The Student Room Group
University of York
York

How quickly does York Accommodation run out?

Hi all! Hope everyone is well. Does any current student know how competitive accommodation is at the university? I applied in mid April where the accommodation this year opened on the 28th of February. Needless to say, that is a decent time after opening. Unfortunately though, I did not have all of my offers until mid April so couldn't apply. I have mainly gone Band 4 on the East campus, so I was wondering if I will manage to get it given the late booking. Any help is appreciated!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all! Hope everyone is well. Does any current student know how competitive accommodation is at the university? I applied in mid April where the accommodation this year opened on the 28th of February. Needless to say, that is a decent time after opening. Unfortunately though, I did not have all of my offers until mid April so couldn't apply. I have mainly gone Band 4 on the East campus, so I was wondering if I will manage to get it given the late booking. Any help is appreciated!

Hi!

There's no simple answer to this question, sorry! There are so many different factors when it comes to accommodation. Some options are more popular than others and there are more rooms in some colleges than others. Lots of people choose Campus West since most of our departments are based there, but others prefer to be on Campus East in our newer accommodation.

If most of your options are Band 4, then there's a good chance you will get one of those options, but there's no way to tell until after results day. Rooms are allocated taking into account the date you applied and I think accommodation choices were open until some time in June, so there will be lots of people who applied after you (but also some before).

I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Hazel :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by University of York
Hi!

There's no simple answer to this question, sorry! There are so many different factors when it comes to accommodation. Some options are more popular than others and there are more rooms in some colleges than others. Lots of people choose Campus West since most of our departments are based there, but others prefer to be on Campus East in our newer accommodation.

If most of your options are Band 4, then there's a good chance you will get one of those options, but there's no way to tell until after results day. Rooms are allocated taking into account the date you applied and I think accommodation choices were open until some time in June, so there will be lots of people who applied after you (but also some before).

I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Hazel :smile:

Thank you very much!
Reply 3

Hi! It's a little outdated (by about a year) but the tab has published an article detailing the most popular colleges by application which should give you a rough indication of competitiveness: https://thetab.com/uk/york/2022/03/11/revealed-the-most-and-least-popular-york-colleges-27809#:~:text=Coming%20in%20at%20first%20place,down%20as%20their%20first%20choice.

It should be noted that the list on the tab article doesn't include admission numbers for Lister or Kato, which by virtue of them being quite swanky new builds make them likely to be quite popular, so I'd keep it in mind that these two colleges are also likely to be fairly competitive relative to the other east colleges. I don't know many people who applied to East colleges and didn't get in - if all of your preferences are for east colleges then you're bound to get one of them, probably one in your top 3. As for late applications, I applied for colleges on results day and selected Kato as my first preference and I got it (though this may have been because spaces were freed up due to missing grades etc), so I think there is an element of pure luck to it too, but I'm not really sure how the University allocates colleges, but I wouldn't worry about anything.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions about York then feel free to ask !
Reply 4
Original post by Sir_Sharky
Hi! It's a little outdated (by about a year) but the tab has published an article detailing the most popular colleges by application which should give you a rough indication of competitiveness: https://thetab.com/uk/york/2022/03/11/revealed-the-most-and-least-popular-york-colleges-27809#:~:text=Coming%20in%20at%20first%20place,down%20as%20their%20first%20choice.

It should be noted that the list on the tab article doesn't include admission numbers for Lister or Kato, which by virtue of them being quite swanky new builds make them likely to be quite popular, so I'd keep it in mind that these two colleges are also likely to be fairly competitive relative to the other east colleges. I don't know many people who applied to East colleges and didn't get in - if all of your preferences are for east colleges then you're bound to get one of them, probably one in your top 3. As for late applications, I applied for colleges on results day and selected Kato as my first preference and I got it (though this may have been because spaces were freed up due to missing grades etc), so I think there is an element of pure luck to it too, but I'm not really sure how the University allocates colleges, but I wouldn't worry about anything.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions about York then feel free to ask !

Hi, how soon did you hear on your accommodation? I applied on results day too (yesterday) so also hoping for some luck on this one!
Reply 5
Original post by jenicks131
Hi, how soon did you hear on your accommodation? I applied on results day too (yesterday) so also hoping for some luck on this one!

I have the same issue, i got into york through my insurance but only applied to accom yesterday, do you know if ill get priority over clearing or how that works?
Reply 6
Original post by Luc1dRats
I have the same issue, i got into york through my insurance but only applied to accom yesterday, do you know if ill get priority over clearing or how that works?

i applied results day too bc york is my insurance!! praying we all get an offer 🙏🙏i’m probs gonna ring up tmr and ask on the situation
Reply 7
Original post by lyds4356
i applied results day too bc york is my insurance!! praying we all get an offer 🙏🙏i’m probs gonna ring up tmr and ask on the situation

Hope you get some too! I emailed today but i imagine they're busy with all the clearing applicants too, ill let u know if I get a response, and btw my insta is the same username if you want to chat about York or anything :smile:

Hi would you mind sharing what you ended up getting? I got into Langwith College which is a band 4 on the east campus. It is a bit out of my budget and was wondering if you were interested in swapping. If anyone else is, please contact me
Reply 9

I’m sort of in a similar situation!! I got into York (which was my firm) but they changed my course as I didn’t get the grades for the one I wanted. I only accepted the offer yesterday and now I’m scared I won’t get one of my top accommodations 🥲 I tried ringing up today but they don’t work over the weekend so I’ll have to try Monday
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 10

Yea I also only applied to accommodation on results day has anyone gotten any offers of accommodation since results day how long do you think I should expect to wait?
Original post by Muradmoshsin
Hi would you mind sharing what you ended up getting? I got into Langwith College which is a band 4 on the east campus. It is a bit out of my budget and was wondering if you were interested in swapping. If anyone else is, please contact me

Hi I got York as my insurance...accommodation office said insurance accomm offers going out in the next few days....I wanted band 4 so dependent on what I get I would be up for swapping.
Original post by JoP11
Yea I also only applied to accommodation on results day has anyone gotten any offers of accommodation since results day how long do you think I should expect to wait?

Hi I applied results day, emailed accomm office they said insurance offers going out early next week ie. from tomorrow
Reply 13
Original post by jenicks131
Hi I applied results day, emailed accomm office they said insurance offers going out early next week ie. from tomorrow

If anyone else hasn’t received an accommodation offer for first year please let me know - I haven’t either and I’m looking for flatmates to share a house with
Original post by Oófie
If anyone else hasn’t received an accommodation offer for first year please let me know - I haven’t either and I’m looking for flatmates to share a house with

I also didn't receive an offer and I'm looking to share a house with other first years - are you still looking for flatmates?
Original post by Oófie

Hey I received your private message but for some reason tsr isn't letting me respond to it? Could you send me your email or instagram through private message and i can contact you through that instead?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending