The Student Room Group

Relocating as an International Student in the UK - Need Advice

I hope you're doing well. I've been studying in Birmingham, UK for the past 2 years and 5 months as an international student.

However, due to some unforeseen changes in my course, I find myself in a situation where I need to relocate to London. This decision wasn't easy, but it's necessary for my academic journey.

The issue I'm currently facing is related to my housing situation.

I've been living in my current house for 2 years and 5 months, and my landlord has been issuing new rent agreements each year, asking me to continue for another year. It has become challenging for me this time.

Since I have to move to London, I informed my landlord about a month in advance, as per the agreement's terms. However, my landlord is now asking me to pay the re-letting cost and rent for the period until a new tenant is found.

This condition was included in the rent agreement, but it's proving to be financially difficult for me.

Paying rent for two places (the new one in London and my current home) while waiting for the landlord to find a new tenant is a considerable burden, especially for a student like me. I've tried to explain my situation to my landlord, but unfortunately, they are being quite strict and inflexible.

I'm reaching out to the community for advice. If anyone has been in a similar situation or has knowledge about UK tenant rights and regulations, I would greatly appreciate your guidance.
Original post by SurLab
I hope you're doing well. I've been studying in Birmingham, UK for the past 2 years and 5 months as an international student.

However, due to some unforeseen changes in my course, I find myself in a situation where I need to relocate to London. This decision wasn't easy, but it's necessary for my academic journey.

The issue I'm currently facing is related to my housing situation.

I've been living in my current house for 2 years and 5 months, and my landlord has been issuing new rent agreements each year, asking me to continue for another year. It has become challenging for me this time.

Since I have to move to London, I informed my landlord about a month in advance, as per the agreement's terms. However, my landlord is now asking me to pay the re-letting cost and rent for the period until a new tenant is found.

This condition was included in the rent agreement, but it's proving to be financially difficult for me.

Paying rent for two places (the new one in London and my current home) while waiting for the landlord to find a new tenant is a considerable burden, especially for a student like me. I've tried to explain my situation to my landlord, but unfortunately, they are being quite strict and inflexible.

I'm reaching out to the community for advice. If anyone has been in a similar situation or has knowledge about UK tenant rights and regulations, I would greatly appreciate your guidance.

To be honest, I think the landlord is being perfectly reasonable. You knew the clause was in the contract and it's there so that a tenant doesn't walk away from their responsibilities part-way through the tenancy and leave the landlord without an income.

For many landlords, rent is an important part of their income and yet you seem to think that he should go without and take on the burden and costs of finding someone new just because you chose to move elsewhere. There is no reason on earth for him to let you off and leave himself out of pocket. You are effectively taking food out of his mouth and you want him to be OK with this and release you from your responsibilities and obligations??

If you really want to explore whether there are any legal loopholes, then you need to contact the charity Shelter as they are the experts in this field.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending