The Student Room Group

Struggling with my final year and missed two essay deadlines

Hi

So I'm in my final year and I have one module that had two essays and another that had one. The two essay module I submitted the first one extremely late and had a mark reduction. I have really struggled to do the second one that I got a message today with failure to submit so I got an F.

For the second module I am three weeks late in submitting the essay but I haven't got a failure to submit message yet.

I know this sounds really bad and it sounds like I'm careless and irresponsible and maybe I am, but I have severe unmedicated combination ADHD and for some reason it has been getting worse and worse, especially with my final year. Everything is messed up and it is like every choice I make makes it worse. My uni knows I have ADHD but the second module that had one essay wasn't in my home department so they didn't allow an extension and I think that made me spiral even further and now I'm just stuck.

I also contacted the uni's therapy services to help me but they focus more on my home life etc, and the disability services only put in adjustments to be in another room for exams or essay extensions which do help but haven't in this case. I am going to meet with my personal tutor today but I don't know how it'll work out other than me crying.

I know this all sounds probably really dumb to some of you but this is how its turned out and I can't do much to change the past and just need a plan for the coming months.

I don't know what to do and I could use some advice if anyone has any.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi

So I'm in my final year and I have one module that had two essays and another that had one. The two essay module I submitted the first one extremely late and had a mark reduction. I have really struggled to do the second one that I got a message today with failure to submit so I got an F.

For the second module I am three weeks late in submitting the essay but I haven't got a failure to submit message yet.

I know this sounds really bad and it sounds like I'm careless and irresponsible and maybe I am, but I have severe unmedicated combination ADHD and for some reason it has been getting worse and worse, especially with my final year. Everything is messed up and it is like every choice I make makes it worse. My uni knows I have ADHD but the second module that had one essay wasn't in my home department so they didn't allow an extension and I think that made me spiral even further and now I'm just stuck.

I also contacted the uni's therapy services to help me but they focus more on my home life etc, and the disability services only put in adjustments to be in another room for exams or essay extensions which do help but haven't in this case. I am going to meet with my personal tutor today but I don't know how it'll work out other than me crying.

I know this all sounds probably really dumb to some of you but this is how its turned out and I can't do much to change the past and just need a plan for the coming months.

Hi there,

It sounds like you have been having a tough time and it can be really hard when you feel like you are falling behind.

My advice would be to see what your personal tutor says. I would explain the situation to them and see what advice they may be able to offer you. I would also say to keep in contact with the therapy and wellbeing teams at uni as they can help if you feel like it is getting too much for you. Also contacting your gp may be a good idea too.

You could also try talking to your module tutors too and ask for their advice and feedback on any assignments that you have been given back. Find out what you needed to do and make a plan of how you will implement these corrections going forward and this may help you to submit assignments on time.

I hope some of this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador
Reply 2
The ADHD is likely a large part of the issue and for me, you need to see a doctor.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi

Hi Anon,

I'm sorry to hear you are feeling like this.

I would recommend you contact your personal tutor and ask for their advice surrounding the missed deadlines. Explain the situation to them and hopefully they will be able to come up with a plan for you surrounding the assignment. They may also be able to give your advice based on past assignments to assist you in putting a plan forward for your assignments.

I would also contact your GP and explain to them that you are feeling overwhelmed with university currently. They may be able to put other resources in place to help support your ADHD and help you get through this difficult period.

I hope this is of some assistance,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep - 3rd year Children's Nursing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending