The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Questions about Insurance and Accommodation

Hi everyone,

I am glad to receive an offer from Northumbria University for the Doctorate of Design. I will be an international student.

I have 2 questions.

1. Insurance

In the offer letter the university recommends that I take out insurance:

"INSURANCE

It is important you take out appropriate insurance cover in case of any eventualities that may occur while you are studying in the UK. If you do not have adequate insurance then you or your family will be liable for covering such costs. There is no medical nor life insurance automatically provided to students at Northumbria and insurance is not included in your tuition fees."

As an international student applying for a Student Visa, I will be paying the IHS (International Health Surcharge) so I will be eligible to use NHS. So why is the university recommending that I take out additional insurance?

2. Accommodation.

How long do I make the contract for accommodation for an apartment not provided by the university? 43 weeks or longer?

Thank you.
The IHS will cover you for health treatment in the UK. It won’t cover the costs of medical transport home if you need to go home or (if the worst happens) to transport your body back home in the case of death.

Likewise you should have insurance for your belongings in case of accident or theft
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
The IHS will cover you for health treatment in the UK. It won’t cover the costs of medical transport home if you need to go home or (if the worst happens) to transport your body back home in the case of death.

Likewise you should have insurance for your belongings in case of accident or theft

Thank you PQ. So I would take out additional medical insurance plus insurance for belongings etc. That would be quite a monthly charge.

Are you familiar with a company that provides both?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending