The Student Room Group

reapplying for first year - help!

hi,

i've got some questions about reapplying to a new university and would really appreciate some help!

so essentially i started studying at a university in September 2023. however, i've found that i'm really not enjoying the course, nor am i enjoying the university life very much. it's a smaller uni and i don't feel that i'm getting as much out of it as i wanted to. i've also realised that i would much rather be closer to home.

i've been researching what i would need to do to apply to a new university for 2024. basically, it would seem that i need to reapply through UCAS like i did the first time, and i can do this independently. i also don't want to be in a position where i drop out and then get no offers, so i would wait until i had a confirmed place before withdrawing from the current uni.

because this obviously isn't a super common thing to do, there's limited help/advice available online. the process is quite different to transferring into second year at a new uni. i have a few questions, and if anyone could assist that would be great!

a. who do i need to get a reference from for my ucas application? i hardly know anyone at my current uni well enough for them to write me one, but i read that some unis would not be happy with one from a sixth form teacher?

b. should i mention why i want to move universities when i revise my personal statement, or just completely leave it out? theres no obvious section for me to mention my situation, so i don't know how the new university would be aware.

c. i am aware that i need to add my current university in the 'education' section of the UCAS form. however, one question asks if i have, or will have, qualifications from the centre. do i say yes or no, as obviously i wont have them if i leave??

i just don't want to end up in a situation where i fill out something slightly wrong, mess up the whole application, and end up with 0 offers!

any extra advice or things i should know would be fab!

thank you :smile:
Original post by JessicaFife
hi,

i've got some questions about reapplying to a new university and would really appreciate some help!

so essentially i started studying at a university in September 2023. however, i've found that i'm really not enjoying the course, nor am i enjoying the university life very much. it's a smaller uni and i don't feel that i'm getting as much out of it as i wanted to. i've also realised that i would much rather be closer to home.

i've been researching what i would need to do to apply to a new university for 2024. basically, it would seem that i need to reapply through UCAS like i did the first time, and i can do this independently. i also don't want to be in a position where i drop out and then get no offers, so i would wait until i had a confirmed place before withdrawing from the current uni.

because this obviously isn't a super common thing to do, there's limited help/advice available online. the process is quite different to transferring into second year at a new uni. i have a few questions, and if anyone could assist that would be great!

a. who do i need to get a reference from for my ucas application? i hardly know anyone at my current uni well enough for them to write me one, but i read that some unis would not be happy with one from a sixth form teacher?

b. should i mention why i want to move universities when i revise my personal statement, or just completely leave it out? theres no obvious section for me to mention my situation, so i don't know how the new university would be aware.

c. i am aware that i need to add my current university in the 'education' section of the UCAS form. however, one question asks if i have, or will have, qualifications from the centre. do i say yes or no, as obviously i wont have them if i leave??

i just don't want to end up in a situation where i fill out something slightly wrong, mess up the whole application, and end up with 0 offers!

hey, I'm in the same position as you and also applied through ucas to transfer into first year.

i got my reference from my academic coach from uni, are you planning on using your first year grades or a level grades to transfer? if you are using your first year grades then i think it would be best to wait until you receive the offers before withdrawing.

it is annoying how there's not a lot of advice and support on this topic as we have to do it completely independently too. if anyone has a similar experience please reply!
Reply 2
Original post by caprisun2323
hey, I'm in the same position as you and also applied through ucas to transfer into first year.

i got my reference from my academic coach from uni, are you planning on using your first year grades or a level grades to transfer? if you are using your first year grades then i think it would be best to wait until you receive the offers before withdrawing.

it is annoying how there's not a lot of advice and support on this topic as we have to do it completely independently too. if anyone has a similar experience please reply!

ahhh glad I’m not alone!!

im going to use my a level grades to move uni. and yeah, I’ve also realised im best to wait out the rest of the year because i don’t know how i would pay the remainder of my accommodation if my student finance was stopped.

i know right!! just hoping i don’t mess it up, fingers crossed lol
If you are changing universities but wanting to do the same course, you may be able to transfer directly to year 2 at the new uni. Thus, how you perform in year 1 of your existing uni will matter. Most unis you want to transfer to will set an expected 1st-year pass of xxx in order for you to transfer. The figure xxx will vary from uni to uni - 55% would be a ballpark figure. You will not impress any potential new uni if you are averaging 40% so far. Thus work hard to get the best grades you can. Your personal tutor (if you have one) or your course/programme director can provide a reference.

Ignore the above if you are changing uni AND changing course. The new potential uni's will look at your A-level grades and personal statement. It's better to seek a reference from your old head of sixth form/college. They will mention that you are changing courses and universities. In your personal statement you should then also mention why you are changing courses and universities - 1 line is sufficient. Universities understand that people change their minds and want to change course/unis so its not a big deal.
Original post by JessicaFife
hi,

a) you'd be surprised. Arrange a 15 minute meeting with your tutor/course leader/head of year - explain how you're feeling and that you want to apply elsewhere to keep your options open and ask for a reference. They'll be able to provide one. A referee isn't a soul mate. They don't need to know your life story but they will be able to provide what's needed if you take some time to explain your thinking to them

b) if you're changing course then yes it's worth addressing - if you're not then why not apply for yr 2 entry as explained above? If you've been studying the subject you're applying to start again in september then you should have something relevant to include from the last year. Reusing a PS from sixth form is allowed - but not ideal. If your reasons for switching are personal then you can ask your referee to mention them in your reference instead of putting negative stuff in your PS

c) You MUST list your current study in your education section on UCAS including pending results if you're going to complete any modules - undergraduate credit (completed modules) is a formal qualification and MUST be listed

Have you read the University Transfer FAQ OP? https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424
Reply 5
Thank you both for your replies - that's really helpful! My plan is to change both courses and unis as neither seemed to be a good fit for me. All is going well so far; basically just need to get my reference and finish my personal statement (which isn't as dreadful as I expected) and it's ready to go.

Any thing else I should know/advice off the top of your head?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending