85
Original post by joelee0977

is Glasgow one of them?

Yes. Please read previous thread. You can find the information easily from the respective universities' websites. It only takes 5-10minutes for each university.
Reply 86
Original post by Chi chi5
Hey Exeter, soton Leicester Qub QMUL Aston Newcastle Nottingham and Sheffield all good options

Bristol cutoff was 2960 for intls so depends how risk tolerant you are and how much you really fancy it

Thanks @NGKT! I’d also add Plymouth Leicester Aston (Brunel uclan Buckingham -all direct applications)
Uea may also be ok but they use UCAT (0% post interview so you’d have to interview well

exeter as well

I would avoid Nottingham unless the applicant achieved SJT band 1.
Original post by NGKT
I would avoid Nottingham unless the applicant achieved SJT band 1.

I thought they did? 😊
Reply 88
Original post by NGKT
British universities are generally very transparent about their admission policies and statistics for previous year application can usually be found on their websites. Please search and read through them carefully. Pay special attention to the statistics for international applicants which are different from home students.
Your statistics should secure you four interviews if you apply strategically.
UCAT Cut off for last application cycle for Bristol was 2960 so it is very risky.
Southhampton and Leicester are good.
Consider Sheffield(2840 for 2023 entry), UEA, Aberdeen, Newcastle(2600 for 2023 but much higher in previous cycles), Dundee, Barts (2870 for 2023 entry), SGUL (2630 for 2023).
Good luck!

Thank you so much man, really appreciate it
Reply 89
Need some guidance on choosing schools.
I am an international student.

I gave my UCAT last week and secured 2910 with SJT Band 1.
I have narrowed down to 6 school choices - Manchester, Aberdeen, Leicester, Liverpool, Newcastle and Sheffield. Pls suggest the 4 Med schools that will most likely grant me admission/interviews. If I have missed considering any school - pls let me know.

Thank you
Reply 90

Uea may also be ok but they use UCAT (0% post interview so you’d have to interview well

exeter as well

Thank you @Chi chi5 for your 2nd response to my 2nd reply to the thread, sorry to have took up your time. I guess I’m just gonna have to accept there’s no chance for me at Bristol. It’s especially disappointing since I had initially thought using the national cutoff that I could get an interview in almost any med school I wanted. I still have good options tho alhamdulillah, hopefully this is for the best. Don’t think I’ll have Bristol as an option anymore. Thank you!
a
Original post by mlgboi
Thank you @Chi chi5 for your 2nd response to my 2nd reply to the thread, sorry to have took up your time. I guess I’m just gonna have to accept there’s no chance for me at Bristol. It’s especially disappointing since I had initially thought using the national cutoff that I could get an interview in almost any med school I wanted. I still have good options tho alhamdulillah, hopefully this is for the best. Don’t think I’ll have Bristol as an option anymore. Thank you!

hey dont worry about it x

alhamdulillah indeed, im sorry bristol isnt in the cards for you as youd hoped but you have great options, trust me I know how disappointing it can be. remember the goal is to get a place in medicine, not bristol, or any other specific uni xx

best of luck on your application!
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by NGKT
Manchester UCAT cut off for international for 2023 entry was 2780 so a bit risky. Glasgow cut off for international for 2022 entry was 2900 so best to avoid. Cardiff is good. Leicester and Dundee are ok. Also consider St Andrew, Aberdeen, QUB. Liverpool interviewed 150 international students for 23 places in the past so you have to decide whether you like the university enough to apply there.

Thank you so much for your advice! I really appreciate it!!!!
Reply 93
a

hey dont worry about it x

alhamdulillah indeed, im sorry bristol isnt in the cards for you as youd hoped but you have great options, trust me I know how disappointing it can be. remember the goal is to get a place in medicine, not bristol, or any other specific uni xx

best of luck on your application!

Thank You!!!
Reply 94
but are you stating a level equivalents or gcse equivalents??

Hey sorry just saw this, Im stating A level requirements
Reply 95
I need gcse equivalents to score you for Aston Lincoln Qub bham ect

Okay I will try to get you that, can you reccomend any and all university that take Band 4?? Maybe Ill research on my own while you take your time?
Reply 96
I need gcse equivalents to score you for Aston Lincoln Qub bham ect

Okay I cannot really convert it that well, Since i got 95% in all subjects, I would say roughly
Biology = 9
Chemistry = 9
Physics = 8.5
English = 8.5
Mathematics = 9
Original post by Nithinnnn
Okay I cannot really convert it that well, Since i got 95% in all subjects, I would say roughly
Biology = 9
Chemistry = 9
Physics = 8.5
English = 8.5
Mathematics = 9

plymouth aston qub aberdeen accept band 4 and are worth checking against
please respond to this will full stats so were not going back and forth looking for the info cheers x
Reply 98
plymouth aston qub aberdeen accept band 4 and are worth checking against
please respond to this will full stats so were not going back and forth looking for the info cheers x

Need more Med school choices
UCAT - 2540 with Band 4
GCSE - Biology = 9
Chemistry = 9
Physics = 8.5
English = 8.5
Mathematics = 9

Was thinking about Aston, Cardiff, Keele, Lincoln?

Can you give me more choices?
Reply 99
Original post by Nithinnnn
Need more Med school choices
UCAT - 2540 with Band 4
GCSE - Biology = 9
Chemistry = 9
Physics = 8.5
English = 8.5
Mathematics = 9

Was thinking about Aston, Cardiff, Keele, Lincoln?

Can you give me more choices?

Keele and Lincoln do not accept a B4. Nobody can give you more choices if they are not realistic options - I mean, you can choose from all of them, but people are trying to suggest places where you may be shortlisted, but a B4 and 6th decile UCAT limit options and even more so for internationals

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending