The Student Room Group

durham philosophy/theology degree- cold feet- need advice

post removed
(edited 1 year ago)
I dont want to change degrees- but i want job security with a good salary, and would be willing to sacrifice it for a degree that could get me that...Ive been told Phil/Th is really hard with minimal payoff, and so ive been considering law- but dont know if i want to do that for a career.

You can get job security and semi-good salary without a degree. A degree doesn't guarantee that.
If you want to become a full time professional philosopher, then I think you can call yourself long term unemployed (you don't need a degree to become a philosopher, but you do need to read a lot). Since that's not what you intend to do, the philosophy/theology degree won't hurt you.
If you want to become a religious leader, the degree can help you get into the field, but it's strictly not necessary. See: https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/religious-leader
Even if you don't want to go and become a researcher or teacher in philosophy or theology, you can still go into a number of fields with the degree that you have e.g. anything in business that doesn't require heavy maths including accounting, anything in writing (not high paying on average), civil service, law, design (if you have the skills), etc. If you want a more comprehensive list, let me know.

some have said "do the Law conversion if you want to", but i do not believe for one moment that i could enter the field of law i was considering (IP or corp) with a first degree that isnt in economics or business.
To become a solicitor, you can get in with a degree in any subject via the SQE. To become a barrister, you would need a law degree/law conversion curse if your first degree isn't an LLB.
You don't need a degree in economics or business to become an IP lawyer. If anything, a degree in economics or business is less relevant. See:
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/patent-attorney
To become a corporate lawyer, you need to become a solicitor. See:
https://www.brightnetwork.co.uk/career-profiles/corporate-lawyer/#training
If you want to become a solicitor, you would do the SQE, which just requires you to have a degree in any subject
The challenge with any of these jobs is securing the role then the training contract, not doing the degree.
I think you need to stop, think what career you’d like to do, then check what degree you’d need for that. Many unis offer foundation years so if you don’t have the right A levels that could be an option. Don’t pick based on what others say, what you think people will want/expect, what pays lots of money. Work out what will make YOU happy.
Sorry, don't know what TC is an abbreviation for.

I second with @Xevud, do what you need for the career you want and go for the career that makes you happy as opposed to everything else. If this is as a priest or a philosopher, then so be it (support yourself with jobs/businesses on the side if you need to).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending