The Student Room Group

Need some advice on my current situation.

Alright, i guess ill start it here, I applied for 5 universities and unfortunately got rejected from 3. Course is Computer Science BTW.
Predicted: AAB (CS, Graphics, Business)

I applied to:
-Uni Of Nottingham (rejected due to competition) - MAIN CHOICE
-Uni Of Leeds (rejected due to a GCSE grade - maths at 5 rather than a 6) - SECOND
-Uni Of Sheffield (rejected due to a GCSE grade - maths at 5 rather than a 6) - THIRD
-Uni of Aberystwyth (Accepted) - 1st Backup
-Uni of Bangor (Accepted) - 2nd Backup

Today i spoke with my Progress Tutor in college about my current options and im hoping you guys could help me with some thoughts im having.

Option #1: UCAS Extra:
This would mean declining my current offers in order to apply to another university. I could call different Unis that still have vacancies to check if they would consider me however im limited in choices. I would have until June 30th i believe for this.

Option #2: Clearing:
Im sure most of you reading this already know about clearing and so i wont go into detail, but its pretty much the same as above just later.

Option #3: Gap Year:
Taking a year out, possibly resitting my maths GCSE this november. However the advice i would need for this is "What would i do during this time?" My current thoughts are:
-Get a job.
-Volunteer work.
-Doing some personal projects and self learning more CS related stuff.
- ? Really not sure what else.

Option #4: take an offer i have:
-I may be unhappy with it and im not sure i want to take these offers.

If i have any other options you know of that would be great to hear, im not sure there are any though.

Thank you!
(edited 1 year ago)
Without AL Maths or a higher GCSE grade your choices for CS at Uni will always be limited.

Go to Aber or Bangor - both perfectly good Unis and you'll have a great time at either.
I used Ucas extra, and I got in first time, I then went on to use clearing as I changed my mind, and got in first time again, I would say that they are definitely options that can work.
I would say it depends . If you really want to go Nottingham I would consider a gap year. Have you also considered a foundation year? Alot of unis do it, including Nottingham for computer science and other course. The entry requirements are usually lower or for people who don’t take a level maths. Other good unis such as Leeds, Southampton, Nottingham, Manchester, ucl etc do them.
after the foundation year , you profess straight into the course and still get the uni experience . Plus you learn a bit extra too
I applied for one for civil (different variations ). Let me know if you need more info!
Here goes

Doing a computer course without A level Maths is very restricted.

Where top universities accept you with just GCSE they expect a reasonably high grade. If you do not meet it you will be automatically rejected as you have found out. You foolishly applied to 2 universities you didnt meet the entry requirement that you were never going to get into.

Nobody can really tell you what to do as different people have different requirements. My personal view is to take what you have been offered.

Your other choice is to decline Bangor and Aberystwyth and apply through extra. The problem is there are only limited universities in extra and there will be less in clearing.

If you want to take a gap year you still wont be accepted without a higher grade in GCSE.

I put this together a couple of years ago. Some things might have changed but it might help you coming to a decision.

Computer Science without A Level Maths

Aberystwyth grade C or4 GCSE
Aston grade 4 GCSE
Cardiff grade 6 GCSE
East Anglia grade 5 GCSE. Accepts A level in Computing Science and other subjects
Keele grade 4 GCSE
Kent grade 4 GCSE
Lancaster grade 6 GCSE
Leeds grade 6 GCSE Accepts Computing
Liverpool grade 4 GCSE Accepts Computer science
Newcastle grade 6 GCSE
Nottingham grade 5 Accepts Computing
Queen Mary grade 5 Accepts Computer Science
Reading Maths, Physics or Computer Science grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 6 accepts CS, Maths or Physics
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 6 in Maths or Physics

As can be seen there are very little options unless you have grade 6 GCSE Maths and nothing is going to much better than Aber.
Original post by LeviLM
Alright, i guess ill start it here, I applied for 5 universities and unfortunately got rejected from 3. Course is Computer Science BTW.

I applied to:
-Uni Of Leeds (rejected due to a GCSE grade - maths at 5 rather than a 6) - SECOND
-Uni Of Sheffield (rejected due to a GCSE grade - maths at 5 rather than a 6) - THIRD

Today i spoke with my Progress Tutor in college about my current options and im hoping you guys could help me with some thoughts im having.

This would mean declining my current offers in order to apply to another university. I could call different Unis that still have vacancies to check if they would consider me however im limited in choices. I would have until June 30th i believe for this.

Im sure most of you reading this already know about clearing and so i wont go into detail, but its pretty much the same as above just later.

Taking a year out, possibly resitting my maths GCSE this november. However the advice i would need for this is "What would i do during this time?" My current thoughts are:
-Get a job.
-Volunteer work.

If i have any other options you know of that would be great to hear, im not sure there are any though.

Thank you!

Ultimately, your biggest weakness is your mathematics. So you have two options:

1. Accept Aberystwyth
2. Take a foundation year at a higher ranked university that involves teaching you some math.

Foundation years generally include teaching you A-level math/further math, so you have to ask yourself, are you prepared to put in a lot of hours to learn mathematics; you would have to relearn GCSE math before you start your course, to ensure you have the proficiency required for the foundation year.

I have looked at Aberystwyth's CS course, and it is primarily focused on software development. It's not really a CS course. It's more of a software development degree. It's just labelled CS to attract more students to a nice titled degree.

So, if you're interested in only being a web developer, mobile developer, software dev/engineer, network developer/engineer, database developer. If you're interested in those types of jobs, then taking the offer at Aberystwyth is perfectly fine. If you ever want more than that, you will have great difficulties, since the lack of mathematics at their degree will hold you back further.

Given your basic knowledge in GCSE math, I recommend you take the offer at Aberystwyth.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by LeviLM

I applied to:

-Get a job.
-Volunteer work.

Thank you!

Hiya! First off, try not to be too discouraged by the rejections and congrats on the offers! Personally, I'd say that if you aren't at least 90% sure about accepting the offers from either university, don't accept them straight away. Maybe have a further look into both of them and see if you end up really liking one of them. On the other hand, if you feel strongly about Nottingham, a gap year would be a good option to boost your personal statement as it sounds like you pass the entry requirements just fine. Lots of people take gap years (more than you think!) and can be very beneficial. As you've said, you can get a job to help pay for living costs at university and gain other CS-related experience.

I'm not that knowledgeable about UCAS Extra so I won't talk about it but Clearing, while scary to think of, could actually be a good opportunity. Maybe have a look at what universities have gone into Clearing in the past to "predict" what unis may have spaces available this year but just note that it differs each year. Nottingham may have Clearing spots available too but don't bank on it. As another person has said, foundation years could also be worth looking into and calling up universities you like about those.

Thought I'd also put in a good word for my university. Lancaster's Computer Science course is one that doesn't require A-Level Maths. The only requirement is GCSE Maths at grade 6/B but if you see the course in Clearing, Admissions may be more lenient. I'm currently in my final year as a Computer Science student and I've thoroughly enjoyed my time here! Our course overall has less of an emphasis on maths and more so on the practical aspects of Computer Science so depending on what you prefer, this may be a pro (or a con hahah).

Ultimately, the choice is yours and I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you end up. Best of luck for the future!

- Sophia (Student Ambassador)
Reply 7
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hiya! First off, try not to be too discouraged by the rejections and congrats on the offers! Personally, I'd say that if you aren't at least 90% sure about accepting the offers from either university, don't accept them straight away. Maybe have a further look into both of them and see if you end up really liking one of them. On the other hand, if you feel strongly about Nottingham, a gap year would be a good option to boost your personal statement as it sounds like you pass the entry requirements just fine. Lots of people take gap years (more than you think!) and can be very beneficial. As you've said, you can get a job to help pay for living costs at university and gain other CS-related experience.

I'm not that knowledgeable about UCAS Extra so I won't talk about it but Clearing, while scary to think of, could actually be a good opportunity. Maybe have a look at what universities have gone into Clearing in the past to "predict" what unis may have spaces available this year but just note that it differs each year. Nottingham may have Clearing spots available too but don't bank on it. As another person has said, foundation years could also be worth looking into and calling up universities you like about those.

Thought I'd also put in a good word for my university. Lancaster's Computer Science course is one that doesn't require A-Level Maths. The only requirement is GCSE Maths at grade 6/B but if you see the course in Clearing, Admissions may be more lenient. I'm currently in my final year as a Computer Science student and I've thoroughly enjoyed my time here! Our course overall has less of an emphasis on maths and more so on the practical aspects of Computer Science so depending on what you prefer, this may be a pro (or a con hahah).

Ultimately, the choice is yours and I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you end up. Best of luck for the future!

- Sophia (Student Ambassador)

Hi Sophia! only just saw this.

Thanks for the words of advice, im gonna do some more research about the unis i currently have offers for and i have the idea of taking my offers and choosing to decline them later on during clearing (If i can get into somewhere id like to go more).
Original post by LeviLM

I applied to:

-Get a job.
-Volunteer work.

Thank you!

Hi there,

It's great to hear that you've been accepted to study at Aberystwyth!
It's a big decision to make, have you attended an Open Day at Aberystwyth at all? It might help you make your decision :smile:
If you have any questions about anything, or if you would like some more information I would be happy to help.

Anna
Reply 9
Original post by Aberystwyth University
Hi there,

It's great to hear that you've been accepted to study at Aberystwyth!
It's a big decision to make, have you attended an Open Day at Aberystwyth at all? It might help you make your decision :smile:
If you have any questions about anything, or if you would like some more information I would be happy to help.

Anna

Hi there Anna! I havent attended an open day no but i do plan on coming down for a day some time soon.
Original post by LeviLM
Hi there Anna! I havent attended an open day no but i do plan on coming down for a day some time soon.

Great! We have an Open Day this Saturday if you're interested: https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/study-with-us/open-days/
The next will be on July 8th :smile:

Anna
Original post by LeviLM

I applied to:

-Get a job.
-Volunteer work.

Thank you!

yo for nottingham uni dont they require a level maths?
Original post by swanseajack1
Here goes

Doing a computer course without A level Maths is very restricted.

Where top universities accept you with just GCSE they expect a reasonably high grade. If you do not meet it you will be automatically rejected as you have found out. You foolishly applied to 2 universities you didnt meet the entry requirement that you were never going to get into.

Nobody can really tell you what to do as different people have different requirements. My personal view is to take what you have been offered.

Your other choice is to decline Bangor and Aberystwyth and apply through extra. The problem is there are only limited universities in extra and there will be less in clearing.

If you want to take a gap year you still wont be accepted without a higher grade in GCSE.

I put this together a couple of years ago. Some things might have changed but it might help you coming to a decision.

Computer Science without A Level Maths

Aberystwyth grade C or4 GCSE
Aston grade 4 GCSE
Cardiff grade 6 GCSE
East Anglia grade 5 GCSE. Accepts A level in Computing Science and other subjects
Keele grade 4 GCSE
Kent grade 4 GCSE
Lancaster grade 6 GCSE
Leeds grade 6 GCSE Accepts Computing
Liverpool grade 4 GCSE Accepts Computer science
Newcastle grade 6 GCSE
Nottingham grade 5 Accepts Computing
Queen Mary grade 5 Accepts Computer Science
Reading Maths, Physics or Computer Science grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 6 accepts CS, Maths or Physics
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 6 in Maths or Physics

As can be seen there are very little options unless you have grade 6 GCSE Maths and nothing is going to much better than Aber.

hi i have a question about that list at the end, do all those usis offer comp sci without a level math? because i know for liverpool uni at least u need a level maths.
Original post by revo349
hi i have a question about that list at the end, do all those usis offer comp sci without a level math? because i know for liverpool uni at least u need a level maths.

This was the case when it was prepared
Original post by swanseajack1
This was the case when it was prepared

ah ok nvm then
Original post by revo349
ah ok nvm then

I have just checked you dont need Maths A level.

AAB including Maths or Computer Science
BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma

D*D*D plus A level Maths or Computer Science grade B.
Original post by LeviLM

I applied to:

-Get a job.
-Volunteer work.

Thank you!

Hi @LeviLM

Great that you've had an offer from us here at Bangor :smile:

Have you been to an offer holder day yet?

I'm sure this will help you with some of your decisions as it's an opportunity to look at things and ask in-depth questions :smile:

Let me know if I can help with anything.

Sera

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending